Looking for a fast growing vine. Any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for a screen for an open pole fence. Some thing with edible berries would be a plus but not necessary (speedy growth is number one priority). How about a grape of some kind?

Thanks,
r

I bought a Chocolate Vine a few years ago....how could I resist with a name like that!!?? It was a 99cent fall special...stuck it in the middle of my garden and have been cutting it back ever since...I guess I really need to put it somewhere. I was looking at it this morning though...amazing the way the woody vine wrapped neatly around the tomato cage I put near by. Nice foliage. Little tiny purple flowers....I haven't a clue why it got the name though...I was hoping for a chocolate fragrance...something in Godiva would have been nice.

I looked it up on google....looks like it goes down at least to zone 5

info on chocolate vine

Mike,

Me to one of my neighbors: "Oh you bet those berries are edible. Help yourself". ha ha

Che,

Thanks for the info. Looks good.

rusty

Trumpet vine, honeysuckle vine grows fast too. But be prepared for an invasion. English or Boston Ivy may work too, and is somewhat easier to control, doesn't get so woody.

If it's in a well protected spot, you might try a climbing Hydrangea, though it might get too cold there.

There's also climbing roses and wintercreeper (Euonymous fortueii, did I spell that even remotely close to right???:D) might climb a fence if encouraged to.

Dan

I'd love to shoot whoever planted English Ivy around my parents property. This stuff is nearly impossible to get under control. Takes over all kinds of structures, trees, etc. If you have the ability to keep control of it, good, it'll grow like crazy.

Grapes. Mine are growing faster than weeds, faster than I can put up more arbors. The wild animals eat more than we do. They found my blueberry bushes. I’m not sure if they hit my 125’ of blackberry or raspberry’s yet. I seen one big rabbit so I planted all the berries.

Latest posts

Back