Novice to Chainsaws - Just bought zero hours Poulan Pro 5020av 20" 2-stroke gas chainsaw. Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarzWalker

Reaction score
The Story:

Last night I had a need to replace a Poulan Pro 16" 33cc saw for my roommate and the replacement of course had to be as good or better than what he had that I THOUGHT I had damaged. It recently became my job to drop a bunch of trees (mostly red oak) and clean up dozens of downed trees around the house on our 50 acre horse farm of sorts where we currently rent a house, so our power bill won't skyrocket and drive my roommate over the edge. Lol

For the last 25 years I've been in software development but prior to that I spent about 8 years working with my stepfather who was a class A building contractor. As a carpenter I used many different power saws including chain saws. But it was rare and brief that I worked with a chainsaw. So, I'm offensively ignorant on the subject. For the next month while I get us set up for firewood the rest of the year, but drop a dozen or so other trees, cut rounds, split, stack and let them start seasoning NOW for next season.

When I thought I burnt his saw up yesterday I immediately started searching everywhere for a suitable replacement before telling him. He overreacts and I didn't want to hear it. Lol and on Craigslist I found this PP5020AV 20" 50 cc saw that was at a reputable Richmond pawnshop for just $70. And from the one picture, it looked well taken care of. AND, as luck would have it I had a doctor's appointment today just 4 blocks from the pawn shop. Which is an hour and 20 minutes away from my home, so I took it as fate. I couldn't find anything close to what he already had anywhere else at that point, for less than $125-150 and they were all over the state.

I strolled into the shop and walked directly to the saws and BAM. The friggin thing has obviously never been used. It was fueled one time back when it was new in 2016, simply to show it worked for the pawn shop. Ever since then it's been sitting in the warehouse. I mean look at the blade lettering and even inside the air filter access panel doesn't even have a spec of dust. See the pictures attached:

IMG_20191206_213239.jpg 15756887541463746721663828459202.jpg 15756887788411146120353604253407.jpg

But when I got it home and tried to get her going, it starts perfectly (when paying precise attention to the instructions) and then almost immediately bogs down and dies. I've never gotten it started successfully. Which from the little I DO know makes perfect sense and it's easy to fix. Fuel has been sitting in the tank and fuel system for 3 years with no movement. So the carburetor is likely gummed up and lines and filter could be gummy as well. Easy peasy. But then it got weirder.

When I was putting it back in the case for the night I noticed it had a little fuel mixture leaked in the bottom of the case and also what looked to ME like the vent line from the saw.

How would it be able to get loose AND drop outside the chassis while sitting in storage? Where the hell do you reattach the damn thing to the saw? Does that explain the fuel and oil in the case? And would it be a possible cause for the bogging down and cutting off?

And, it has oil and rust covering the entire muffler face. How is THAT possible? What does it all mean?

Also on the same topic. I'd like to do some tuning and mods tomorrow when I have it stripped down cleaning the carburetor. Planning to do the muffler mod, but would LOVE some top pro tuning tips.

Thanks a bunch!
Larz

Latest posts

Back