McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what this sound is? On my SP125C. Sounds like metal in metal friction. I have not ran this saw yet. Flywheel key is not sheared. The flywheel itself did have some outer wear/scratches because the coil came loose and the flywheel was in direct contact with the coil. I removed coil for this video
Noise happens close to TDC But don’t really think that matters. It does not make this noise with the flywheel off and the cylinder looks clean from what I can see.

Does it make that noise with the flywheel nut tight? If it makes no noise without the flywheel on then its the flywheel rubbing somewhere. You just gotta find where as jethro suggests

Why is it that all the problems have to happen on the same saw?
I am working on my 1-86 today. First I cant find the clutch nut. Finally track one down. Now the recoil wont cooperate. The pulley has a chunk out of it that is apparently allowing the recoil spring to jump out. I can only get one or two pulls before the rope wont retract.
Anyone have a pulley?
I got it to fire with the wrapping the rope around the pulley trick, but it is extremely lean and I cannot tame down the idle. It must have a large air leak but I'm not sure where. I have had this saw down to the short block 3 times at this point. Including all new gaskets and crank seals. Getting very frustrated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Actually found an NOS pulley on Ebay for short money, so that is on the way.

If you don't know I'm a poulan guy. My neighbor was talking to me over the fence and said, I have a big old saw that I have had for 40 years and it hasn't been run for 30 years and it has been kept inside do you want it. Let's go look at it was my reply. He takes me in his shop and pulls this off the shelf.
McCulloch 73 with a 26.5 inch bar running 5/8 chain. What do I do with it.

I want neighbors like this! I don't care what brand it is...

"What do I do with it" :laugh:
Oh... was that a serious question? I think Maintenance supervisor covered it.

Does 404 come in different sizes. I'll measure the chain.
Comes in any size you want , I've got a spinner and a reel of chain(.404 skip tooth chisel), but seriously frawley's shop has a good selection , older saws sometimes had different gauge drive links for bigger chain, if your bar is .063 shouldn't be an issue.

9/16" sprocket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRIVE-SPRO...034079?hash=item522a3e251f:g:ZAoAAOSwCtFd-O47
1/2" sprocket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DRIVE-SPRO...331818?hash=item547d78f4aa:g:q~UAAOSwPfBeHqsQ
.404 sprocket
https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCULLOCH-...052414&hash=item35ff113d9d:g:Qi8AAOxyvSVRFOih
I have some 6 tooth 1/2" sprockets available but I would advise against them, chain speed would be too slow and there's not much material in the sprocket itself and they will break if the key and keyway in the shaft are not perfect.

5/8" pitch sprockets are much harder to come by.

Mark

Kevin - 3/8-24 flex lock is what the IPL calls for on the clutch nut. Since the clutch is keyed, the nut is right handed.

Mark
I found a Homelite flywheel nut in my spare parts that was the right size and a lock nut to boot! So all set there lol. Now just to sort the recoil and figure out the massive air leak.
The thing is running like it has a crank seal totally missing lol.

I need some help with chain sizes. The chain on this 73 is like 1.3 inches for 3 pins so that is. 650 pitch.
What am I looking for to replace it.
What would be the best way to go for a chain for it. I'm lost on this old stuff.

Does it make that noise with the flywheel nut tight?
Good point. Maybe just wobbling slightly at a certain spot from the power of the magnets drawing it against another magnetic spot in the rotation? Could account for the scraping. I'd say the clunking is a combination of the loose flywheel and the crank being at either TDC or BDC..., maybe with a questionable bearing somewhere in the mix.

Just thinking out loud as usual...

Thanks for your help and efforts everyone.
Should I just go with 404 and be done with it or should I try and make it original with the 625. It would be cool to have the big chain but I'm having zero luck finding any. Even the information about big old chains is hard for me to find. My Google fo isn't the best.. I'll keep you posted on this 73. Tomorrow is clean it up day and I hope to get it all cleaned up and looking good.

Thanks for your help and efforts everyone.
Should I just go with 404 and be done with it or should I try and make it original with the 625. It would be cool to have the big chain but I'm having zero luck finding any. Even the information about big old chains is hard for me to find. My Google fo isn't the best.. I'll keep you posted on this 73. Tomorrow is clean it up day and I hope to get it all cleaned up and looking good.

If you can get a sprocket to drive it that's the way I'd be going Todd.

Can you shorten that chain? I see the cutters are pretty short but perhaps enough for a handful of sharpenings.

Question for the guru's
Does Bob have old chain?

If this bar could talk, the story would be a long and interesting one. The last 30 years might be a little boring just sitting on the shelf.

Any one know how to get the sprocket off, tried 2 small pry bars but wouldn't move. Probably have to make a puller, sure don't want to bust something. 20200410_181509.jpg

Back