Need help 362c won’t rev

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
All I did was try to reset the m-tronic.

Now the saw will idle fine but won’t rev. I can hold part throttle fine but as soon as I go full throttle the saw will bog bad then die.

It is the new version 362c.

The reason I tried the m-tronic rest is because every once in a while the saw would die while idling. Other than that saw ran great. Just used it yesterday in fact.

Need this saw Monday, any advice would be great.

Tried a couple times, a couple different ways. Seems as soon as I start it it will idle and rev fine. Even cut for a cut or two. Then that’s it, just idle no revs after that. Tried opening the gas cap while this is happening, no change.

Saw was fine before this, obviously I wish I never tried to rest it.

First reset I tried that made this happen was:

start in choke, let idle 90. Shut off
Start in choke, moved to run, let idle 90. Shut off

Start in choke, moved to run. Made cuts, died after about 2 to 3 cuts.

Basically broken after that. And tried many other resets since then.

Yah I'm not up on those reset procedures. The one thing that sucks about AT and MT is that you're beholden to the dealer when problems like this pop up. It's possible you could have finished fouling a plug. Sorry, that's all I got. @dmb2613 works at a dealership I believe. Maybe he can help.

Tried a couple times, a couple different ways. Seems as soon as I start it it will idle and rev fine. Even cut for a cut or two. Then that’s it, just idle no revs after that. Tried opening the gas cap while this is happening, no change.

Saw was fine before this, obviously I wish I never tried to rest it.

First reset I tried that made this happen was:

start in choke, let idle 90. Shut off
Start in choke, moved to run, let idle 90. Shut off

Start in choke, moved to run. Made cuts, died after about 2 to 3 cuts.

Basically broken after that. And tried many other resets since then.
start on choke and let idle for 90 seconds. shut off and this sets it back to default. Will adjust itself as you cut. check plug,filter also.

I promise this saw ran perfect yesterday...And many days before that.

Let me clean this crap out of the carb, then we will see. Guess I need a fuel filter..

And serious all I did this morning was rest the m-Tronic. I will update in a couple minutes. 4462A38E-09FB-469A-9549-F48D7F1AC2EC.jpeg

image.jpg She’s a runner!

It was the carb. My guess is it was obviously clogged up for a while, but the saw adjusted for the clog. Then the reset pissed it off.

I’m glad I reset it, because now I know it did not run perfect yesterday, lol. She runs awesome now.

I ran into a similar problem with a logger's MS 661C. His running-rich problem was solved with a new air filter. These aren't too cheap and I was wondering if OP changed that or cleaned it.

As long as we are at it, is there and easy way to clean the air filters on these M-tronic machines? I've heard it's a hopeless case to clean them.

I ran into a similar problem with a logger's MS 661C. His running-rich problem was solved with a new air filter. These aren't too cheap and I was wondering if OP changed that or cleaned it.

As long as we are at it, is there and easy way to clean the air filters on these M-tronic machines? I've heard it's a hopeless case to clean them.

I've used Stihl brand carb cleaner. From the inside out and blow dry with low pressure. Very low. This works the best. The Stihl brand has a different smell than Gumout. The aroma is the same as another brand, which I cant for the life of me remember the name. A general degreaser will work also. Dawn too.
If a water base cleaner is used, let it air dry.
Black and white filters are the same material. They changed to white so the debris can be seen easier.

And just to be clear, any Mtronic will run ok if not calibrated. After enough cuts, it does it itself.
No damage will occur from a uncalibrated saw.
Unless of course the saw has been sitting and the fuel turned.

I've used Stihl brand carb cleaner. From the inside out and blow dry with low pressure. Very low. This works the best. The Stihl brand has a different smell than Gumout. The aroma is the same as another brand, which I cant for the life of me remember the name. A general degreaser will work also. Dawn too.
If a water base cleaner is used, let it air dry. Black and white filters are the same material. They changed to white so the debris can be seen easier.

And just to be clear, any Mtronic will run ok if not calibrated. After enough cuts, it does it itself.
No damage will occur from a uncalibrated saw.
Unless of course the saw has been sitting and the fuel turned.
Bingo! I just got him on the phone in the nick of time and told him not to throw the old air filter away. He ran it for two years, but he puts lots of hours on his saws. His and the new one I bought for him are both black and yes, it is hard to see the crud build up. Thanks a bunch!

Been using starting fluid followed by air. Works good on all types of Stihl filters.

start on choke and let idle for 90 seconds. shut off and this sets it back to default. Will adjust itself as you cut. check plug,filter also.

That's right

The deal on the air filters is to replace them , They don't take well to being blown out with air
I clean mine, but I would not let someone else clean my filter
Put the orange fuel filter in it, change it often and you will not have any fuel problems, it is a very fine filter and clogs up quicker than the white ones. But it does a great job keeping crap out of the carb

@dmb2613 I just put a 362 c-m together. Complete new oem bottom end. Used the carb and coil off the crushed 362. Did the default and run in wood for 10 minutes. It comes out of the cut and idles beautifully. When I kill it and then repull to crank it takes 2 to 4 pulls to crank. Then idles good and will scream in the wood. Kill it and 2 to 4 pulls later starts back up ? Troubleshoot! Please! Has new 1140-440-3010 harness.

View attachment 802090 She’s a runner!

It was the carb. My guess is it was obviously clogged up for a while, but the saw adjusted for the clog. Then the reset pissed it off.

I’m glad I reset it, because now I know it did not run perfect yesterday, lol. She runs awesome now.
:rock:

@dmb2613 I just put a 362 c-m together. Complete new oem bottom end. Used the carb and coil off the crushed 362. Did the default and run in wood for 10 minutes. It comes out of the cut and idles beautifully. When I kill it and then repull to crank it takes 2 to 4 pulls to crank. Then idles good and will scream in the wood. Kill it and 2 to 4 pulls later starts back up ? Troubleshoot! Please! Has new 1140-440-3010 harness.

Have you checked for leaks, the M Tronic will correct for a small leak, but will still be a little hard to start, does it seam a little flooded? or not enough fuel?

Have you checked for leaks, the M Tronic will correct for a small leak, but will still be a little hard to start, does it seam a little flooded? or not enough fuel?
Did not check for leaks. The saw was new from the factory. The man I bought it from buys them and then parts them out. I just put my carb ,flywheel,muffler and oil pump. If I hold the throttle it will crank 1st or 2nd pull

passed crankcase pressure/vac test. also pressure/vac tested fuel tank. passed. ordered white solenoid. my stihl rep says maybe wrong wiring harness?:confused:

Back