M-tronic avoid or acquire?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i've decided that i will get a Stihl MS 261 but now i don't know if i should get the 261 C-M with m-tronic or just get it with a classic carb.Any opinions?

I have only had my 261cm for about a month. I do enjoy it. I moved from a 290 I had over 10 years, it was a carb saw but never had any issues with it. I, unfortunately, don't have a long use history to provide much advise but it has done well through 5 tanks. If you look on the handle it will have a stick for the M-Tronic version. It sounds like the latest version is 3.0 so I would try to get that if you do.

My adventure here: https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/about-to-purchase-ms261-help.368981/

Just getting started with a 261c-m and I must say, it runs like a champ! Looking forward to many, many years of reliable (under proper maintenance) use, and hoping it can beat my 25 years with a Craftsman 46cc 20" 358 350200. I've basically rebuilt that one and it is still reliable and usable but I felt it's on borrowed time so the Stihl 261c-m is the new bad boy!

It seems these threads break 80/20 for Mtronic, on this site.

To me, it seems you can't make a serious mistake, going with either. There are a ton of posts here singing the praises of Mtronics.

I am, however, a non-Mtronic guy. Mostly, because there is nothing in a MS261 which I don't understand, and which I can't fix at home, with the tools I own.

I run Mtronic saws at work. They're great. I plan to never own one as a "keeper."

Roy

There's nothing wrong with m-tronic or auto tune saws. The bugs were worked out years ago, and they are dead simple to fix. Have had one version or the other since 2012 and had very few issues. Actually only 1 issue, which would have been a simple fix if it wasn't for no parts anywhere for anything. (Thanks covid.)

There's nothing wrong with m-tronic or auto tune saws. The bugs were worked out years ago, and they are dead simple to fix. Have had one version or the other since 2012 and had very few issues. Actually only 1 issue, which would have been a simple fix if it wasn't for no parts anywhere for anything. (Thanks covid.)
I have some older ones with bugs still in them. Sometimes the fuel Solenoid will fix them, sometimes a harness, but I haven't bought a coil yet for some real stubborn repairs. I just have back up saws, so I'm in no rush,

Latest posts

Back