McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't know I'm a poulan guy. My neighbor was talking to me over the fence and said, I have a big old saw that I have had for 40 years and it hasn't been run for 30 years and it has been kept inside do you want it. Let's go look at it was my reply. He takes me in his shop and pulls this off the shelf.
McCulloch 73 with a 26.5 inch bar running 5/8 chain. What do I do with it. View attachment 815872View attachment 815874View attachment 815877
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ceba53544c8dbc9c88256b00005d7a7f?OpenDocumentYou could cut massive wood with it or trade it for a big green one of your desires, either way you have excellent neighbors.

If you don't know I'm a poulan guy. My neighbor was talking to me over the fence and said, I have a big old saw that I have had for 40 years and it hasn't been run for 30 years and it has been kept inside do you want it. Let's go look at it was my reply. He takes me in his shop and pulls this off the shelf.
McCulloch 73 with a 26.5 inch bar running 5/8 chain. What do I do with it. View attachment 815872View attachment 815874View attachment 815877
I bet that would clean up really nice. What a monster! I like it!!

That’s bad ass!

Does anyone know the thread size for the clutch nut on a 1-86 gear drive? I've had this saw apart for far too long and the nut apparently got lost in the shuffle. I remember seeing it sitting on the bench about a week ago but couldnt think of what it may have gone too and must have filed it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Been doing some work on the 73, the piston and cylinder are good. I'm having trouble with the recoil engaging so it is off and getting some lub, everything is so dry and stiff. I filled the engine with fuel mix and turning it over by hand. It is getting much easier to turn. The air filter is in decent shape but some of the flocking is thin. The inside of the fuel tank is like new with the felt pad still nice. Oiler works. The chain is so far stretched out that I can't get it tight enough. Where can I get chain that is 5/8" . The sprocket is good.

No if it had big problems I would just let it sit. Now that I have heard it I'll go fix all the little things like dents and missing screws. The biggest problem is the rubber elbow that is from the air filter to the carb box has a rip where it slides into the box separated about a third of the way around. Only way I can see to fix it is stitch it together and seal with a rubber glue and I'll make a nylon sleeve to go inside to keep it round. Has a nickel size hole bottom side of flywheel cover. I'll patch and reinforce with j b weld. The air filter is going to get a foam cover over it
When I was checking for spark I expected to see a faint blue spark like the 5200 . Hell I thought lightning had struck, biggest blue flame I have seen in a long time. More later

Anyone know what this sound is? On my SP125C. Sounds like metal in metal friction. I have not ran this saw yet. Flywheel key is not sheared. The flywheel itself did have some outer wear/scratches because the coil came loose and the flywheel was in direct contact with the coil. I removed coil for this video
Noise happens close to TDC But don’t really think that matters. It does not make this noise with the flywheel off and the cylinder looks clean from what I can see.

Why is it that all the problems have to happen on the same saw?
I am working on my 1-86 today. First I cant find the clutch nut. Finally track one down. Now the recoil wont cooperate. The pulley has a chunk out of it that is apparently allowing the recoil spring to jump out. I can only get one or two pulls before the rope wont retract.
Anyone have a pulley?
I got it to fire with the wrapping the rope around the pulley trick, but it is extremely lean and I cannot tame down the idle. It must have a large air leak but I'm not sure where. I have had this saw down to the short block 3 times at this point. Including all new gaskets and crank seals. Getting very frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

120 cc's of awesome there Todd. The snorkel air filter is especially nice. I should have enough pieces around to put a 73 with the snorkel together when I get to it.

My 77 is a very strong saw as well.

View attachment 816035

Mark

If the 77 is the saw you had at Mastermind's GTG, I believe MAC must have ran low on magnesium and substituted cast iron in its place. Has to be the heaviest saw I have ever lifted.

Ron

Latest posts

Back