Oregon CS300 40V Cordless Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Oregon recently released its model CS300, 40 volt, battery powered chainsaw, as part of its PowerNow line of cordless tools.
Screen shot 2015-09-27 at 11.27.31 PM.png
Key specifications (according to manufacturer):
- Bar: 16 inches;
- Chain: 3/8 pitch, low profile, PowerSharp, with built-in sharpener;
- Chain Speed: 2796 feet/minute (equals 233 feet/ second, or 71 meters/second);
- Weight (with bar and battery): 12 pounds (5.4 kg)
- Retail: $ 260 (bare tool), $420 with charger and 4.0 Amp-hour battery (Bailey's pricing);
- Saw and Guide Bar made in China. Chain made in USA;
- Warranty: Chainsaw and Charger - 3 years (2 years for commercial use), Battery packs - 2 years.

Oregon CS300 product homepage:
http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs300/

CS300 product data sheet:
http://oregoncordless.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/A110009aa_CordlessFB_CS300_LASER_010520151.pdf

CS250 product data sheet (for comparison):
http://oregoncordless.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/A110060_Cordless_CS250FB_vAE_WEB.pdf

Philbert

CS300 vs CS250 - Physical Comparison

While this chainsaw deserves to be judged on its own merits, it is fair to compare it to other battery powered chainsaws, especially, the earlier Oregon CS250 model, released about 4 years ago.

Key claims by Oregon include:
- 40% more power and 50% torque than the CS250;
- 19% increase in chain speed, from 2350 to 2796 feet per minute;
- longer, 16-inch bar, than the 14-inch bar on the CS250;
- brushless (more efficient) motor;
- tool-less chain tensioner.

The physical sizes of the saws are practically identical. The longer bar only adds an additional 1-1/4 inches of usable cutting length, along with some extra teeth.

photo 15.jpg

Weight is pretty close. I was expecting the longer bar and the tool-less chain tensioner gear to add some weight, but the CS300 is only 3/4 of a pound heavier with the bar, chain, and 4.0 Ah battery installed, according to my postal scale: CS300 = 13 pounds, CS250 = 12-1/4 pounds.

photo 8.jpg

photo 6.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 7.jpg

A different color scheme is immediately apparent. Cosmetics aside, both saws appear to share several parts, along with an obvious heritage. No IPL was provided to compare exact parts. The CS300 has a longer bar stud for the tool-less chain tensioner, but the bar mounting casting still has space for the conventional, front-access tensioning screw.

The CS300 adds a narrow, metal 'bucking dog' - probably protects this area of the case, and helps keep small logs from spinning. Both saws have a conventional chain brake, activated by a lever.

The CS300 emits a steady tone signal if the trigger is pressed and the chain brake is on - a nice feature to reduce embarrassing service calls. This alarm is also triggered if the motor is overheated, according the Instruction Manual - should be interesting.

Philbert

Target Market?

All of these higher-end, battery powered saws are trying to find their right niche. Are they consumer convenience items? Are they professional tools?

The CS300 product data sheet says:
"Whether you are a commercial landscaper, professional arborist, or a hardworking homeowner who simply demands the best, the OREGON® 40V MAX* Chain Saw is designed with all the battery muscle you need to get the job done."

But the Instruction Manual states:
"This chain saw is designed for occasional light duty use. It is not designed to fell large trees or cut large diameter logs. This chain saw is not designed for tree service."

Some of this likely has to do with testing and classification by standards authorities, such as CSA International, which only offer a 'professional' or 'consumer' classification for electric chainsaws. http://safemanitoba.com/sites/default/files/uploads/bulletins/standardcsa_chainsaws_z62_1_03.pdf

So, I guess that these descriptions, and commercial use referenced in the warranty, suggest that this saw is intended for high-end consumer ('pro-sumer'), or light commercial use. Not intended for all-day, everyday use.

Philbert

First Use - Into the Wood!

The CS300 has a noticeably softer start than the CS250; almost a slight delay when pressing the trigger. The motor also has a softer whine then the CS250. Both chains coast for a second or two when the trigger is released - no, instantaneous, electric brake.

photo 17.jpg
'Before'

The two saws feel, handle, and operate the same. But the difference in power is clear. Along with the test cookies, the CS300 cut 25 to 33% off of the time required in smaller to medium sized wood. In larger wood, it cut off almost 50% - this additional difference in bigger wood might be due to the increased torque, allowing the saw to maintain the faster chain speed?

photo 20.jpg
'After'!

The wood was 3 to 8 inch diameter birch and pine that has been seasoned for more than a year. Made lots of cookies!

photo 18.jpg

photo 19.jpg

Cut the same wood, on the same day, even used the same battery, side-by-side. But this may not have been a fair test. The CS300 had a brand new PowerSharp chain, while the CS250 had a used one. Although I had just sharpened it, the difference in performance is so big, that I will have to try it again using new chains on both saws, just to be fair (different length loops, so I can't use the same chain) - might temper the magnitude of difference between the first and second generation saws?

Philbert

First Use - Into the Wood!

The CS300 has a noticeably softer start than the CS250; almost a slight delay when pressing the trigger. The motor also has a softer whine then the CS250. Both chains coast for a second or two when the trigger is released - no, instantaneous, electric brake.

View attachment 450046
'Before'

The two saws feel, handle, and operate the same. But the difference in power is clear. Along with the test cookies, the CS300 cut 25 to 33% off of the time required in smaller to medium sized wood. In larger wood, it cut off almost 50% - this additional difference in bigger wood might be due to the increased torque, allowing the saw to maintain the faster chain speed?

View attachment 450047
'After'!

The wood was 3 to 8 inch diameter birch and pine that has been seasoned for more than a year. Made lots of cookies!

View attachment 450048

View attachment 450049

Cut the same wood, on the same day, even used the same battery, side-by-side. But this may not have been a fair test. The CS300 had a brand new PowerSharp chain, while the CS250 had a used one. Although I had just sharpened it, the difference in performance is so big, that I will have to try it again using new chains on both saws, just to be fair (different length loops, so I can't use the same chain) - might temper the magnitude of difference between the first and second generation saws?

Philbert

That's quite the increase there! Thanks for the review! With all the additional tools oregon has now, seems a pretty slick deal for the guy who has just one yard to maintain.

Philbert

smilie_verl_034.gif
smilie_verl_034.gif
smilie_verl_034.gif

Great to see a different review again! Thanks!

Hey, if you want to test fairer, use the same bar and chain on each saw now for test two. No need to buy new chains yet if you don't need them. I am guessing they are swappable back and forth to each other?

With that said, the serious competition now (again a guess) would be the 80 volt greenworks.

Hey, if you want to test fairer, use the same bar and chain on each saw now for test two.

That's a good idea Zog. But the CS300 has the tool-less chain tensioner thingy attached to the bar, and I would have to take that off and re-mount it each time. Would make it harder to go back-and-forth spontaneously between saws in the same wood samples.

photo 4.jpg

I have a spare chain and stone set (they get replaced as a pair) for the CS250 that I can use for the comparison, then put back in the box until I need them for real. I am sure that Oregon did the objective, quantitative testing - my excuse will be that I am testing the saws as people would likely buy them, with the different length bars and new chains.

Philbert

Chain Speed: 2796 feet/minute (equals 233 feet/ second, or 71 meters/second)

This is either a typo or factory specifications that are wrong or a wrong calculation from imperial to metric.
Most battery powered saw reach a top speed of 16 meters per second, the Husqy battery saw is 20 meters per second and most petrol saws drive their chain speed up to 26 meters per second.
71 meters per second on the Oregon? No way! But I could be wrong.

Wolter

This is either a typo or factory specifications that are wrong or a wrong calculation from imperial to metric.
You are correct that the math is wrong!

2796 feet per minute = 46.6 feet per second = 14.2 meters per second.

Might have been my error - wish I could go back and correct the earlier post (will ask a mod if they can clean it up).

Thanks for pointing this out.

Philbert

Here is the CS300 that Oregon had at the Boonville show.

This one I have a local city tree crew trying out along with the pole saw.
Also have this one setup on 91VXL vs the powersharp chain.

As the video shows, it CAN cut through larger stuff. But it is best suited (IMHO) to 6"-8" green wood, or 4"-6" dry wood.

Interested to hear what you find. I tried the CS250 with conventional 3/8 low profile, low-kicback chain (91PX and 91VG), and found the PowerSharp chain cut faster.
(http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/review-oregon-powernow-cordless-chainsaw.179262/page-3 Post #58)

Philbert

This one I have a local city tree crew trying out along with the pole saw.

What bar mount is that?

Took The CS300 to an Iowa GTG

photo 43.jpg
(ignore the generator - its there for something else!)

photo 51.jpg
Some guys like to push the limits!

photo 55.jpg
Check out the chips - a lot of guys are surprised how well the PowerSharp chain cuts!

photo 78.jpg
Cookies anyone?

photo 76.jpg
Fastest time in the cant for any battery-powered saw at the event!

Philbert

Took The CS300 to an Iowa GTG

View attachment 454507
(ignore the generator - its there for something else!)

View attachment 454508
Some guys like to push the limits!

View attachment 454509
Check out the chips - a lot of guys are surprised how well the PowerSharp chain cuts!

View attachment 454511
Cookies anyone?

View attachment 454510
Fastest time in the cant for any battery-powered saw at the event!

Philbert

Cool, looks like a good time! Anyone there impressed enough to want to get one?

Got mostly positive feedback. I don't sell them, so will only know if they post here!

As you know Zog, this is a product that you really have to try to understand. Then there are situations where it can be a really good fit. I always tell people that they also need to check out 'the family' of related tools that share the same batteries, since they are a big part of the purchase.

Philbert

Got a Chance to Push It a Bit . . .

Had a home assistance request, with some trees down in the yard. Seemed like a good task for the 40V saw, as it was residential neighborhood, and sounded like limited cutting. Some of the wood was small (4" diameter or smaller) and punky. Pretty easy.
photo 7.jpg

Some was a little bigger. This is larger wood than I would recommend for this saw, but I wanted to challenge it a little, and see how it would perform. The tree was pretty wet; maxed out at about 10" diameter. The bigger wood was taxing on the saw, but it handled it with a little patience, letting the saw do it's work. Not optimal, but it worked.
photo 9.jpg

Big chips with PowerSharp chain!
photo 11.jpg

Philbert

Back