One crank tool to rule them all!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE:

I anticipate having sets actually made available from the first run of 20 THIS WEEK.

Thanks to @Derf for doing the machining of the threaded rods... can't wait to see them...likely tomorrow!

For those of you that are on the list of 20, i'll contact you asap and ask for $$ when I KNOW the sets are good and they are in my hand. Be ready folks!

I finished machining the sleeves last night. The threaded rods will be arriving today or tomorrow. If they come tonight, I'll get them tested just to make sure they r good....and yall will have emails asap.

Best case scenario will be shipping Saturday am. :)

I have ordered the 2nd batch of threaded rods.

I have in hand the aluminum sleeve blanks.

Gen 2, here we come!

For all those that already bought gen 1, thanks! and i'll be contacting you to see if you want the gen 2 pieces as well as soon as I get them in hand

SUCCESS!!! Just put a ms360 clone together, the tools work perfectly! FIRST TRY! I have video to follow. Gonna edit it asap for the vid contest :)

Gen 2 is a go! ...now just waiting on the rods from Fred, and for me to get the rest of what I have machined up. Takes me about an hour to do 5 rods... and since I have 40 gen 2 blanks and 20 more gen 1 blanks....it might be a bit lol!

The gen 1 kit is 100 shipped. I have a couple extra because some people have elected to wait for gen 2. The gen 2 kit I think I can do at 150 shipped. ...but all 20 of this batch run are already spoken for...even before it was prototype. I'm taking names to be on the backup list or the 3rd batch. I don't know pricing on that yet but if I farm out more of the machining it might be more than 150 for the set.

The gen 2 set is just and addition to gen 1....and includes a smaller sleeve for doing these stihl flywheel side seals that are tiny.

Figured I'd put an update over here as to what is going on. FINALLY gen 2 tool kits are in stock, and will be going out to the original 20 people on the list. I only have twelve for right this second, so its first come first served out of the original 20. Everyone on the list will be offered tools, but for now, I have twelve.

For those that want to be on the backup list, you can contact me and I'll mark your spot in line to get a tool when they get made.

Here's what you get:
4 threaded rods. This should cover most of the flywheel and clutch side thread sizes for the relevant saws.
stihl 026, 044, 066, husky 242, 346, 262 288, 394, 372 etc etc.

the one oddity about these rods is that the flywheel side rod is 5/8" diameter not 3/4" and this is one of the biggest design changes. the 5/8" rod will work with the large sleeve, and if you want to shim it because its sloppy fit in the 3/4" sleeve, just wrap 10x wraps of electrical tape, but it really doesn't need a shim. obviously the 5/8" rod will work with the 5/8" sleeve. ...albeit a tight fit this go around.

you get 2 sleeves. I REALLY had hoped to only need one sleeve. BUT, because some of the saws have such tight flywheel side seal pockets, a smaller sleeve is indeed necessary. ie, the 044 has a 19mm flywheel side seal pocket, which the small sleeve is designed to fit in...again...its a tad tight.

you get 2 nuts and washers, and a threaded rod for a handle.

I'm doing my best with the manufacturing, the 5/8" holes in the sleeves I had to drill out myself and they are a tad tight. I'm doing the sleeves on an old lathe in my folks garage and using their bridgeport to slot the sleeves. aside from the tight fits, these kits WILL work. do not muscle these. watch the videos on my youtube channel. they do not need lots of force, and will last a very long time... many many cycles.

tools will be ship USPS priority to the lower 48. for those international customers, its gonna be quite pricey, and may take a long time to get to you. please consider that before placing your order.

Thanks so much for all the interest!

asd;lfkjawo;eifjaw;oeijfao;wijv;zsdn;viaso;eifjaw;oeijf;aoweijf;oawif

Ok, so I'm frustrated on multiple levels. I can get my 5/8" super long drill bit through the small sleeves, but the rods are tight.

I've reamed out a few and shipped, but most of the sleeves are impossibly tight on the rods. I even broke my neighbors reamer trying to fix it.

Sleeves are going to Fred to figure out how badly I messed up. I may just order new small sleeves and start over. Part of the problem is that the tube I ordered had a 1/2" ID ... 1/4" wall. I need 5/8" ID ... so I drilled them out from both sides. Obviously there is some error there that seems to have gotten worse as I've gone along. Instead of just filling boxes now, I'm reaming each silly sleeve ...again... and it isn't working. On the large sleeves, the rods FALL through... no problem.

hopefully Fred to the rescue here......

so, for everyone I just sent emails to... PAUSE......

UGH

Latest posts

Back