Need some advice on chain spinners/breakers Which to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
It's time I bought a spinner/breaker. I don't think the breaker is really necessary, I have a bunch of grinders. What is the best deal going on them? Any to stay away from? Do they sell assorted strap/rivet kits? I never used one, not sure what to look for. Any advice is appreciated. :)

I have an Oregon set, spinner and breaker. Hardly used...very dusty though.

I use a right angle grinder and a ballpeen to close with. A lot faster and easier.

No not really. My boy still uses it from time to time.

Oregon is a very well made set.

I just drink too much coffee, always in a hurry.:hmm3grin2orange:

I am in the same boat with wanting to make my own chains and here is some of the info I have found.

Baileys has their combo kit but UPS shipping is $23 to me on the east coast.
Bailey's - WoodlandPro Chain Breaker & Spinner Combination

I have personally been interested in one of the vise grip style deals
Bailey's - Granberg Break-N-Mend Portable Chain Breaker/Spinner

Found these on Ebay that look to be a good deal with the free shipping, claims that it used Oregon replacement parts.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

HFT has a breaker/spinner unit that I have heard good things about, they carry them in most of the stores if you wanted to take a "hands on" look at them.
Chain Breaker/Spinner for Chain Saws

The ebay breaker/spinner looks to be a good deal, if it's true that Oregon parts will fit. I think Baileys sells that unit also. I wonder if Greg can confirm that it will take Oregon parts.

Edit: Oops, Bailey's has the W/P one I in the link you posted, not the Forrester.

Last edited:
Here is what I have found

The Forester number for the breaker is FOR24548 and Oregon has a model 24548A that is identical, I am believing it is nothing more than a relabeled Oregon.

The forester number for the spinner is FOR24549 and again Oregon has a model 24549A that is very similar but not 100% identical.

Last edited:
...Maybe someone else will chime in, but I bought one from Harbor Freight and its a combo unit..both tools on one mount...For as often as I use it, it works great for me. I have had it about 3 months and have used it about 6 times....mostly for 1/2" pitch chain too!
Rich

I lucked out and found a used set-up locally for $75, but I was about to buy the Baileys, Woodland Pro set......Gregg claims they spin all their chains in house with those, so that's way more use than guys like us will ever do.

The forester kit will take the oregon parts. They are a hexagon shape and just push in and pull out on the spinner. They all look the same and parts should interchange with any model that copies the OEM Oregon.

I bought my stihl spinner off of here used and have a breaker from tilton (jonsered dealers). The breaker is awesome. I have used a grinder in a pinch before and the breaker is just so much easier to use.

This chain holder is a lot better than the other chain holders used with the oregon copies.

Tilton Equipment :: Tecomec Chain Breaker

I'm doing the same thing. Just bought the Oregon spinner and no breaker. What else do we need....strap kit that fits all chains or a kit for each brand or what.

Bailey's price is good, I got a spinner at dealer cost and it was just a few dollars cheaper than there price.

I'm doing the same thing. Just bought the Oregon spinner and no breaker. What else do we need....strap kit that fits all chains or a kit for each brand or what.

Bailey's price is good, I got a spinner at dealer cost and it was just a few dollars cheaper than there price.

When you buy a reel of chain, they come with a pack of ties and presets. Otherwise, I just ask my dealer(s) for some extras. Every brand is different with their ties and presets, along with the sizes. So it can be a pain hunting down all those parts. My dealers have no problem giving me some as they have tons of extras....probably your best way to go.

My experience has been that the HF model is OK, but the anvil and punch are both weak. Also the spinner bits don't swap with Oregon parts, so don't mess 'em up. If you buy the good adjustable anvil, it won't fit under the breaker unless you cut a hole for it. It IS nice that it's both tools in one and cheap. However, the Oregon set cost me I think just over $100 vs ~$50 (including link guide sheet!) and has been trouble-free. If you're hemming and hawing over that few bucks, just stop. Buy the Oregon set and be done with it. Don't bother with the vise grip type except for emergency field use.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to get the Forester. That way, should something break, I can replace it with Oregon. Who knows, it may be a rebadged Oregon.

I got a set from madsens which are italian made so maybe tecomec I guess. I would have to go dig around for the boxes to find out. I've spun up 2 rolls of chain in the last 9 months plus lengthening and shortening I don't know how many chains. They've worked well for me.

I was about to buy the Baileys, Woodland Pro set......Gregg claims they spin all their chains in house with those, so that's way more use than guys like us will ever do.

All things (and prices) equal, I would have bought the Oregon, because I trust their quality and know I could get parts. But when I visited Bailey's warehouse and saw them using theirs for all of their custom chain loop orders, I got the confidence to go with their less expensive pair, and use the savings to buy extra parts and supplies: replacement punches, and an assortment of tie straps and pre-sets to fit a variety of chains.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to get the Forester.

Whatever brand you buy, see if you can buy a few extra punches with your breaker - something I was advised to do in some similar threads here on A.S. Apparently, it is not uncommon to break these, especially when you are learning. The cost of postage for replacement parts can exceed the cost of the parts, aside from having to wait.

Philbert

Back