my new splitter table

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I decided to build a splitter table after getting sick of holding pieces while splitting. I was having to heave a big round onto the beam and then watch it fall to the ground as it split. Then I had to do it all over again and it has been torture on my back. I got so tired splitting wood and stopped enjoying it. I had some friends over this last week to help me split and after watching them struggle with the wood like I did, I decided to build a table for the splitter.

I had a few old hospital bed frames laying around for scrap and some sheet metal that my brother left here, so I got to work. It turned out quite well for being made from scrap. It resembles a card table that has been slapped on over the wedge. HAHA I think the steel is 16 gauge. Thinner than I wanted, but it was here.

I have to say the table is a huge success. It got a good workout test today and shows no signs of stress. I jumped on it after getting it done and it does not move. It is 32 inches wide and 34.5 inches long. It sits 1 inch under the beam and gives the ram about a 1/2 inch of clearance.

I don't know why I waited so long to build a table. Tables are priceless. If you don't have one, build or buy one. They DO pay for themselves. Put your splitter at working height. It IS worth the trouble. Now I just need to make some sort of foot/jack for the front of the beam. If any of you have any ideas for a foot or jack, let me know. I am open to ideas.

DSC_9227.jpg DSC_9228.jpg DSC_9230.jpg DSC_9235.jpg DSC_9237.jpg

Looks good. As far as a foot goes. I'd install a trailer jack. That way it's adjustable.

IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1061.JPG
Nice table build. Here are photos of an ATV trailer jack. The tongue was too low to mount it directly, and there wasn't room for it to swivel horizontal when the trailer is connected, so I just pull the pin and take it off. When the trailer is full of firewood I spot it in the garage. The jack allows me to lift the forward of the tandem axles off the ground and move it about and out of the way easier. Also if the trailer is full it is easier to reconnect. The round mount and jack came from TSC.

i gotta make one of those tables. too often one of them logs rolled on my toes.

Back