ms360 with 038 super or 038 magnum cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been done, has not worked out well enough to bother with. The piston pin difference requires bushings between the pin and piston and the 038 cylinders exhaust port is angled back 15 degrees or so making a muffler match up a bit of work. The smaller crankcase volume of the 360 makes it inadequate to fill the combustion chamber of the 038 cylinder.

Its been done, has not worked out well enough to bother with. The piston pin difference requires bushings between the pin and piston and the 038 cylinders exhaust port is angled back 15 degrees or so making a muffler match up a bit of work. The smaller crankcase volume of the 360 makes it inadequate to fill the combustion chamber of the 038 cylinder.

I guess I should have just compared the two cylinders before I said anything. An 044 10mm piston would work for the 038 super cylinder, but the angles are way off as you mentioned. It appears that a titan 70 cylinder would be easier to use if one was going to add cc's to an 036.
Wouldn't the smaller crank volume be a similar upgrade that would compare to the XP models with crank stuffers?

I guess I should have just compared the two cylinders before I said anything. An 044 10mm piston would work for the 038 super cylinder, but the angles are way off as you mentioned. It appears that a titan 70 cylinder would be easier to use if one was going to add cc's to an 036.
Wouldn't the smaller crank volume be a similar upgrade that would compare to the XP models with crank stuffers?

The cylinder timing would need to be altered to get the charge to the combustion chamber to see any gains, usually this requires the upper transfers to be raised and or made larger. Lets just say the port timing would be out of wack. Its not as simple as just bolting on a bigger piston and cylinder, they need to be fed a bigger charge to get anything out of them.

The cylinder timing would need to be altered to get the charge to the combustion chamber to see any gains, usually this requires the upper transfers to be raised and or made larger. Lets just say the port timing would be out of wack. Its not as simple as just bolting on a bigger piston and cylinder, they need to be fed a bigger charge to get anything out of

Dammit, I brainfarted and mixed up what I was trying to match up. The transfers on the titan cylinder are enormous compared to 036, and timing is in the ballpark to where it would be easy to finish up, but it is all level like the 038.
It isn't a goal for me to do this, but it would be fun to do.

As long as you just want a saw that runs then most anything can be done, if you want a hotrod then it gets more complicated , getting enough air and fuel to the combustion chamber at the right time is what`s needed to see significant gains.

As long as you just want a saw that runs then most anything can be done, if you want a hotrod then it gets more complicated , getting enough air and fuel to the combustion chamber at the right time is what`s needed to see significant gains.

I apologize if I came across as a greenhorn that doesn't know anything yet. Part of the reason I started the thread is because I didn't see a single thing on 036/ms360 big bores.

I also notice there aren't any threads about whether or not crank stuffers from the 575/576 will fit a 372xpw.

Smaller case volume, coupled with larger transfers = turd

When I ported my 357xp I opened up the transfers significantly, along with increasing intake and exhaust volume, and left the crank stuffers in place. It is now almost twice the saw it was. I didn't change the timing.
This is why I question your comment and would like to hear an example of an experience you know of. I may know what I'm doing, but I don't know everything.

Smaller case volume, coupled with larger transfers = turd

Correct, you don`t want to go too large but sometimes raising them a few degrees and directing them to flow toward the intake side gives the cycle a bit more time to fill the combustion chamber. Maybe not always but in the few cases I have worked on where a bigger jug was installed on a lower volume crankcase this helped out a good bit.

Latest posts

Back