Outboard Motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old Scott Atwater that was given to me by the wife of an older gentleman that I used to hunt with after he died. It's a 5 HP and too heavy for my 12' jon boat, but I'd still like to get it running.
Them Scott Hotwaters (McCulloch's) had a good power head but the lower unit shift dogs were wimpy. Tend to jump out/in gear due to not good idea on the shift dog and mating surfaces.
Be sure and get yourself a good life jacket for them 12ft boat usage. You will need it.
How do I know this.

If he swims alone, he doesn't see any obstacles. You will need a long tiller or extension. Of course, to take positions in the middle of the boat ;-)

Them Scott Hotwaters (McCulloch's) had a good power head but the lower unit shift dogs were wimpy. Tend to jump out/in gear due to not good idea on the shift dog and mating surfaces.
Be sure and get yourself a good life jacket for them 12ft boat usage. You will need it.
How do I know this.
I've had this boat out before and like it because it's light weight. Perfect for one person, but two can/have fished from it. Yes I have a life jacket and plan on wearing it when around other boaters. Sorry for your experience. In any open water I have to run, I'd be only a few feet away from the rip rap bank until I get into a cove. Then I'm around boat docks or submerged trees. Boat's just for Crappie daubing.

Beware of parts availability on any boat motor. We(by we I mean my shop guy working in my building) has found lots of parts NLA on motors that are only 15 years old. That leaves you with a very limited aftermarket to used parts only.

Here is a little bit of knowledge for you old outboard guys.ELTO outboard motors were invented by Ole Evinrude.He sold his outboard moror business and also the rights to using his name after a couple of years he got bored and built a new outboard of aluminium he went to the owners of his old company and offered it to them but they wanted no part of it.Ole set up shop and started selling his Elto motors Elto stands for Evinrude light tolling outboard motor.The Eltos sold like hot cakes clearly a much better outboard than the Evinrude companies offerings.
In later years Ole bought his company back and they were selling 3 lines of motors Evinrudes Eltos and Lockwood as they had bought out Lockwood Ash a very strong competitor.
Kash

Here is a little bit of knowledge for you old outboard guys.ELTO outboard motors were invented by Ole Evinrude.He sold his outboard moror business and also the rights to using his name after a couple of years he got bored and built a new outboard of aluminium he went to the owners of his old company and offered it to them but they wanted no part of it.Ole set up shop and started selling his Elto motors Elto stands for Evinrude light tolling outboard motor.The Eltos sold like hot cakes clearly a much better outboard than the Evinrude companies offerings.
In later years Ole bought his company back and they were selling 3 lines of motors Evinrudes Eltos and Lockwood as they had bought out Lockwood Ash a very strong competitor.
Kash
I like you have been wrenching on outboard engines since the 50`s. We had an Elto 1.5 around 1950 and used it in freshwater for 20 years or so but by 1958 dad had two Viking motors, a 3 hp and a 15 hp sold by catalogue from Eatons here in NS. I broke the tiller handle on the three hp and was tasked at removing it and taking it to be welded. One of my first mechanical adventures as I was only 7 but one needed to start somewhere. We live on the salt water so it wasn`t long before we were running outboards in the salt, wrenching gets ratcheted up a good bit when working on salt water marine engines....LOL

Those Vikings were manufactured in Peterborough Ontario by the Gale division of OMC.The Eltos were not made in the Usa after about 1940 but they were made in Canada by Gale up till the Mid Fifties.I am located in the center of Canada so no salt water .
Thank God
We have followed similar paths in life in a lot of ways Jerry.
John

Those Vikings were manufactured in Peterborough Ontario by the Gale division of OMC.The Eltos were not made in the Usa after about 1940 but they were made in Canada by Gale up till the Mid Fifties.I am located in the center of Canada so no salt water .
Thank God
We have followed similar paths in life in a lot of ways Jerry.
John
Those Vikings and Gales were very popular outboards down here as they could be ordered through the mail actually, there were no dealers local so it was convenient to just order them from outlets like Eatons or Simpsons and they would arrive by freight truck. One actually came out on the train in 1958. In the spring after ice out we spent a good deal of time on the freshwater lakes until freeze up but we actually lived full time on the Atlantic coast so saltwater was always there. We had a diesel inboard 28' Cape Island boat for most of our saltwater travel but the smaller 16' boats with outboard seen plenty of duty also. I learned early that steel bolts in aluminum housings became an enemy for removal. When I bought my first new outboard, a Evinrude 6 hp I pulled each bolt one at a time and applied Neversieze to each, every motor since gets the same treatment and can still easily be dissembled 40 -50 years later down the road.

I never sieze every nut or bolt I put in anything.Its rather ironic but for the first 6 years my parents built the resort they and the tourists had to come on the train for twenty miles.My dad said it was not a big deal because your 45 gallon drums of gas were put on the train for you by the supplier if you wanted an outboard fixed you put it on the train and sent the shop a text oops a telegram,You could order all your groceries or what ever you wanted and if you were a good customer no charge to deliver to the train station.Imagine you could arrange and book a trip around the world right there in the station located in Bum ...nowhere all by morse code.
We had 23 wooden dory boats with flat backs for the outboards made by Chestnut canoe in Fredricton New Brunswick.Those boats were a pleasure to fish out of and also to row we rowed to school in them.The boats were heavy maintanance my poor mother would be hard at it every spring sanding scraping and puttying the seams Dad did the painting as he was a perfectionist.I puttyed alot but was some happy when Dad went to aluminium boats.
Those Viking motors Eatons sold were a great deal you got a Johnson in Eatons colours for way less money.They stopped production of motors for stores in 1963 .West Bend took over as box store supplier but Chrysler bought West Bend later.
Jerry was your 6hp OMC if so it was argueably one of the best they ever produced except for the screwy recoil.The Omc 6 started out life in 1954 as the 5.5 Johnson Evinrude,A tip for any one with 5,5 or 7,5 JnyRude these had sleeve bearings make sure you mix at 1/2 pint to the gallon or they will throw a rod.The 1963 5.5 and all the 6s have full bearings so 50 to one is ok.
Dammit I hope I didnt start another oil thread.
Kash

Here's what I got from the ad. Not sure what the numbers mean (Model, Year, etc.). Model 2SK?
The Seller says it has good compression. What number is considered good for an Outboard motor?

2HP Yamaha2.JPG

I never sieze every nut or bolt I put in anything.Its rather ironic but for the first 6 years my parents built the resort they and the tourists had to come on the train for twenty miles.My dad said it was not a big deal because your 45 gallon drums of gas were put on the train for you by the supplier if you wanted an outboard fixed you put it on the train and sent the shop a text oops a telegram,You could order all your groceries or what ever you wanted and if you were a good customer no charge to deliver to the train station.Imagine you could arrange and book a trip around the world right there in the station located in Bum ...nowhere all by morse code.
We had 23 wooden dory boats with flat backs for the outboards made by Chestnut canoe in Fredricton New Brunswick.Those boats were a pleasure to fish out of and also to row we rowed to school in them.The boats were heavy maintanance my poor mother would be hard at it every spring sanding scraping and puttying the seams Dad did the painting as he was a perfectionist.I puttyed alot but was some happy when Dad went to aluminium boats.
Those Viking motors Eatons sold were a great deal you got a Johnson in Eatons colours for way less money.They stopped production of motors for stores in 1963 .West Bend took over as box store supplier but Chrysler bought West Bend later.
Jerry was your 6hp OMC if so it was argueably one of the best they ever produced except for the screwy recoil.The Omc 6 started out life in 1954 as the 5.5 Johnson Evinrude,A tip for any one with 5,5 or 7,5 JnyRude these had sleeve bearings make sure you mix at 1/2 pint to the gallon or they will throw a rod.The 1963 5.5 and all the 6s have full bearings so 50 to one is ok.
Dammit I hope I didnt start another oil thread.
Kash
Yes, my 6hp is a Evinrude OMC, its so tough that its still used yearly. Untold hours upon hours of use trolling and pushing 16' wooden boats around the lakes, I think it is a 66 model but would need to check the plate for certain. A big yes on mixing 1/2 pint of oil to the gallon for the old sleeve bearing engines but I must say the 4 strokes are a good step up for less pollution and longevity. My old 45 Commercial suffered a rod bearing failure a few years back from condensation attaching the crank itself.

I'm guessing from the Serial #, it's a 1985 motor. It hasn't been running for several years so with out knowing if it runs, what would you think it's worth? $200, $300? I've got a knack for over paying for used items.

I'm not a fairy ;-) repair can be cheap or expensive or even unprofitable.
The question is whether you want to repair it yourself or give it back for repair

Back