muffler keeps coming lose.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
the muffler on my stihl 028 keeps coming lose. No matter how tight I get it, the inside screws work loose. Any suggestions?

Are you using a gasket?

If so try some "star" lock washers, don't think loc-tite will hold up to the heat.

Are these Stihl Torx head screws?..............if not go to your dealer and pick some up.
If he is like my dealer he will have a bunch of used Torx and give them to you.

TT

I dunno about the loctite not holding up I've always used the blue medium strength stuff and never lost a muffler or dual port cover. My 3 are always tight.

FWIW. Make sure you clean the threads really well first, also.

If everything else fails get some loctite 424, never plan on taking it off again though, and I'm not kidding. You would have to cut the muffler off. The sheer strenght is about 3500-3700 lbs, we use it gluing new barrel liners in shot out barrels. It will glue steel together like you welded it, expensive but dang good.

Here's a link to Blue Loctite 246 https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/3FC26DB3130EC82A882571870000D613/$File/246-EN.pdf

For Disassembly
1. Remove with standard hand tools.
2. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because
of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to
nut or bolt to approximately 250 °C. Disassemble while
hot.

250 °C = 482 °F That's almost 500°!

I figure the way people get by using it on the barrel nut of an AR-15, and the gas key on the carrier, and still need a torch to get it off (whether I agree with this practice or not is for another forum).....the saw isn't going to break it loose without problems. I've never measured the temp of a jug but I would guess it's less than 450F because most lubricating oils don't do so hot at temps that high. But I've never measured it.

Then again I've always used blue loctite on the muffler bolts and never had a prob so either I'm lucky, good, or it won't loosen until a temp above which the jug gets.

Latest posts

Back