Making Spark Plug Pressure / Vacuum Testing Adapters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

These adapters provide access to the internal crankcase / cylinder of an engine for performing vacuum and pressure testing on engines without a pulse nipple (mostly small saws and trimmers) and best of all gets rid of the need for the specialized Stihl / Husky / Etc. adapters. All you have to do now is to block off the intake and exhaust ports with a plate and rubber gasket.

CAUTION: The sparkplug insulator ceramic is very brittle and will shatter sending small pieces of ceramic everywhere at high velocity! Be sure to wear safety glasses and cover the ceramic with a rag if all possible.

I don't know who actually recommended using old spark plugs as a base for these but they are not slam-dunk easy to disassemble. I started by breaking the insulator off in a vise. I next moved to a punch and a small chisel. Punching out the center electrode makes room for the ceramic chips to go and simplifies the remaining disassembly.

One of the key issues is holding the plug securely without damaging the threads. I used a vice but an old cylinder or cylinder head would probably work better.

Rather than trying to isolate the connecting nipples with a tube and then potting everything I opted to fill the carcases with potting and then drill and tap once the potting had cured. For potting material I used the regular (long cure) J-B Weld.

Here are the carcases ready for potting:
IMG_2790.JPG

Here are the potted adapters ready for further machining. Be careful when potting and do it slowly as you don't want any entrapped air bubbles in the potting material!

IMG_2792.JPG
Here are the adapters with the potting leveled off and the pilot through hole drilled. Note the thankfully small bubble in the larger adapter.
IMG_2899.JPG
Note that the the potting material is considerably SOFTER than any kind of metal and therefore will not self center the drill bits as they would in a block of metal. The drill and the sparkplug must be lined up and secured in position while drilling!

Here is how I like to start a tap especially in soft material like this potting material. I take the belt loose from the motor and turn the drill press chuck by hand. It has to be straight! I then finish up with the regular tap handle.
IMG_2902.JPG

Here are the finished adapters WITHOUT the sealing "O"- rings to keep them from leaking around the spark plug threads. The "O"- rings will take the place of the normal compression washers (which have been removed) and will allow the adapters to seal when hand tightened in use.
IMG_2905.JPG
The brass fittings are 3/16 hose to 1/8-27 NPT and I found them at our local hardware store. I didn't have the plug carcases with me or I would have bought the "O"-rings then!

Enjoy!

Steve

Good write up. I did one up over 10 years ago but decided when I saw this at Lordco auto parts for $8 I had to buy it. I still have the spark plug one somewhere around here though.

1aa9637a3f2409d084923ea7123b5154.jpg

Nice job! I have made dozens of them for myself and others and to make it easier to get the insulator/porcelain/ceramic center out take a cut off blade in a mini grinder and cut the roll formed top edge off the sparkplug base, the center will come right out.

Sparkplug non foulers and glue a 1\4" brass hose barb in with jb weld.line up the holes in the non fouler and barb with a chop stick until it sets up.;)

Good write up. I did one up over 10 years ago but decided when I saw this at Lordco auto parts for $8 I had to buy it. I still have the spark plug one somewhere around here though.

Where were you 3 weeks ago! For $8.00 I would have bought one! Lordco seems to be specific to BC Canada. Anyone have any idea of where to get these in the states?

Where were you 3 weeks ago! For $8.00 I would have bought one! Lordco seems to be specific to BC Canada. Anyone have any idea of where to get these in the states?

i'm still trying to figure out how some chinese kid makes this thing for $8 LOL at least i think it's chinese. i believe KD tools make one too and they should be state side.

Nice job! I have made dozens of them for myself and others and to make it easier to get the insulator/porcelain/ceramic center out take a cut off blade in a mini grinder and cut the roll formed top edge off the sparkplug base, the center will come right out.

After disassembling these I figured out that the insulator HAD to go in in one piece and the steel base had to be rolled over somehow. Well there is always next time...

After disassembling these I figured out that the insulator HAD to go in in one piece and the steel base had to be rolled over somehow. Well there is always next time...

I just thought I would chuck that tidbit in there cause it makes removal much easier, my first couple I struggled with same as you did but already knew how a plug was made from back in racing/high performance days, just had to use my noggin and a grinder.
Another thing I can chuck in, I solder all mine in, its easy if you have the tools and only takes a couple minutes to do 2 - 3 at a time.

i'm still trying to figure out how some chinese kid makes this thing for $8 LOL at least i think it's chinese. i believe KD tools make one too and they should be state side.
Nope kd is made in china or taiwan now.actually it isn't kd now its gearwrench.really sucks because all my tools were kd and usa made gear wrenches.

Nope kd is made in china or taiwan now.actually it isn't kd now its gearwrench.really sucks because all my tools were kd and usa made gear wrenches.

my tools are mastercraft. tougher then any snap-on, lifetime no questions asked warranty, and less then 1/4 the price. snap-on ARE fools tools. i do own alot of snap-on, Blue point, Jet, Westward, Crescent, Stanley, KD etc..... as well but my favorites are the mastercraft. they can't be beaten with price or durability. ya that's what this one was now that i hear you mention it. was a gear wrench although lordco sell gear wrench and KD still currently.

my tools are mastercraft. tougher then any snap-on, lifetime no questions asked warranty, and less then 1/4 the price. snap-on ARE fools tools. i do own alot of snap-on, Blue point, Jet, Westward, Crescent, Stanley, KD etc..... as well but my favorites are the mastercraft. they can't be beaten with price or durability. ya that's what this one was now that i hear you mention it. was a gear wrench although lordco sell gear wrench and KD still currently.
Reason i have kd is because my local auto parts used to sell them and i found a 400 piece set on ebay back in the good old days for $25 new in the box.plus shipping of course.used to have all craftsman til i got hooked on kd.now everybody has lost all my stuff and i give up and just bought an old cheap set of kobalts a while back to carry in my truck.

Latest posts

Back