McCulloch I-70 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kicking around the idea of using the grey ultimate gasket maker rtv to seal the top and bottom of the tank. Does anyone see a reason this will not work? There are a lot of anchor points to hold it tight. I understand this will not work for the head as it would reduce squish.

Thanks. Jason.

Head gaskets can be made, the old Burger king ashtrays were used by Kart guys.
New ones can be found at Kart parts sites.
Squish can be adjusted through gasket thickness.

I’ve got the same saw to rebuild. Bought off CL for $60.

Yours looks like it’s coming along nicely.

Many old Mac experts on the Forbidden site. Al Smith has a wealth of info.

2 things I’ve picked up. A 101 cart motor is a bolt in, but a bit of a unicorn item to find. As for the bearings, if the outer race is split, they are cageless and apparently never need to be replaced.

When reassembling the cylinder head there is a metal piece that acts as a gasket. Do I need to add anything there or is that piece enough to seal? Page 39 piece 21 in the IPL.

Thanks. Jason.

Noticed while cleaning the Piston the rings seemed a different thickness. The IPL show's the same part number. Should I replace them or do you think they are ok? Other than that I didn't see any visual problems with them. I did remove them to clean the carbon from behind.IMG_20180602_164545116.jpg

im in the process of rebuilding my grandpas old 1-70. i have it all apart and the bearings seem to be in good shape but will need a new piston and atleast a hone. going to mic it tonight to see if i need to rebore it. so far i plan on piston, carb rebuild and new gaskets. what about shaving the metal head gasket for more squish?

I know this is an older thread but I'm getting ready to do a clean/refurb on an 1-70 I inherited from my younger brother. Did this get finished and can you offer any advice on a source for parts if I need them?

Compression was extremely high when I got done and ended up snapping the starter in half. I was able to source a parts saw but never was able to get spark. It needs a chip. I sat it down and haven't messed with it in awhile. Be careful this one can be a money pit. I've been busy and haven't had time. Be careful with the starter.

Back