McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a LOT of old Macs! Also saw an ad for an 850 for $865. Seems a bit on the optimistic side. They can't really fetch that much out there, can they?

Rob
Rob, the 850 will probably still be listed in the fall if the price doesn't drop significantly. But the 10 series saws, (from what the I read on this site) are quite collectable. I counted and figured about $15 a powerhead. Dats pretty cheap in my opinion.. I'm gonna do a look/see this afternoon. I do think we have more of the older MACs here in the PNW, cuz of McCullough being based in L.A., during the logging hay-day..

That's a LOT of old Macs! Also saw an ad for an 850 for $865. Seems a bit on the optimistic side. They can't really fetch that much out there, can they?

Rob
Rob, the 850 will probably still be listed in the fall if the price doesn't drop significantly. But the 10 series saws, (from what the I read on this site) are quite collectable. I counted and figured about $15 a powerhead. Dats pretty cheap in my opinion.. I'm gonna do a look/see this afternoon. I do think we have more of the older MACs here in the PNW, cuz of McCullough being based in L.A., during the logging hay-day..

Wellllllllllllll......................do you have them yet? ;)
The SP80 looks nice, but you never know how bad of shape they're in until you get there.
I'm gonna look. I eyeballed the 80 also.. I have one on the bench been straight gased. I haven't opened it up yet, but it's never good. I'll post on this site tonight when I know more

Hi there, I am posting in this thread after being directed here for some McCulloch advice. I have what seems to be kind of a unicorn. The reason that I am posting to this site is because the power unit looks a lot like a 940 saw engine. I picked up this Mccullouch 2stroke welder last summer and it doesn't have spark. It is a points system and I checked and cleaned the points, checked the points cam for damage. It also seems to have another smaller "coil" that is connected to the main coil. I have tried finding one of these for sale and have been unable to come up with anything online. I also have bought a Nova II for it but haven't installed it. Have any of you installed one of those on these or 940s and if so how. Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are attached.
Cheers,
Cole

Hi there, I am posting in this thread after being directed here for some McCulloch advice. I have what seems to be kind of a unicorn. The reason that I am posting to this site is because the power unit looks a lot like a 940 saw engine. I picked up this Mccullouch 2stroke welder last summer and it doesn't have spark. It is a points system and I checked and cleaned the points, checked the points cam for damage. It also seems to have another smaller "coil" that is connected to the main coil. I have tried finding one of these for sale and have been unable to come up with anything online. I also have bought a Nova II for it but haven't installed it. Have any of you installed one of those on these or 940s and if so how. Any help or wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are attached.
Cheers,
Cole
Cole..I have an old 125 motor that I'll compare ignition system to. What I see in the pics looks like 60's 6 cube MACs, but the smaller secondary coil is kinda stumping me.. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable will chime in.. I'm just a look/see guy..I.E..... I see that it looks like it might fit..I'll get a pic of the 125 along side a ruler.. Might help and will never hurt.. K

Cole..I have an old 125 motor that I'll compare ignition system to. What I see in the pics looks like 60's 6 cube MACs, but the smaller secondary coil is kinda stumping me.. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable will chime in.. I'm just a look/see guy..I.E..... I see that it looks like it might fit..I'll get a pic of the 125 along side a ruler.. Might help and will never hurt.. K
OK Cole, here ya go.. This is a good system.. I got fire out of itIMG_20180615_090813.jpg IMG_20180615_090752.jpg IMG_20180615_090729.jpg

I did my tour through the 10 series boneyard. Jim had a ton of MAC yellow showing, 3 buckets, 2 boxes, and a partridge in a pear tree. He was just a super nice guy, but that's straying off subject. I would suspect that the scratches and wear & tear are typical for their age.. I mean the saws, not Jim. Somebody will be able to make 5 or 6 pretty good looking saws out of all the stray magnesium..and the bigger MACs, 800, 850, and pm 700, I think.. Are pretty much all there. One has compression less than 100.. No need to elaborate on that. If someone wants to do a deal, I'll sure help anyway I can, but my wife informed me of the obvious. And how can i argue with the obvious. Vague but you know what I mean. Cheers. K

OK Cole, here ya go.. This is a good system.. I got fire out of itView attachment 657946 View attachment 657947 View attachment 657948
Thank you for that. Have any of you tried the little Nova II points eliminator kits on these engines?

Hey fellows im swapping the brake parts from one cover to another (10 series) do the pins that hold the band and catch just press out? I've had a go and got fairly mean to it and its not moving so thought id better ask before I break it I've had a search and no luck. 1 cover is ruff and has no feet to hold the saw flat but has a good brake the other is really nice but some clown has stripped the bits off it. Also whats with the feet and feetless covers? It allows the chain to sit on the ground and get dragged threw the dirt a bit too easy.20180617_093608.jpg

Jethro - the pivot pins for the brake handle are threaded in, notice the flats for gripping with a wrench. The other two pins for the latch and brake band are pressed in.

Cole - I have a 170 welder as well along with all of the documentation and even several of the patents awarded to Robert Jackson who designed the circuitry. That coil is referred to as the "exciter coil" and without a thorough examination of all the documents I believe is provides a voltage to the field windings to get the alternator going.

20180616_195235.1.jpg

Mine has the BP-1 type carburetor but other documents show a large HL was used on some as well.

Mark

Jethro, hello again! The left cover is made to hold the saw bar up off the ground. Like the 10-10s and 700's. The one on the right looks like it would be used on a saw that has a base plate which would be what keeps the saw bar off the ground.

Jethro, hello again! The left cover is made to hold the saw bar up off the ground. Like the 10-10s and 700's. The one on the right looks like it would be used on a saw that has a base plate which would be what keeps the saw bar off the ground.

Hey Vinny I never thought about the spike holding it up it came off a 10 10 but could of came off anything before me the 700 cover has the feet so I swapped the brake on to that one. The poor 10-10 has now become a parts saw for the 700 untle I find another 1 its a few screws a handle and brake parts short and to buy all that is more than a saw so it will have ta sit and wait

Got this beautiful 10-10S the other day. Have had an eye out for one for a long time. I actually missed this one and was turned on to it by @old 040 who's about an hour away from me and saw the ad and sorta knew I was into the 10 series. Many thanks, Mark!

And yes, pics of this saw are going to several of the Mac threads..., maybe even twice. :)

0617181538_resized.jpg

0617181539_resized.jpg

0617181539a_resized.jpg

0617181540a_resized.jpg

0617181542_resized.jpg

0617181540_resized.jpg

Got this beautiful 10-10S the other day. Have had an eye out for one for a long time. I actually missed this one and was turned on to it by @old 040 who's about an hour away from me and saw the ad and sorta knew I was into the 10 series. Many thanks, Mark!

And yes, pics of this saw are going to several of the Mac threads..., maybe even twice. :)

You're most welcome Poge....of coarse if it had been a little closer to me I would had snipped it!....lol.....Glad you got it, it's in good hands.....;)

Back