If You Could Only Have One Chainsaw Forever...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the correction mate, what slit are you referring to? I see one and 2 circledView attachment 1146551
I personally believe the slit is to disturb the forward flow of the side outlet to help not set bark on fire.
By the way a Aussie ms660 has a from memory 13 or 14mm side outlet compared to the epa choked up American 8mm side outlet I believe but yeah is something like that.

830772-f5dc7d24cfb270717b4f0cfbc554f4d4.jpeg

I personally believe the slit is to disturb the forward flow of the side outlet to help not set bark on fire.
By the way a Aussie ms660 has a from memory 13 or 14mm side outlet compared to the epa choked up American 8mm side outlet I believe but yeah is something like that.

View attachment 1146552
Ha I never noticed that slit! Cool, thanks!

If I had to keep just one saw, it would depend on what I was going to do with it. For firewood, I'd currently take the MS400, but as my body ages, I might be more inclined to take the MS261 instead. If I had to do ANY property maintenance, it would be either an MS400 or MS462 depending on the size of trees I needed to anticipate.

Yeah nah technicality a triple port Tom.. you own a Aussie ms660 go have a look they count the slit as an exhaust outlet yeah go figure lol
Glad memory was accurate, but big thanks for upclose pic

What about an 015L and a box of parts for it? The thing is a major pain in the a$$ for my inexperienced self. I need my 261 though. It is kinda my biggest saw, and we have a lot of big wood in Virginia. I got it on my 14th birthday with my own money ( NOT sponsored by mommy and daddy ) and it was nice that there were some major storms before my birthday, and I even had some cleanup jobs lined up for after.View attachment 1145978View attachment 1145979View attachment 1145980

Stihl 361 for me too. I have a couple new in the box just chilling in a climate controlled environment. They do need a muffler mod.

The last quad port true 2 stroke from stihl.
Are you saying the 361 is "the last quad port true 2 stroke from Stihl"? Can you (or anyone) elaborate?

I have a 361 and love it, but I know zero about 2T engine design, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, and am interested to know.

Are you saying the 361 is "the last quad port true 2 stroke from Stihl"? Can you (or anyone) elaborate?

I have a 361 and love it, but I know zero about 2T engine design, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, and am interested to know.

Well it's not a strato saw, so no secondary air being injected with the complex carb. It's a closed port that feeds 4 transfer ports. It's the last saw produced for Stihl before the EPA stuff kicked in. It flows with the least amount of restriction possible from the factory. Most people have to port saws to get the same flow.

The only choke point is the muffler, once that is opened up...it sings.

Back