One crank tool to rule them all!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI Matt
I would like to order a set
of your Crankshaft Tools
I am not far from you in
Sturbridge,Ma area Where 84 Starts
and if your Still in Farmington CT it
About a 40 mile Trip so i could swing by
if you allowed that and save you the packing time
Or if you want to ship thats fine as well
Please let me know how to Purchase and Price
Looking forward to hearing from you
if you need my e mail let me know
Thanks DISORDER65
Message sent.

As an update.... my machinist is making the sleeves now. He told me eta is next Wednesday or Thursday. Phew! Will finally have stock again! I have hundreds of rods just waiting around for sleeves.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Old thread but I thought I'd give my opinion. First, the original poster graciously never planned to seek a patent and posted the design publicly, knowing that it would not be patentable after that. I made my own set out of bolts and metal stock. They worked very well and I used them to seat a few cranks and bearings. I stopped routinely using them because it seemed that it was easier and less traumatic on bearing pockets and cranks to use the traditional heat methods. By heating the case halves to 300-350 degrees F, bearings can be dropped into the expanded pockets, usually seating fully. When both are at room temperature, you are press fitting a steel bearing race into a magnesium alloy case. There is a large amount of pressure and friction. I can't prove it, but it seems logical that there is more chance of enlarging the pocket, eventually resulting in a spun bearing, whereas with heat, the case cools down slowly and clamps down on the bearing race without any friction. What these tools are really handy for is getting you out of a situation where the bearing or crank did not seat fully with heat. They will take it the rest of the way when you really need help. They are also good for making sure the bearing or crank is fully seated if there is doubt.

Old thread but I thought I'd give my opinion. First, the original poster graciously never planned to seek a patent and posted the design publicly, knowing that it would not be patentable after that. I made my own set out of bolts and metal stock. They worked very well and I used them to seat a few cranks and bearings. I stopped routinely using them because it seemed that it was easier and less traumatic on bearing pockets and cranks to use the traditional heat methods. By heating the case halves to 300-350 degrees F, bearings can be dropped into the expanded pockets, usually seating fully. When both are at room temperature, you are press fitting a steel bearing race into a magnesium alloy case. There is a large amount of pressure and friction. I can't prove it, but it seems logical that there is more chance of enlarging the pocket, eventually resulting in a spun bearing, whereas with heat, the case cools down slowly and clamps down on the bearing race without any friction. What these tools are really handy for is getting you out of a situation where the bearing or crank did not seat fully with heat. They will take it the rest of the way when you really need help. They are also good for making sure the bearing or crank is fully seated if there is doubt.
Hmm I have a set, and I seat the bearings using heat on the case half as you mention, and use the tool to draw the crank thru the inner race of the bearings.

if your using it to draw the bearings into the case halfs, your using them incorrectly.

As stated, good to have around when needed to finish an bearing install.

Latest posts

Back