Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyicculus

Reaction score
As a newb, I’m insanely confused with all of the “oil” options out there.

I have a Husky 440.

As for fuel, I’ve been using a store bought pre-mix (I’m ordering Husky brand pre-mix just to be safe).

I recently bought Husky brand bar and chain oil. HOWEVER, the small print on the back scared me off, “not for internal engine use”. So, my question: what the heck do I use to fill the oil tank if aforementioned bar and chain oil is “not for engine use”?!

Further, 2 stroke oil is for mixing with fuel ONLY, yes?

I just want to make sure I put the correct oil in the oil tank.

Thanks guys!

The oil reservoir that supplies oil to keep the chain lubricated is separate from the internal parts of the engine. So, yes, fill that tank with the bar and chain oil you bought. Just be sure not to put it in the gas tank.

And you are correct that 2 stroke oil is intended for mixing with gasoline and it is that mix you put in the gas tank. I do not buy the pre-mixed stuff. It is no doubt good stuff, but expensive. Unless you are doing a lot of sawing and going through a lot of fuel it is convenient to have a one gallon gas tank which is used only for the gas/oil mix. Little bottles of 2 stroke oil can be bought which are sized to have the entire contents added to one gallon of gas. (There are also bottles sized for larger quantities of gas, there are some that have a built in measuring function so you can dispense whatever amount you need for your gas container.)

Enjoy your new saw.

I further caution you on using premixed fuel. Unless it has a tamper evident cap. Here is why... Some people are less than considerate to their fellow man. They will buy a can of fuel, take it home and fill their weedeater or chainsaw for their once a year venture out into their "wild" hedgerow. They then refill that fuel container with gasoline, oil, water or whatever liquid they have laying around and take it back for a refund. That can gets restocked and resold to the unsuspecting public and installed into their chainsaw and it ruins the engine. Yes, premixed fuel is good fuel, however it can be tampered with so be cautious.

I can tell you are new from your question, and I may come across a bit condescending, but I am only trying to simplify it to the point where anyone could understand.

Your saw has 2 fill caps. It may say fuel on one and oil on the other, it my have pictures, or if it is older the label might be gone. The one that says gas, fuel, mix, petrol or a picture to represent that gets premixed 2-stroke fuel. It doesn't matter if it is the overpriced sealed can fuel or fresh gas mixed with whichever bottle of 2-stroke oil mixed according to the directions. DON'T USE ETHANOL FOR THE FUEL MIX! Small engines hate ethanol. Anyone who tells you it works fine doesn't work on small engines. Fuel stabilizer helps if you don't burn all your mix in a month but some of the 2-stroke oil has it already added. Some will argue on the brand of 2-stroke oil to mix in your gas but any name brand will work.

The oil or lubricant cap is for putting bar and chain oil in. Here is where you can get more creative. You can run just about anything clean that has lubricant like properties. The safe bet is stuff called "bar and chain oil". Depending on the temperature when you are cutting though it can be too thick in sub-zero temperatures. Some people thin it out with motor oil or ATF, while others will run straight 30w or even vegetable oil. Don't run gas in it or a spark from a rock can set you bar on fire.

If you use vegetable oil, make sure it is 100% canola. I've been using that for bar and chain oil for about 4 years with no problems.
I’ve been thinking about trying canola oil for bar oil. Is the viscosity thick or thin? Does it ever empty out before the gas/oil goes empty?
Smell like french fries at all??? :)

Much thinner than bar and chain - regardless of weather. It has never frozen on me...but I'm not out if it is -10 either!

Has not emptied before gas on me.

Smells a little like fries. New helper said the other day "never thought a chainsaw would make me hungry!"

I've probably gone through 20-30 gallons. It might make a little more fine saw dust stick under the clutch cover, but otherwise, I wouldn't know the difference looking at a saw that has run canola or traditional bar and chain. I haven't noticed additional wear or heat buildup.

Much thinner than bar and chain - regardless of weather. It has never frozen on me...but I'm not out if it is -10 either!

Has not emptied before gas on me.

Smells a little like fries. New helper said the other day "never thought a chainsaw would make me hungry!"

I've probably gone through 20-30 gallons. It might make a little more fine saw dust stick under the clutch cover, but otherwise, I wouldn't know the difference looking at a saw that has run canola or traditional bar and chain. I haven't noticed additional wear or heat buildup.

No idea where you live, but -10* isn't too bad.

When it gets in the -20 to -30 area it starts to suck getting equipment running and warmed up.

Thinning the bar oil with a few cups of diesel helps it flow in cold temps.

Thinning the bar oil with a few cups of diesel helps it flow in cold temps.

I have ran straight 30w in cold temp and I have thinned bar and chain oil with ATF. But I have cut in temps so cold that diesel trucks and tractors were gel so I would not think diesel would be a good thinner for cold weather cutting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back