Open port/ closed port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sorry for asking newbie questions, but I get confused with terminology most of the time.

When talking about saws and there engines what does closed port and open port mean? Also do these different designs use different pistons or does this describe what the piston is ?

Sorry for asking newbie questions, but I get confused with terminology most of the time.

When talking about saws and there engines what does closed port and open port mean? Also do these different designs use different pistons or does this describe what the piston is ?

Open port cylinder is a cylinder with the ports open from the cylinder base up to the point of transfer from the port to the top of the piston. Closed port is a cylinder with the ports closed for a portion of their height from the base up to the transfer point. An open window piston will work with either design but a non windowed piston will only work with a open port cylinder.
Pioneerguy600

Open port cylinder (left, Husky 36) vs. closed port cylinder (right, Husky 272):

PC130001.jpg

Windowed piston (left, Jonsered 670) vs. Non-windowed piston (right, Husky 257):

PC130002.jpg

sorry to drag up an old thread....

Open port cylinder is a cylinder with the ports open from the cylinder base up to the point of transfer from the port to the top of the piston. Closed port is a cylinder with the ports closed for a portion of their height from the base up to the transfer point. An open window piston will work with either design but a non windowed piston will only work with a open port cylinder.
Pioneerguy600

but... was doing some research..
a 372 has a closed window piston but is an closed port cylinder...

what am I missing?

perhaps I found my answer

the ports on the 372 originate from outside the cylinder wall, on others they are originating inside the wall, but lower down.

a la an 066 that Evan posted pics of.

Latest posts

Back