Makita dolkita dcs6421 rev limiter sound? Video clip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

August76

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Why is it that this saw sounds like it has a rev limiter on it but you only hear it when you're in the wood? Here is a clip of me rip cutting some big rounds because I don't have a splitter

Interesting. Does this saw have what they call a limiter coil?

The saw is tuned rich as mentioned above. Yes it has a revlimited coil, don't know what rpm the newer coils kick in at, the older saws were limited to 13,500 rpm. With the saw nice and hot, and under good load, lean the H out until it just stops four stroking in the cut.

The saw is tuned rich as mentioned above. Yes it has a revlimited coil, don't know what rpm the newer coils kick in at, the older saws were limited to 13,500 rpm. With the saw nice and hot, and under good load, lean the H out until it just stops four stroking in the cut.
Ok. The dcs6421 says 13500rpm on the website. So being rich will it lose power?

To me the tune sounded slightly rich, not much at all. The problem with cutting with the grain (like you are milling ) is it cuts slower and much harder to load the saw. IMO thats mostly why your saw is 4 stroking in the cut.
Next time try rotating the round 90* (so the bark side is on the ground) and start cutting from the top (bark side), cut 1/2 to 2/3 the way through the round than set it up right and bust it apart with a maul or good axe. Doing it this way you could have had 3 rounds halved in the same amount of time.

To me the tune sounded slightly rich, not much at all. The problem with cutting with the grain (like you are milling ) is it cuts slower and much harder to load the saw. IMO thats mostly why your saw is 4 stroking in the cut.
Next time try rotating the round 90* (so the bark side is on the ground) and start cutting from the top (bark side), cut 1/2 to 2/3 the way through the round than set it up right and bust it apart with a maul or good axe. Doing it this way you could have had 3 rounds halved in the same amount of time.
Thats exactly how i have been doing it. Much faster. I hit some knotts in this cut...Lots of french fries... this saw makes that noise in pretty much any cut

The theory is to protect the bottom end. What can happen is those that don't know better think the saws still too rich and they lean out the mixture too much and burn up the saw. I personally don't like rev limiting coils.
Thats exactly why im not touching my saw

So is there a reason for that because eventually if this saw ever burns up I'm going to swap The Jug to a 79 CC
The 7910 must be one nasty song because the 64 is a mean saw
The only thing I have to compare the 7910 is my ported 590. Both pulling a 24 the 7910 walks away in big wood and the 590 is no slouch.

The theory is to protect the bottom end. What can happen is those that don't know better think the saws still too rich and they lean out the mixture too much and burn up the saw. I personally don't like rev limiting coils.
I'd like to do the 272 coil swap but I'm not comfortable doing it my self. Seems like the 7910 would be happy around 13.2-13.3 stock.

The only thing I have to compare the 7910 is my ported 590. Both pulling a 24 the 7910 walks away in big wood and the 590 is no slouch.

I'd like to do the 272 coil swap but I'm not comfortable doing it my self. Seems like the 7910 would be happy around 13.2-13.3 stock.
Why not just get a coil from a 64cc dolmar

Back