opti 2 opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workboot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody using opti 2 as thier two cycle oil? I have been running it in my all my gas equipment for several years now and love it. I even use it
In my four stroke stuff, I understand it also stabilizes gas witch I find helpful in tools I don't use very often like my tiller. Anyone have any bad
experiences with the stuff.

I have been trying PJ1 Synthetic Gold Fire instead of the Stihl synthetic. Trying to eliminate some of the smoke and deposits. Never used any synthetic 2 banger oil before in anything always just factory spec oils. Any other real good synthetic oils out there.

Anybody using opti 2 as thier two cycle oil? I have been running it in my all my gas equipment for several years now and love it. I even use it
In my four stroke stuff, I understand it also stabilizes gas witch I find helpful in tools I don't use very often like my tiller. Anyone have any bad
experiences with the stuff.

Who makes this oil, never heard of it before. Is it a good quality synthetic do you find over others?

Yeah 100:1 scares me! I have never done it. I had a buddy run it in his banshee and it flew although it was jetted correctly as well. But you wont find me living that dam close to the edge! Unless your trying to win races or something I see no need.

I have been trying PJ1 Synthetic Gold Fire instead of the Stihl synthetic. Trying to eliminate some of the smoke and deposits. Never used any synthetic 2 banger oil before in anything always just factory spec oils. Any other real good synthetic oils out there.

Stihl Ultra (synthetic) is a very clean burning oil. You won't have carbon deposits and it has a fuel stabilizer blended in. There are other synthetics that members I respect use, but I can get the Ultra at my local dealer without any hunting. Though $14/6pk might scare some people off, I don't burn enough in a year to matter.

Stihl Ultra (synthetic) is a very clean burning oil. You won't have carbon deposits and it has a fuel stabilizer blended in. There are other synthetics that members I respect use, but I can get the Ultra at my local dealer without any hunting. Though $14/6pk might scare some people off, I don't burn enough in a year to matter.

The main reason I use Opti 2 is because it burns so much cleaner than Stihl Ultra. I have always run it at 100:1 btw. These days I can buy Opti 2 from ebay cheapest but as always check the shipping charges first.

Having worked in shops for a long time I've seen several of the 100-1 mix oils,such as Optimol,Amsoil,etc.
I've seen people faithfully use it without problems and it certainly does burn cleaner and leave fewer deposits. I once tore down a saw that had run nothing but 100-1 mix all it's life and it was very clean inside,however I was amazed how much the rings had worn-a lot,but otherwise the motor seemed ok for all it's use.
Personally I haven't used 100-1 mix in anything of mine,I use 40-1 on work saws and 32-1 on race saws,although I'd have not regrets using 50-1 mix with some of today's new oils.If you really don't like 2-stroke exhaust smoke than 100-1 mix may be ok for you.
There are generally no really bad mix oils,except for 1 brand I can think of-Chevron 2-stroke mix oil (this goes back a decade or more),I have seen many times the pistons rings "Welded" into their grooves with a very tough carbon,and on one outboard engine it would barely run-the entire exhaust system was plugged with carbon,the whole exhaust port and the entire "Leg" of the motor(as the exhaust goes down the leg and out the propeller). In that motor I cleaned out several pounds of carbon!

Having worked in shops for a long time I've seen several of the 100-1 mix oils,such as Optimol,Amsoil,etc.
I've seen people faithfully use it without problems and it certainly does burn cleaner and leave fewer deposits. I once tore down a saw that had run nothing but 100-1 mix all it's life and it was very clean inside,however I was amazed how much the rings had worn-a lot,but otherwise the motor seemed ok for all it's use.
Personally I haven't used 100-1 mix in anything of mine,I use 40-1 on work saws and 32-1 on race saws,although I'd have not regrets using 50-1 mix with some of today's new oils.If you really don't like 2-stroke exhaust smoke than 100-1 mix may be ok for you.
There are generally no really bad mix oils,except for 1 brand I can think of-Chevron 2-stroke mix oil (this goes back a decade or more),I have seen many times the pistons rings "Welded" into their grooves with a very tough carbon,and on one outboard engine it would barely run-the entire exhaust system was plugged with carbon,the whole exhaust port and the entire "Leg" of the motor(as the exhaust goes down the leg and out the propeller). In that motor I cleaned out several pounds of carbon!

With the richer mixes have you found any problems with plug fouling?

No I haven't had plug fouling problems,but I know spark plugs well enough that I pick and choose a particular spark plug for whatever the motor's job may be. For instance in my outboard motor used for hours and hours of trolling at barely above idle,where the motor can "load up" with rich fuel,I'll use a hotter plug with an extended tip,but also realizing with that plug in the motor I can't blast miles across the lake at full throttle either or risk cooking a piston.
My preference for mix ratios are my own idiosyncrasies,a good 50-1 mix oil would probably safely run any saw or 2-stroke under almost any condition.

Even though the 100-1 mix oils have proven themselves,unless I'm really allergic to exhaust smoke,I can't help thinking it's similar to running your car with less oil in the crankcase to see if you can get away with it...
Just my own preferences.

Latest posts

Back