McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it turns out to be the real thing. It sound like the source is good.

Now to find that CP80....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 456374View attachment 456375View attachment 456376
Picked this one up today from original owner, he told me that this original chain has never been sharpened.
That is a thing of beauty!!! That's as close to NOS as you can get! Not even a scuff on the handle. But does it have the decompression valve? Mine have the big red button out the side where the notch is in the clutch cover. It must be near the plug like the 850s. Very cool saw, I love mine.
Eric

There were two versions of the PM800, Q port and compression release. The Q port was a "notch" in the exhaust port that made it easier to pull the engine over for starting but theoretically did not hurt the HP developed, in fact the early documents claimed the Q port made for easier starting, reduced exhaust noise, and increased power. This is a PM8200 block but you get the idea.

DSC07152.JPG

The PM800 saw with the Q port could use the clutch cover with the opening for the compression release valve, or not.

DSC07095.JPG

DSCN5670.JPG

Other versions had the compression release above the muffler that requires a special coarse threaded compression release valve (3/8-16).

DSC07091.JPG

Mark

I had a NOS PM8200 at one time. I like to use my saws so I sold it.

I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one PM8200 complete, one PM8200 short block in good condition, and one PM8200 in ?? condition in the attic. In my limited experience the PM8200 saws have a vibration the other 82 cc saws do not. I thought perhaps the crankshaft was tweaked (3 piece crankshaft on the PM8200 only) so I took one all the way down and sent it to Tree Monkey to have it checked, he determined the crankshaft was fine.

Mark

There were two versions of the PM800, Q port and compression release. The Q port was a "notch" in the exhaust port that made it easier to pull the engine over for starting but theoretically did not hurt the HP developed, in fact the early documents claimed the Q port made for easier starting, reduced exhaust noise, and increased power. This is a PM8200 block but you get the idea.

View attachment 456439

The PM800 saw with the Q port could use the clutch cover with the opening for the compression release valve, or not.

View attachment 456443

View attachment 456444

Other versions had the compression release above the muffler that requires a special coarse threaded compression release valve (3/8-16).

View attachment 456440

Mark

Nice! I learned something today! I knew they had the Q port on the PM 650. Dan (rockcrusher on ebay) has a bunch of NOS 650 blocks and he has it described pretty well. How does a 800 Q port vs. decomp valve version compare pulling over?

I believe that all of the late model 82cc MACs are Q ports (PM 800, PM 805, DE 80, 8200 and Super 850). The only difference between dsp and non-dsp is a valve instead of a bolt and a small hole bored into the cylinder in the center of the threaded hole. While the Q port is the same the cylinder and case of a 8200 are unique to it.

Ron

I recently turned 60 and I can start either version without really noticing much difference.

The secret to starting most any saw is to pull it like you mean it. Compression release or Q port the big difference is how long the starter parts will last.

Just ask Joey...

Mark

I can tell you right now that some saws don't want to be started no matter how hard you pull... my 790 being one of them. Broke a recoil/clutch cover pulling it over.

The beast needs a throttle rod, but I haven't gotten around to that yet... was hoping someone might list one on ebay. Maybe I'll check the former McCulloch dealer right by me. I'm sure they'd flip their lid to see a 790...

Former dealer is just that... all of the stuff they had for Macs was bought by and went to some guy in Minnesota. So no more local parts source.

I can tell you right now that some saws don't want to be started no matter how hard you pull... my 790 being one of them. Broke a recoil/clutch cover pulling it over.

The beast needs a throttle rod, but I haven't gotten around to that yet... was hoping someone might list one on ebay. Maybe I'll check the former McCulloch dealer right by me. I'm sure they'd flip their lid to see a 790...
I have a 790 just like that. Funny though, I have two 890's that pull just fine.

I'm wrenching again. Been 2 years since I bought a saw. The 250 arrived last week. Was a friend's grandfather's. Very good shape, just needs a bath, carb kit, and maybe a fuel tank gasket.
20151022_190023.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1443755965139.jpg
    FB_IMG_1443755965139.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 20
Back