Not another 346XP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felt the difference when I put a 357 carb on my old ported 45cc OE. But no gains with a 357 intake.
That's because the 346 boot is actually larger than the 357 boot. The only real benefits come from the larger air horn when swapping the intake tract. Obviously the HDA 191/199 has a larger venturi so there's some benefit from that. But I look at mileage too. If I can get similar power with the HDA 159 and have a longer run time I'll leave it.

That's because the 346 boot is actually larger than the 357 boot. The only real benefits come from the larger air horn when swapping the intake tract. Obviously the HDA 191/199 has a larger venturi so there's some benefit from that. But I look at mileage too. If I can get similar power with the HDA 159 and have a longer run time I'll leave it.
Yes, old-cat had brought that to my attention a while back.

I agree 100%!

If I remember correct, mastermind brought up this issue awhile ago, and old-cat had a thread about it also.
I cant remember all the details but I thought mastermind used the 346 intake because the 357 intake doesnt fit that well.

You don't need to spend any extra to get a 346 running well. My personal 346 has a mm, unlimited coil, set squish and I really don't feel the need to grind on it, even though I know what I can get out of them.

My personal 346 wasn't that behind a ported 346..

346 FTW!!! NICE! :)

The cylinder end of the 346 boot is .025" taller and wider than the 357 boot.
20150417_190145_resized-L.jpg

The 357 boot is .060" larger on the carb end.
20150417_190145_resized-L.jpg

With the larger 357 carb bore matching up to the 357 boot, I'd personally rather have the 357 boot. I believe the 357 boot will flow more air, as the carb end is the smallest to begin with.

You have build so many great runners that you know whitch one of them that work best out for you Brad.

Personaly I want to try out the old-cat modd, I think he is spot on this one
The challenge still remains for me to get the carb end of the boot enlarged NEATLY. The one I did seemed to work good but it was more sloppy than I like.

Back