Old STRUNK chainsaw.. looking for info, chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Tucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old STRUNK chainsaw that I bought at a church rummage sale many moons ago. I've yet to see another one like it, or find anyone that knows anything about it, much less where I can have a chain made for it. I'll try to provide as much info here as I can, with the hope that someone might be able to tell me something more about it, as well as where I can have a chain made for it.

The saw has a metal decal plate above the drive sprocket shield that states "MFG. BY STRUNK EQUIP. CO. COATESVILLE, PA.". The model number stamped on that plate is "PD 1247801", and the Serial number stamped on the plate is "3-031705". A separate metal decal plate located on the bottom side of the pull starter area has "SAW SERIAL NUMBER (the number is obliterated, but I think I can make out XX446XX with the X's signifying potential digits) and "ENG. SERIAL NO. 186120W1018" along with directions for operating the saw, as well as the correct mix ratio for the fuel. "FUEL MIXTURE: USE A SEPARATE CLEAN CONTAINER. MIX ONE-HALF PINT NO. 30 MOTOR OIL WITH EACH GALLON GASOLINE".
The saw is mainly red, with the fuel tank having a silver metal adhesive label on the lower edge with the word "STRUNK" in black letters. A green circular painted decal of a beaver gnawing on some wood is just above that with the word "STRUNK" in it as well.
The "pull rope" style starter is marked as a "BULLDOG" starter and the stampings on the starter state that it was manufactured by the "ARMSTRONG PRODUCTS COMPANY MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN".
The exposed part of the bar (the area which would be used to actually cut wood) is approximately 20 inches long, with identical silver metal adhesive labels with the word "STRUNK" in black letters as the fuel tank has. These labels are on both side of the bar.
The chain itself has a link pin center to center distance of 1/2 inch, and a thickness of 3/16 inch. The total height of the chain (from the part that rides in the bar to the top of the cutting edge) is approximately 7/8 inch, with the cutting part sticking up ~ 1/8 inch above the actual chain itself. The chain has a total of 53 links in it with three of the links have the number "11007" stamped on one side.

Any information on this saw, the "STRUNK" name, and especially where I might be able to have a chain made for it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I don't know much about the saw, sorry. But if you measure the chain between any three rivets and divide by to you will get pitch, i.e. .808" between three rivets divided by 2 would be .404" chain. Good luck. Jonathan

Strunk model PD-3.
Manufactured 1956. Gear drive type.
Chain was 1/2" pitch. The Oregon chain would have been number 9C for a chipper chain or 9L for a chisel chain.
these are no longer manufactured so your only hope would be to find a good used one, possibly from someone that reads this bulletin board.
Mike

STRUNK follow-up..

WOW! All I can say is, you guys are GOOD! I've been asking about this saw for about 5 years now, and nobody has ever even HEARD of a STRUNK. One day's worth of posting it here, and whammo.. more info than I've have dreamt possible! To everyone who replied, THANK YOU!

"The Oregon chain would have been number 9C for a chipper chain or 9L for a chisel chain"

Now, please bear with me, and provide me with some education... I'm not an arborist by trade (I build closed circuit underwater life support systems for a living), and I have no clue what a "chipper" chain, or a "chisel" chain is, nor what the correct application is for either of them. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'd love to get the saw fully functional again (it runs now), even if just for an occasional day up in the woodlot letting an old saw chew on a log or two for old times sake. To that end, it would need a new chain as the one on it has been sharpened almost into oblivion.

So, in answer to your inquiry "HomeDelight Man", I'd be very interested in that chain. Please let me know more info on it..

And again, THANK YOU, to all who helped! :)

Hello why don't you visit sawchain.com and look at the difference between chisel and chipper. I can tell you that chipper chain has been around since the iceage. 1/2" pitch chain is obselete. Chisel is worth alot to hot saw competitors. Chipper isnot really the fastest cutting but holds an edge longer. Good luck, Jonathan

Chisel vs. Chipper chain

If you can imagine the cutting tooth profile, the chisel is kinda like a '7' and the chipper is kinda like a '?'. The pointed corner on the chisel is more aggressive but can dull quicker, especially if the operator gets too close to the dirt.

Chipper vs Chisel

Thanks guys..

As suggested I did take a look at Sawchain.com (after winding up at chainsaw.com, which is an alternative music site for some reason .. <go figure>, and after scrolling thru a bunch of different chain.. I learned the difference between chisel and chipper chain. Talk about learning new things everyday! Thanks to all who have taken a hand in my education.. I sincerely appreciate it.

Now, to the crux of the matter.. where can I buy that chipper chain someone spoke of.. I've got a few logs that old saw is just dying to cut.. :)

hey there

I have an old STRUNK chainsaw that I bought at a church rummage sale many moons ago. I've yet to see another one like it, or find anyone that knows anything about it, much less where I can have a chain made for it. I'll try to provide as much info here as I can, with the hope that someone might be able to tell me something more about it, as well as where I can have a chain made for it.

The saw has a metal decal plate above the drive sprocket shield that states "MFG. BY STRUNK EQUIP. CO. COATESVILLE, PA.". The model number stamped on that plate is "PD 1247801", and the Serial number stamped on the plate is "3-031705". A separate metal decal plate located on the bottom side of the pull starter area has "SAW SERIAL NUMBER (the number is obliterated, but I think I can make out XX446XX with the X's signifying potential digits) and "ENG. SERIAL NO. 186120W1018" along with directions for operating the saw, as well as the correct mix ratio for the fuel. "FUEL MIXTURE: USE A SEPARATE CLEAN CONTAINER. MIX ONE-HALF PINT NO. 30 MOTOR OIL WITH EACH GALLON GASOLINE".
The saw is mainly red, with the fuel tank having a silver metal adhesive label on the lower edge with the word "STRUNK" in black letters. A green circular painted decal of a beaver gnawing on some wood is just above that with the word "STRUNK" in it as well.
The "pull rope" style starter is marked as a "BULLDOG" starter and the stampings on the starter state that it was manufactured by the "ARMSTRONG PRODUCTS COMPANY MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN".
The exposed part of the bar (the area which would be used to actually cut wood) is approximately 20 inches long, with identical silver metal adhesive labels with the word "STRUNK" in black letters as the fuel tank has. These labels are on both side of the bar.
The chain itself has a link pin center to center distance of 1/2 inch, and a thickness of 3/16 inch. The total height of the chain (from the part that rides in the bar to the top of the cutting edge) is approximately 7/8 inch, with the cutting part sticking up ~ 1/8 inch above the actual chain itself. The chain has a total of 53 links in it with three of the links have the number "11007" stamped on one side.

Any information on this saw, the "STRUNK" name, and especially where I might be able to have a chain made for it would be greatly appreciated.

hi, i bought a strunk chainsaw at a garage sale and i would like to know if its worth anything. its model number is PD3-19 i would greatly appreciate any information. 304-834-1767 or 304-494-7922

Value like beauty is in the eye (or wallet) of the beholder. Strunk saws were somewhat common but have not really caught on too much with collectors.

I have an old "Shur Kut", the gear box is not filled with oil and you are instructed to give it a few drops of SAE#30 oil daily to keep everything in good working order.

Mark

Still got that old Strunk - now looking for a chain drive gear

Well, it's been awhile since I posted.. 10 years? Time flies...

Still got that old Strunk chainsaw.. and been slowly working to get it back in cutting form during my copious free time. Found a 1/2" chain at a local shop that they had kicking around in the back for awhile, and they let it go for cheap (my type of people!).

However when I mounted the chain on the bar, I noticed the chain was "sticking" as I manually pulled the chain around to make sure it was on the bar correctly. Further investigation showed the "drive tooth" of prior chains had worn a groove in the drive sprocket which causes the new chain to bind up when its' "drive tooth" drops into that wear groove when the chain is rotated. I believe the old chain was just so worn and stretched that it didn't didn't have the issue..

I took the drive gear off with a puller, and it appears to be relatively straight-forward.. a drive gear with oiler holes drilled into it that get the lubricating oil that is supplied through the center of the drive shaft.

Now the question is: Where to find a replacement drive gear? Anyone have an old STRUNK laying around that they are willing to part out? Anyone had any luck brazing / welding in some replacement metal, and then maching the drive gear back to shape? Any other ideas?

As always, appreciate the help...

Still got that old Strunk chainsaw.. and been slowly working to get it back in cutting form during my copious free time. Found a 1/2" chain at a local shop that they had kicking around in the back for awhile, and they let it go for cheap (my type of people!).

However when I mounted the chain on the bar, I noticed the chain was "sticking" as I manually pulled the chain around to make sure it was on the bar correctly. Further investigation showed the "drive tooth" of prior chains had worn a groove in the drive sprocket which causes the new chain to bind up when its' "drive tooth" drops into that wear groove when the chain is rotated. I believe the old chain was just so worn and stretched that it didn't didn't have the issue..

I took the drive gear off with a puller, and it appears to be relatively straight-forward.. a drive gear with oiler holes drilled into it that get the lubricating oil that is supplied through the center of the drive shaft.

Now the question is: Where to find a replacement drive gear? Anyone have an old STRUNK laying around that they are willing to part out? Anyone had any luck brazing / welding in some replacement metal, and then maching the drive gear back to shape? Any other ideas?

Nice to see you're still around, How about some pics of the 'ol beast!?

Slow down, Steve, you don't want folks thinking you're just padding post count for credits :laugh:.

I have several old gear drive AH engines around here and I will take a look to see if I may have a sprocket.

I can't rep you just yet, Johnnie, need to spread it around.

Update on the old Strunk saw..

Well folks, I figured it's been a few months... time for an update.

Have had no luck finding a replacement drive sprocket for the old saw, so I finally went and saw a buddy of mine at work who has a machine shop on the side. Showed him the worn drive sprocket, explained the "sticking chain" problem, and asked him for ideas.

Well, that was yesterday. Today he calls me up and tells me the sprocket is "like new", and danged if it wasn't. He'd welded in new material in the worn areas, machined it smooth, then bead blasted it for good measure.. you'd swear it was "new old stock", it looks that good! Cost me $35, but hey - it's just money, right?

So, with any luck I'll put the saw back together this week and see if she works.

Wish me luck!

Steve

I would like to see some pics of the sprocket too. Often times various NOS spurs will surface with no box or no product # or the manufacturer has been out of business for 50 years. There are quite a few interesting sprocket variations out there. They could make a neat collection of their own.

Latest posts

Back