MS 362 C-M Review on Stihl Website

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice review - What does the manual say about BREAK IN PERIOD?
Does this saw say to run it WOT in wood for the first 3 to 5 minutes, like the Husky autotune saws do?

Last edited:
The manual really does not address break in. It says to do 5 cuts of at least 12" wood to set M-Tronic to current conditions, but break in is not addressed.

I think each saw is different. Rings seating and the time for bearings to clearance will vary from saw to saw. The use of synthetic oil also likely slows this process. I also don't know how long it takes M-Tonic to learn a full range of conditions, I just know it got progressively stronger as I used it. It was only noticeable on "big wood". It went through anything 10" or less like a hot knife through butter from the start. Some owners of MS 261 C-Ms have reported a similar bog on the first tank. I have seen some reports that say the saw keeps getting stronger for 10 to 15 tanks of fuel. If mine stays just the way it is, you will not hear me complain.

You gotta make those cuts right out of the box for the current condition you're gonna use it in right? I'd say it was no different than Husky's procedure just worded different.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

You gotta make those cuts right out of the box for the current condition you're gonna use it in right? I'd say it was no different than Husky's procedure just worded different.

Actually, No. Ya made me pull out my booklet! Under M-Tronic - Automatic Adjustment:

"Under extremely changed operating conditions, attainment of the optimal setting can be accelerated as follows: - Carry out five uniform cuts to length under full load." Elsewhere in the website I found where it said full load is 12" or more.

Under "During the Break in Period"

"A new factory machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load) for the first three tank fillings. This avoids unnecessarily high loads during the break in period. As all moving parts have to bed in during the break-in period , the frictional resistances in the shortblock are greater during this period. The engine develops its maximum power after about 5 to 15 tank fillings."

There you have it! Also, 5 uniform 12" cuts will only take a minute or two.

I also printed out a brochure on the MS 362 C-M and it says the saw puts out 4.8 Hp even though the website says 4.6 Hp.

And I know there is a lot of debate about this, but I can't imagine Stihl publishing this if it is not true:

"M-Tronic's fully electronic engine control recognizes a cold and a warm start, and adjusts the ignition timing in all operating modes. It also precisely and electronically meters the fuel supply. It even takes into account external conditions such as temperature, elevation and fuel quality."

I believe the on line video says it monitors the engine 32 times per second.

Hope this answers all the questions.

MustangMike

Last edited:
So that must be a Canadian Saw I pulled the stats on. I knew they spelled Favorite a little different (Favourite).

I was going to say that when I removed the Muffler Screen maybe I converted it to a Canadian spec saw, but that thing does not even seem to weigh a 10th of an ounce, but I bet it picked up the HP. The screen is so dense I bet it was restricting air flow 50%.

Under "During the Break in Period"

"A new factory machine should not be run at high revs (full throttle off load)
Full throttle OFF LOAD=put it in wood and run it like you stole it full throttle. Balls to the wall baby!!

In the owners manual and media cat, it's rated at 4.7 hp. Who cares really? Long as it's powerful.

You are correct, and thank you for that. I knew I saw someplace that the HP was at 10,000 RPM, and that peak RPM was 14,000. It is in the manual, I was searching for where I had seen that information. Thanks!

did you opt for any lighter 20" bar or did you go with the stock stihl bar? how is the balance and weight? Would balance be good with Pro-lite or other lighter bar?

Any pics for us droolers?

No pics yet, I went with the 20" Stihl Green bar with yellow RS chain. If Rev Boost does not go any faster than my Stihl, why all the hype? Also, if the Stilhl makes max power at a higher RPM, that should bode well when someone does a comparison test. I'm starting to like this saw more and more all the time!!!

The balance is great and since I am used to running 70 cc Stihls, this saw feels like a lightweight to me.

(I think it is about to get hot in the kitchen)

I think up in Canada, with the Cold Dense Air, the saw weights less (just kidding). Thanks for the info Doug, you don't happen to have a 562 XP you can throw in the scale, do you?

By the way, is that a Wolf Skull?

I'll confirm the PHO weight... it's 13.0 lbs weighed on my certified scale in my store.

You've got one on the shelf in your store, have you had a chance to play w/one yet? Or are you just itching at the bit to do so?

Actually, I've never done that to the 441. I did do the calibration once, just because.

I usually just start it, let it warm up a bit, and cut, never seemed to hurt it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Back