MS241C Discontinued 2+ years ago?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm drinking the Kool-Aid this thread's selling, and started getting all concerned that the MS241C on my dealers shelf was going to get snapped up if I didn't act pretty soon. So I go in for a parley with said dealer, and he seemed fairly uninterested in doing any dealing - he has a price on it of $529.99.

I decided I'd head home a mull it over a bit. (Translated, I'd go get in my truck and pout all the way home :))

So today I decided to call around to 7 Stihl dealers in about a 50 mile radius to see if any of them had one.

One had never heard of a 241, one hasn't been a Stihl dealer since '08 (says he can't get them to remove him from the locator), two didn't stock pro saws, one wanted $539, and two wanted $549.

Turns out my local guy was lowest around anyway, so I told him I'd take it for the $529.99 and had him put a yellow chain on it.

I bought a 6-pack of Ultra to extend the warranty and altogether the bill came to a whopping $580.73 with tax. (It does seem like a lotta dough for a 42.6cc saw when you look at the bottom line but...)

I would have liked to have gotten it for 5 bills or less plus tax like some on here have, but as I began talking myself into it I just kept coming back to the idea that I didn't want $30 to keep me from buying a saw and then regretting it down the line. (you know how the self-talk goes "...what'll $30 get ya these days anyway... a pizza and a pitcher of Coke Zero... I mean really")

The build date on mine is 7/18 and yet I have what I thought were the old style dogs? IDK maybe they changed to the pressed ones after then? Also, I hadn't given it much thought - but I assumed at the price point these things go for that it'd have a rim sprocket but of course it has a spur. The manual pictures both styles. Were some offered with rim, or do all have spur?

Anyway, I ran it for about 15 min and it seems very responsive for brand new. Really light feeling. I think I'll like it a lot (if I can overcome the look of the single stud... which is no doubt just fine)

IMG_9008.JPG IMG_9007.JPG IMG_9006.JPG IMG_9009.JPG

So I'm drinking the Kool-Aid this thread's selling, and started getting all concerned that the MS241C on my dealers shelf was going to get snapped up if I didn't act pretty soon. So I go in for a parley with said dealer, and he seemed fairly uninterested in doing any dealing - he has a price on it of $529.99.

I decided I'd head home a mull it over a bit. (Translated, I'd go get in my truck and pout all the way home :))

So today I decided to call around to 7 Stihl dealers in about a 50 mile radius to see if any of them had one.

One had never heard of a 241, one hasn't been a Stihl dealer since '08 (says he can't get them to remove him from the locator), two didn't stock pro saws, one wanted $539, and two wanted $549.

Turns out my local guy was lowest around anyway, so I told I'd take it for the $529.99 and had him put a yellow chain on it.

I bought a 6-pack of Ultra to extend the warranty and altogether the bill came to a whopping $580.73 with tax. (It does seem like a lotta dough for a 42.6cc saw when you look at the bottom line but...)

I would have liked to have gotten it for 5 bills or less plus tax like some on here have, but as I began talking myself into it I just kept coming back to the idea that I didn't want $30 to keep me from buying a saw and then regretting it down the line. (you know how the self-talk goes "...what'll $30 get ya these days anyway... a pizza and a pitcher of Coke Zero... I mean really")

The build date on mine is 7/18 and yet I have what I thought were the old style dogs? IDK maybe they changed to the pressed ones after then? Also, I hadn't given it much thought - but I assumed at the price point these things go for that it'd have a rim sprocket but of course it has a spur. The manual pictures both styles. Were some offered with rim, or do all have spur?

Anyway, I ran it for about 15 min and it seems very responsive for brand new. Really light feeling. I think I'll like it a lot (if I can overcome the look of the single stud... which is no doubt just fine)

View attachment 724680 View attachment 724681 View attachment 724682 View attachment 724683
You ain't going to like your other saws anymore wait and see!

Turns out my local guy was lowest around anyway, so I told him I'd take it for the $529.99 and had him put a yellow chain on it.

This thread also convinced me to spend the long dollar on a 241. After a few weekends of running it I don’t regret the purchase at all. The saw is light, powerful, and sips the fuel. I’m a huge fan of the M-tronics as the saw is just as happy to idle endlessly as it is to run full out. The chain speed is much faster then my MS250 making it feel very productive. Mine did come with a rim sprocket. I plan to order a E-light bar for it before next fall.

Hope you feel as good about your investment as I do mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well this whole spur -vs- rim thing has taken some of the luster off of it for me. Thing is, I'm certain the saw I looked at on the shelf yesterday had a rim, and the owners helper and I talked about it some. (which is why I asked the question about it in my initial post)

Today the owner fueled mine and started it in the store, then I get home and run it for awhile and get to looking it over and see the spur and think - no this can't be. Because now if I want to convert it to rim it'll cost some.

I sent him an email but it was after hours so we'll see.... :(

Well this whole spur -vs- rim thing has taken some of the luster off of it for me. Thing is, I'm certain the saw I looked at on the shelf yesterday had a rim, and the owners helper and I talked about it some. (which is why I asked the question about it in my initial post)

Today the owner fueled mine and started it in the store, then I get home and run it for awhile and get to looking it over and see the spur and think - no this can't be. Because now if I want to convert it to rim it'll cost some.

Happened to stop by the dealer today, he had a 241 for $529. He said it's not being discontinued and assured me that he will sell the one on the shelf and order in another like he always does...

Also had a 462 at $1,109.00
This initial post?

Don't see it. But I'm sure nobody here would steer you wrong.

And I don't think it's that big a deal. The saw is set up right with the 6 tooth sprocket and 3/8 picco anyway, in my opinion.

They are in fact being discontinued! I called Stihl and I asked my dealer to call Stihl what more do you want?

They are listed to dealers as “while supplies last” meaning they are no longer in production. The 461 is listed the same way for obvious reasons. Stihl has not announced a replacement for the 241 but is currently advising dealers to promote the 261.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They come with spurs, wear it out then go rim.

Colt; When I made mention of initial post, I probably misled you - I was referring to my earlier post today after having bought the saw - wherein I first posed the question relative to the spur -v- rim thing.

So at the bottom of the post I say "I assumed at the price point these things go for that it'd have a rim sprocket but of course it has a spur. The manual pictures both styles. Were some offered with rim, or do all have spur?"

And the reason for that question like that was that I was doubting myself - (did I see it, or didn't I) but as I went over that discussion with the store helper I recall specifically talking about the rim on the saw.

Sorry for the confusion. It's probably no big deal in any case.

Colt; When I made mention of initial post, I probably misled you - I was referring to my earlier post today after having bought the saw - wherein I first posed the question relative to the spur -v- rim thing.

So at the bottom of the post I say "I assumed at the price point these things go for that it'd have a rim sprocket but of course it has a spur. The manual pictures both styles. Were some offered with rim, or do all have spur?"

And the reason for that question like that was that I was doubting myself - (did I see it, or didn't I) but as I went over that discussion with the store helper I recall specifically talking about the rim on the saw.

Sorry for the confusion. It's probably no big deal in any case.
Oh. I guess I missed it.
I don't own either, but I thought I knew that the 241 was spur and 261 rim.

I'm starting to feel some better after seeing a fair number of folks not really having a problem with the spur.

Like you said, change it out down the line if need be.

It seems so odd though that they put a decomp valve on these saws, and then put a spur like you'd expect to find on a homeowner or farmboss grade.

I don't regret the purchase though. It appears to be the real deal!

I'm starting to feel some better after seeing a fair number of folks not really having a problem with the spur.

Like you said, change it out down the line if need be.

It seems so odd though that they put a decomp valve on these saws, and then put a spur like you'd expect to find on a homeowner or farmboss grade.

I don't regret the purchase though. It appears to be the real deal!

Mine doesn't have a decomp?!

Latest posts

Back