New stihl hs45 trimmer stalls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
2 months old 1.5 tanks of tru fuel through it. The primer bulb returns slower then other machines. The last few days I've started it it starts then stalls did this 17 times the other day before it stayed running. I've heard these have crap Carbs but didn't expect problems with trufuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No two stroke will run well unless properly tuned. Weather conditions/elevation/fuel mix have probably changed since purchase. Many dealers are more concerned about tuning to max unloaded rpm with a tach and only touch H needle. However the L is what will have it spool up fast and and make it idle well. The H & L work together so BOTH must be tuned, restore factory setting and adjust from there. lt appears a half turn of the L either cw OR ccw would some what fix it falling on its face.

On my stihl trimmer (HS-something) I needed up playing with both the H and L screws. Made it richer on both. Now it runs like a champ!

The op has more than one piece of ope that he runs and unless he buys all Mtronic models its important to know how to do basic tuning. Going to a dealer to do what can be fixed in a matter of minutes with the little orange screwy thingi is PITA. As the old saying goes, give a man a fish he can eat for one night...teach him how to fish, he can eat for life. Tuning is not magic witchcraft, its basic maitenence.

If minor adjusting doesn't help it could be the accelerator pump o-ring failed. -but It's under warranty though; take It back to the dealer. Simple as that.....
That's why you didn't buy a crapsman Right?

:happy:Usually a slow return on a primer means either a kinked line, plugged filter, or a really clogged up screen inside the carb.
I've also seen filters get wedged in strange ways inside the tank; kinking the fuel line. - although rare.

Latest posts

Back