Mystery poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the plastic barb on the intake line broke off so I guess I’m going to look for a new pump as it is not threaded like the out line. The saw runs great but I’ve got no oil so it is frustrating!!

Is there any way you can fish that old barb out? I can't remember if you can knock it out from the inside of the pump body.

It's a press fit in the hole. You might be able to put a small screw into the barb hole and pull it out.

I was able to get the old barb out. Now I just have to find a replacement barb that will press in. Any ideas?

Copper tube or maybe same small nylon or brass air / water fittings you could hack a piece off and JB weld in.

Let me know the diameter of the hole or better still the OD of the broken piece you pulled out where the fitting goes and maybe I can come up with something.

the old broken barb is still in the oil line so I will cut it out and see what I come up with. With this saw I said before I broke the barb that it sounded like it was pumping but on the new 3700 I picked up Sunday that saw pumps oil just fine and makes no sounds so I think I have a leak somewhere on the pump or in the lines on this saw.

Sometimes the gasket between the pump and the saw case is just rotted. Easy to make if your able and have some gasket material.

Here's two pdf files of all the gaskets in that saw. There is one for the case halves but I have never come across a saw that had one.

If you print these files at 100% you can cut the printed sheet out and tape it to a piece of gasket material and cut / punch it out.

The files are courtesy of ModifiedMark

Attachments

• 3400 gaskets.pdf
    172.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 3400 gaskets2.pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 6
Thank you! I’ve been busy with work and another saw but hopefully I can get back to this one today. Before the barb broke I replaced the pickup line but I wasn’t sure about the line going to the bar. If I unscrew it where it feeds oil to the bar do I have to split the case again to screw it back in?

Picked up a 3400 with a scored piston and cylinder so took the oil pump off of that one and got the saw up and running. Still only have manual pump working, need to find a source for some of the oil pump diaphragms or figure out how to make my own. Probably need a carb rebuild but seems to be a good saw. Now I’ve got 2 running 3700s just need to find a piston and cylinder and a couple parts for that 3400 and get that one going.

Thanks for this thread....I recently "discovered" the old Poulans when I picked up the Craftsman grey versions of the 3400 and 3700. Both runners and in excellent condition....Free!

Thanks for this thread....I recently "discovered" the old Poulans when I picked up the Craftsman grey versions of the 3400 and 3700. Both runners and in excellent condition....Free!
The ones that i have seem to be nice saws that can be had most of the time for really cheap or free in your case!

Latest posts

Back