Longest bar for a single powerhead ?.... or....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
..... Have you run into needing a longer bar?
I bought a 62” bar for my 3120 last year.... it’s gotten more use than I expected.

Now I have a really beautiful Burly maple crotch to mill.
The two legs are each 24” + main is 38”.... the span requires a 90” to clear it with live edges intact.
I have a second powerhead (441).

Not having gone down this path before, Should I plan for a dble header bar now or maybe can I get by with the 3120 for this single tree?
It’s a beautiful piece... want to get it right.
Thanks for the opinions.

I don't know what's right or wrong here. I'd stay with a single power head and just let it cut at it's own pace. I saw a guy with 2 090's on a double and he just couldn't get them to run right together. My Super 1050 would have done a better job than what his double was doing. Now, I would imagine if they were running right, they would be pretty awesome to watch.

Thanks !

I’ve been shopping inline and only find double enders at 96” bar length.
Canon can sell a helper handle with it to turn the corner.
Grandberg has the same... imagine it’s made by Canon.

It’s only 5-6 cuts to slab this guy out. I can take it slow.
Twin power-heads is not something I savor trying.

Now Starting to doubt 96” will do it. May have to re-think all of this.

..... Have you run into needing a longer bar?
I bought a 62” bar for my 3120 last year.... it’s gotten more use than I expected.

Now I have a really beautiful Burly maple crotch to mill.
The two legs are each 24” + main is 38”.... the span requires a 90” to clear it with live edges intact.
I have a second powerhead (441).

Not having gone down this path before, Should I plan for a dble header bar now or maybe can I get by with the 3120 for this single tree?
It’s a beautiful piece... want to get it right.
Thanks for the opinions.
I want to see pictures! That’ll be pretty cool looking!

Call cannon and see what they can come up with. I’m sure you’re not the first guy to want something large and specific!

Haha for sure...I would opt for finding a single power head bar setup as you’ll get more cutting room compared to a double ended bar. Unless you come across a double ended bar large enough then just toss a handle on one end. Not sure how much larger than 96” one can find though.

I remember reading on here of someone who had a massive bar that I believe they welded up??? I know what the costs of a big bar are and for all that $$ I would just get/ make one up..See here https://www.google.com/search?q=wel...ome..69i57.10056j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8, first post APril 19, 2008.. towards the bottom''L&M'' in portland, plus some good advice otherwise..
My 3120 pulls fine with a 84" bar, I would think at 10' you will still be cutting but that might be the max..
Good luck
PS it sucks that I cannot post info from another forum that is relevant to a discussion here..

If it’s for just a few cuts I wouldn’t think the downsides of making your own would be of concern. Make sure she’s straight, take your time so it doesn’t warp, and have at it. Could be kind of an interesting project. I think going slow and keeping a super sharp chain will be key. Might be annoying but depending on how the first cut goes it may be worth touching up after every cut with a bar that big.

Call cannon and see what they can come up with. I’m sure you’re not the first guy to want something large and specific!
Cannon will make you whatever you want, I'm quite sure of it, but it will be expensive and the lead time will be long.
Double enders lose a whole bunch of length due to mounting of the powerheads. I'd run a single powerhead and see how it goes.

120" Cannon $2,936.99 CAD
108' Cannon $2,695.99 CAD
96" Cannon $1,449.99 CAD
These are all double enders, from Canadian eq. outfitters..
I doubt they have them in stock but you never know..

As I understand it, you have to run two power heads that are similar in power (10ccs difference) and are tuned up pretty closely. I don’t know that a 441 and a 3120 would run well together.

This is based on Granberg’s assertion and other stuff picked up on the “inter web”. I have no practical experience. I have explored getting a 395xp to go with my 390 - but dang those big bars are pricey.

By the time you buy a second 3120 and a monster bar . . .. plus, field sharpening a 96 inch chain would be . . .

As I understand it, you have to run two power heads that are similar in power (10ccs difference) and are tuned up pretty closely. I don’t know that a 441 and a 3120 would run well together.

This is based on Granberg’s assertion and other stuff picked up on the “inter web”. I have no practical experience. I have explored getting a 395xp to go with my 390 - but dang those big bars are pricey.

By the time you buy a second 3120 and a monster bar . . .. plus, field sharpening a 96 inch chain would be . . .
Yes... I'll keep it to one powerhead. I've read more and don't want to get into double powerhead mess.

Latest posts

Back