McCulloch super 250 for $60 Deal or No Deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the big old Macs are just so fun to run, there is nothing like them.

Right Don't retire it as long as it's running good.
I do not own a 250 but I have it's smaller cousins, (not smaller by weight)
I have some of the old 1-40, 1-50 series and I normally always take one of them to the woods along with my lighter Stihls and when I get a big log down I lug the old heavy Mac over to the log set it on top of the log, hold the throttle down with one hand and drink a cup of coffee with the other while the big old heavy saw uses it's own weight to do the cut. Do not even have to use the spike or lay on the saw. Those big tooth .404 chains are easy to sharpen also. I do not let my old Mac's lay around un-used for very long or the carb insides gaskets will dry out, especially if stored in a hot area.
They need to be ran every once in awhile to keep them limbered up and ready for the wood.

Have to stay awake and not forget to do the manual oiling on the old Macs after running the auto oiling saws.

If you ever get a chance to put it in some wood, push it hard, and it will come alive, that's is when the super 250 will show what it REALLY is and why it is legendary. You may then decide it's too cool to be sidelined to wall hanger status.
I have run it 2 times in pine. It did ok. But the 404 chain needs more work ...that is how it felt but maybe it isn't running good either. I spent 20 mins sharpening it last night just one side. Lol.

Right Don't retire it as long as it's running good.
I do not own a 250 but I have it's smaller cousins, (not smaller by weight)
I have some of the old 1-40, 1-50 series and I normally always take one of them to the woods along with my lighter Stihls and when I get a big log down I lug the old heavy Mac over to the log set it on top of the log, hold the throttle down with one hand and drink a cup of coffee with the other while the big old heavy saw uses it's own weight to do the cut. Do not even have to use the spike or lay on the saw. Those big tooth .404 chains are easy to sharpen also. I do not let my old Mac's lay around un-used for very long or the carb insides gaskets will dry out, especially if stored in a hot area.
They need to be ran every once in awhile to keep them limbered up and ready for the wood.

Have to stay awake and not forget to do the manual oiling on the old Macs after running the auto oiling saws.
I think mine has auto oiler plus manual override

I think mine has auto oiler plus manual override
Super 250's had both auto and manual oiler. If you look down inside the fuel tank you can see the auto oiler. Those were the best direct drive front tank Mac IMHO, and one of the very best Mac models of all time. By all means, fix the chain and allow yourself the treat of cutting with it.

Super 250's had both auto and manual oiler. If you look down inside the fuel tank you can see the auto oiler. Those were the best direct drive front tank Mac IMHO, and one of the very best Mac models of all time. By all means, fix the chain and allow yourself the treat of cutting with it.
I thought I sharpened it pretty good. I'm not sure it's running as good as it should. I tried to tune high idle in the cut. Seems lacking . But could just be the chain.

I thought I sharpened it pretty good. I'm not sure it's running as good as it should. I tried to tune high idle in the cut. Seems lacking . But could just be the chain.
They are unimpressive until you lean on them, getting the reed petals to really open up. Then it's like the saw found a whole new high gear. When this happens, the rpm should climb rapidly and the machine will show you what it is about. Unloaded, it is just another heavy boring saw.

They are unimpressive until you lean on them, getting the reed petals to really open up. Then it's like the saw found a whole new high gear. When this happens, the rpm should climb rapidly and the machine will show you what it is about. Unloaded, it is just another heavy boring saw.
Ok I was testing it on just a 12inch log letting it rest as it cut and one hand adjusting the high setting

I use the saw for a little bit of Milling for a while and it did really good a lot of low-end grunt so I got bored and I painted the bar it looks pretty good20181024_231904.jpg 20181024_231320.jpg 20181024_231451.jpg 20181023_231609.jpg

Back