Looking for a chainsaw chain type

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Reaction score
I used to have chainsaw chains that were two stage, instead of the typical one stage and was wondering if anyone knows if they still are available. It has been a while since I have had one, but I will try to describe it best I can. Basically, the chain links consisted of depth gauge, the two cutting teeth that ran in the same direction as the chain and they were the same distance apart as the with of the cutting chisel which was the third piece. These intermediate teeth cut the wood longitudenal (Sp?) so the typical chisel tooth was only cutting the bottom. Whereas with typical chains, the chisel tooth has to cut wood on three sides. Thanks for anyones help.

Sort of, but the "scoring" teeth would be on the same link. Someone told me it was called razorback chain, but not sure if that is just what they called it or not.

From the drawing I think you're describing Kolve chain...

Bill G. has posted these pictures in the past...

attachment.php

attachment.php

They don't make it anymore. It's garbage. Pieces of the flared teeth would break off in the cut and then dull the rest of the chain.

You can still find it on e-bay once in a while but it's relatively worthless to cut with.

I loved the chains when I had them, maybe their quality dropped off. That sucks though, my long quest ends in disappointment. Thanks for your help though.

I used to have chainsaw chains that were two stage, instead of the typical one stage and was wondering if anyone knows if they still are available. It has been a while since I have had one, but I will try to describe it best I can. Basically, the chain links consisted of depth gauge, the two cutting teeth that ran in the same direction as the chain and they were the same distance apart as the with of the cutting chisel which was the third piece. These intermediate teeth cut the wood longitudenal (Sp?) so the typical chisel tooth was only cutting the bottom. Whereas with typical chains, the chisel tooth has to cut wood on three sides. Thanks for anyones help.

I'm wondering why you want this kind of chain? It's the first time I've ever seen one.
Gypo

When I used the chain, it work much better than a standard full chisel chain did. The cutting speed was faster. But I am not a full time logger, I only work in construction and sell firewood. Some of the PM's I got, which were mostly from professional loggers, thought the chain was junk. To each his own, but I would be willing to pay more for it than standard chain.

Oddly enough, since I have talked to numerous people since I started looking for this chain again, half the people I talk to say the Kolve chain company went out of business (which is why it is no longer available), the other half say the chain was outlawed due to extreme kickbacks, then that caused the company to go out of business.

Weird Chain

You said you used chisel chain and the weird chain that you are looking for cut better. My guess is that the chisel chain was not sharpened right. I am doing extensive research for a book I am writing and have seen the sharpening jobs of dozens of saw shops and individuals. Most are crap. The angles are wrong-with the result being much slower cutting speed, a bar and chain that wears out 2-10 times faster than it should, a power head that is working too hard, and wearing out much faster, etc. I was helping a tree service on a job recently and noticed that the guy assisting me had a saw that wasn't cutting well. I cut in the same piece of wood with my saw and his and he said mine, (same saw size) cut twice as fast. His chain was just sharpened, mine was on its second day! This is common.

Go to someone that knows how to sharpen and that takes down the rakers to the correct depth and you will notice a big difference. I sharpen only with a Simington or Silvey, only square ground. Finding someone that sharpens correctly is difficult-though many people are happy with the way their saw shop sharpens; this is because they have never known a chain that cut like it should.

Terry,
I understand exactly what you mean. I have lived all over Pennsylvania and probably had chains done at over a dozen shops and definitely some are better than others. It is just my personal opinion that I liked to use the chain, but I understand not all people will agree. I am just hoping one of those people still has the Kolve chain laying around and will sell it to me.:bang:

Latest posts

Back