McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the weather being a bit on the raw side today,I finally got around to putting the new fuel line & filter on one of my PM700's.Boy,trying to get the needle boot in place while trying to get the bolts lined up for the carb,& hoping that the choke linkage doesn't come unhooked all at the same time is quite challenging.After several (make that many) cuss words I finally got the carb in place.Then it was time for the final challenge - would the saw start & then restart.A few pulls on the rope to get the carb reprimed & it was off to the races.I was very happy to get this old girl going again.Tomorrow a.m.I'll sharpen the chain & I'll see what I can bury the bar in.
Ed

North East Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful cool day in North East Tennessee today - started in the low 30's up to the high 50's by 1:00 P.M.

I had a little Ash pickup assigned to me out in the county. Surprised to find a nice size Ash that had been limbed but otherwise uncut. Good thing I brought my PM800. It made short work of cutting it into 9' logs except the main trunk which I cut in two 4 1/2' logs. I also sectioned out the fork. The top produced four 9' logs each a little over to right at bar length in diameter.

IMG_5168.JPG

The landowner came out and just stood next to me on several cuts. I shut the saw down and he explained that he couldn't get over how fast it cut and his dad always ran a McCulloch so he like just standing there watching. He went on to explain that he had limbed up the tree with one of those German offbrands but things didn't go to his liking. While he was standing there my chain brake went off just to prove its vintage, or should I say lineage. A little duct tape got me through the final cut.

Loaded three good trailer loads and was on my way home before lunch. Then got a call that the last trailer was down with a broken spring mount and blown tire. We had to offload the two large stem pieces to keep the one remaining tire from scrubbing; this left most of the load on the two tired side. We reloaded the stem on another trailer. Reloaded the Deere and went to the lot for a fresh Subway sandwich and oatmeal raisin cookie. Got home just a little after 1:00. Can't beat a day like that.

Poor Brian can't handle convalescing and keeps overusing his shoulder. I hope he got some rest today.

Be Safe Out There.

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Well so much for having my PM700 up & running.I went to put bar oil in & it ran out as fast as I poured it in.I think it's coming out of the bar pad,I need to have a look with the chain brake & bar off.The other thing that happened was I think it broke a clutch spring.It acted like it threw the chain,but when I pull on the recoil rope the chain goes around & when I pull the chain on the bar it turns the engine over.I'm almost afraid of what I'm going to find.
In order for me to finish my noodling I went to the garage & got my Lombard Comango that I bought from 2broke a couple of weeks ago.That saw is roughly 68 or 69cc & I swear it'll kick a PM700's behind.I was noodling white oak that's been dead for quite some time & the Comango was tearing through that oak like it was willow.

Well so much for having my PM700 up & running.I went to put bar oil in & it ran out as fast as I poured it in.I think it's coming out of the bar pad,I need to have a look with the chain brake & bar off.The other thing that happened was I think it broke a clutch spring.It acted like it threw the chain,but when I pull on the recoil rope the chain goes around & when I pull the chain on the bar it turns the engine over.I'm almost afraid of what I'm going to find.
In order for me to finish my noodling I went to the garage & got my Lombard Comango that I bought from 2broke a couple of weeks ago.That saw is roughly 68 or 69cc & I swear it'll kick a PM700's behind.I was noodling white oak that's been dead for quite some time & the Comango was tearing through that oak like it was willow.
Glad you're liking the Lombard Ed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well I didn't have time for any cleaning Saturday but I did get the sprocket off. Had to make a puller and that almost didn't have enough strength to do the job, bent it up.
I found a 7 tooth 1/2" sprocket and I hope it has a 15mm bore because that is the shaft size. Also found some 1/2" chain that will work. The bar wasn't..062 it is..058 and the chain is the same. I got the bar all filed square and the rust cleaned off.

That Lombard is a little girls saw! ..sort of, when Lombard developed that saw they had a contest to name it and a young girl named it the "Command and Go" saw after witnessing it being used. The company shortened it to one word and it turned out popular.
It's a fun back story, and a cool saw.
Something's wrong with the 700 ,its a great saw so better pull that clutch cover and have a look.

Thinking this is a 6-10. What do you guys think?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143576199951
Cheapest I can get them to go is $80 plus the $28 shipping......... not sure I should do it, a little steep for a non runner that might just turn out to be another 54cc saw.

Been pretty quiet lately, no flea markets and general fear mongering with the news.
Worked on my dumpster Husqvarna 66 yesterday and then decided to refurbish some bars.
I had an original 20" Windsor speed tip and thought it might look good with Oregon full comp. and yellow with trees shaking in their leaves.
20200412_121239.jpg20200412_121155.jpg

Todd, the output shaft will be 19/32". Copy the attached page and try to print it out full scale so you can match your sprocket to one of the photos. That one appears to be a 9/16" pitch to me. Great idea on the puller, it probably needs to be made from a material you could harden significantly to prevent the thin cross section from bending.

If you have, or have access to a dual action sander they work great for cleaning up old bars.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch Chain Bars Accessories Catalog P4.pdf
    196.7 KB · Views: 8
Here is a very interesting piece I came across in the collection of stuff Mike Jackson passed on to me. Mike's dad Robert V. Jackson was an Engineer working at McCulloch and was responsible for a lot of the electrical/electronic devices including the fast charger for the battery packs on board the "E" saws and the welder circuitry.

Note the signature on the letter...

Mark

Attachments

• Lake Havasu Letter.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 15
I decided to get some of the saws that were setting on the floor in the old garage/shop cleaned up so I could move them over to the museum shop in order to have some saws for sale. Initially I am concentrating on consumer type saws with a brake as I anticipate most local sales will be to those less familiar with chainsaw operation.

20200412_165004.jpg

As you can see in the background of this photo, I do have some other projects simmering on the back burner as well.

20200412_165024.jpg

The 610's have 130+, 150+, and 160+ PSI compression and all start, run, and oil as they should. The Eager Beaver 42 has an "easy start" type of system. (As I type this it seems that I may have posted photos of that saw already...)

Mark

As I stated a couple of days ago (maybe yesterday) my PM700 was leaking oil by the bar pad to beat the band.I had time today to take a look & find out where it was leaking.Apparently the previous owner must've gotten the saw pinched & tried to wiggle the saw from side to side & cracked the tank by the bar studs.My question is:will I be able to stop the leak by using JB Weld?Or should I just throw in the towel on that idea & get a new oil tank?
Ed

thumbnail.jpg

As I stated a couple of days ago (maybe yesterday) my PM700 was leaking oil by the bar pad to beat the band.I had time today to take a look & find out where it was leaking.Apparently the previous owner must've gotten the saw pinched & tried to wiggle the saw from side to side & cracked the tank by the bar studs.My question is:will I be able to stop the leak by using JB Weld?Or should I just throw in the towel on that idea & get a new oil tank?
Ed

View attachment 817393

I've used jb to fix gas tanks and clutch covers but Danm! You'd have to probably take it off to degrease it anyway for the jb to stay and at that point I'd probably just replace it.
I'll sometimes get slabs for fire wood and stack them up 4' high and ratchet strap them together basically fighting pinching and kick back but I've never even snapped an adjustment pin , someone had to really heave on that thing to brake that!
I believe that any 10 series tank will work.

Back