McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PM850 is a great saw. They are definitely better than the PM800 and later models. However, I don't think they are any different in power vs the SP80 or SP81.

On of my favorite saws for cutting firewood is a SP81 with a .404 chain and a 8 tooth rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PM805 is a heavier saw. It has less low end power and maybe a little more high end power. The 805 has a quieter muffler which is a lot bigger and adds to the weight. The 805 also has a different cylinder as the exhaust port is shaped different for easier starting. There are some more minor differences but pictures will tell a better story.

I don't have access to my pictures right now though.

Joe

Are the 805 & 8200 similar in noise reduction & performance to an 800? I would think so but just asking. My 800 is a low hour saw and tight like a brand new saw or it would be gone. It is extremely smooth and comfortable compared to an 046, though heavier. But run it next to an 850 and the performance differences are quite apparent. I have run mine against three 850's and the results are always the same. Now I have a pair of complete sp80 & sp81 that need some attention and wonder how they would fair against an 850?

The 805 and 8200 are very similar in performance. The 8200 cylinder is different and it had a 3 piece crank

I would say all my sp80, sp81, and 850's are "too close to call" which one performs better. They are all the same weight and same noise level too.

Now I've got one sp81 with a little more intake timing and slight timing advance. It still has the low end power like the early 82cc saws but it also has upper rpm power as well.

Ron (rwoods) would say the muffler on the PM800 is tuned to the point it makes more power, certainly the PM800/805/Super 850/PM8200/DE80 are quiet compared to the PM850/SP80/SP81 saws. I like a saw that sounds like a saw so I will continue to use the 7-10 and PM850 whenever I can.

At the WKY GTG in 2014 we ran a SP81, PM800, DE80, PM8200, PM850, and Dolmar 7900 all in the same piece of sycamore and the PM850 was the closest to the 7900.

I do have one SP81 with a NOS cylinder and piston but I keep a short bar on that one for GTG's and Baraboo, this year I finally beat the reigning champ, McCulloch 250 that had been pretty much untouchable for the past 6 or 7 years.

Mark

If you believe MAC advertising the newer 82cc saws make more hp, but I would put my money on the opinion of those who have run both. From what I read I am beginning to regret selling my NOS old style cylinder.

Back to MAC's claims - the only performance related differences I have observed between the old and the new are:
1). The new has a q port exhaust i.e. a small tapered vertical slot in the exhaust port which bleeds off compression.

2) The new has a larger intake - created by a small horizontal slot that goes half across the top of the intake port.

3) The new has a large muffler that takes up all available space under the saw.

I know very little about two strokes, but I would think if anything #1 would decrease performance slightly. #2 would pull more fuel and might enhance performance. Then we come to #3, I am only quessing that all of the volume created by the flunky shape was done for performance but maybe it was just for noise reduction.

Is there some reason that the 82cc MACs would spin faster than a PM700? Do the old ones? I raise this question because back in January of 1981, I was going to buy a PM800, but the dealer asked my intended use and advised me to buy a PM700. He told me that a 700 ran around 9500 rpm while the 800 ran around 12000. He thought I would burn up the 800 cutting firewood given the light load he invisioned. Maybe he didn't know anymore than me and was just spouting off. BTW a 700 cost me $450. I don't remember the cost of a 800. It seems many years later Bailey's was selling DE80s for $575.00.

Ron

Looks to me like it might be a sp80 or early sp81 since it does have the 82cc muffler and no chain brake and no operator presence level. Also, the cylinder is painted yellow which was primarily on the early saws.

Check to see if it has a three shoe clutch!

Certainly an 82 cc muffler, need to see more to determine SP80/81/81E. I have several examples of each and the painted cylinder is typically found on the SP80.

I have one SP80 with the three shoe clutch, turns out the crankshaft is the same on all the saws only the clutch is different. If I remember correctly, this one came from Ross (exSW).

DSC07043.JPG

Mark

Alright guys I've been trying to figure this out I recently acquired a 10-10A and after cleaning it up a little I went out to run it took a few pulls nothing. Went to the Carb and noticed the stupid choke lever came disconnected. Bring it back out and within 2 pulls it starts sweet. Well warm it up a bit and go to do some Carb adjustments but soon as I remove the air filter the saw dies so I adjust a little and start the saw back up. 1 pull so I go to make a cut with it and it just slowly bogs down under a load. The saw will not die and stall out it will slowly make it through the cut. I gave up on it for the night go back and there was a puddle under the saw which was the gas tank seal just fixed that could that have been my problem with the power should it run better now or is there some where else I should be looking

Didn't even think about that I'll check it other than downloaded the shop manual says should start Carb screws L&H at 1 full turn and work from there so I turned them back found out I had a leak holding the gas tank together. Other than that this is really my fault the chain was dead missing teeth rakers were way to high other than that I noticed the chain had been sharpened so many times they starting filing down the links WOW I really should have looked makes me feel stupid. I did everything I believe I needed to put a new chain on and I'll take her out tomorrow and see how it is goes

putting my restored 10-10A back together. looking at IPL I see there is sposed to be two thrust washers and a seal between the points cover and the flywheel; no other information. anyone know what the washers and seal look like? if I know I might can cobble something together. thanks, jerry

Back