McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot about seeing those. I have a couple of those sets as well, inspired me to make some similar plates for the 10 Series and the large frame saws.

I took it one step further and got an old inner tube from the local garage and made a few gaskets to insure a good seal with pressure and vacuum testing.

Mark

does anyone have a template for the graphics for the air filter cover for a 10-10A. rebuilding/painting mine. also, trying to determine what "sticky" material to use that won't pull the fresh paint off after painting graphics.
also, will regular O-rings suffice when putting the two case halfs together? any other sealant recommended? fixing to reassemble mine and just as soon avoid tearing it down again.
thanks, jerry

Jerry - Where were you planning to put the O-rings? The only spot I can think of would be under the flange heads of 12-24 screws that hold the oil tank/crankcase bottom on the saw.

I have used o-rings rather than the sealing washers that come on the screws new, but I always use a dab of Threebond as well.

Threebond on the crankcase halves and work quickly. The only one I ever had to "do over" was a saw with mismatched case halves.

I'll send a PM in a few minutes regarding the other parts.

Mark

Jerry - Where were you planning to put the O-rings? The only spot I can think of would be under the flange heads of 12-24 screws that hold the oil tank/crankcase bottom on the saw.

I have used o-rings rather than the sealing washers that come on the screws new, but I always use a dab of Threebond as well.

Threebond on the crankcase halves and work quickly. The only one I ever had to "do over" was a saw with mismatched case halves.

I'll send a PM in a few minutes regarding the other parts.

Mark
yeah, that's where I was wanting to use them. the sealing washers are so distorted i'd prefer not to use them. threebond is what I was wondering about. thanks mark

btw, went to my favorite little store and scored a right hand start 10-10A carcass. it had the af and muffler I was looking for.
missing the clutch/starter. everything else, except what I stole, is there. p/c look good through the exhaust port. anyone needing a carcass? just cover postage and its yours.

See if the link works, otherwise try McCulloch BP399T in youtube or google and it should come up. I am in the red, white and blue sweat shirt, Joey Taylor in the brown carhart jeans, and Mitch Weber taking the video. Everyone is wearing hearing protection...

Since I have a spare again, I will try to start taking my runner with me to GTG's in the coming year so others can appreciate it as well.

Mark

What are the applications for thus engine?

Brian - you have me turning yellow with envy. The best I could do lately was this low hour saw...

IMG_1288.JPG

Redfin - the idea at McCulloch was to get into the growing snowmobile market by supplying engines. They had other applications in mind as well but all were of the recreational vehicle nature. I don't know how well the article will reproduce here but it comes from the 1970 December Popular Science. I know a guy...

McCulloch_BP_engine_484x686.jpg

IMG_1255.JPG

Mark

Mark, why does that PM850s have a different color sticker for the name plate? It looks like it doesn't belong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That saw came more or less directly from the McCulloch laboratory, I got it from Mike Jackson who's father Robert Jackson was an electrical engineer working at McCulloch. This one is supposed to have an developmental electronic ignition but I have not ventured to far as to remove the cover to have a look. I suppose the sticker may have been developmental as well...

Mark

Back