Outboard Motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I know this is the wrong forum for boat motors, but there's a lot of talented, knowledgeable people here, I thought I'd ask. Anyone work on small HP boat motors?

I'm thinking of buying a used Yamaha 2 HP boat motor that hasn't been run for a couple of years. First thing needed is a water pump and possibly carb kit. . Any ideas on where to source it once I get a model number? Damn OMAD? (Outboard motor Acquisition Disease).

First find "http://marineengine.com/" along with the serial number of your motor. They sell parts and the parts prices are reasonable. BUT once you find the part number, ebay is yet another source as well. ALL those parts should be available. Also the Yamaha's were rebranded as Mariner and others as well. Especially with the small sub 6hp class motors, there really is a few actual manufacturers rebranded to the rest. Tohatsu, Yamaha, Mercury, Mariner, even some of the Evinrudes are really the same motors...so parts are available.

I would think about doing the opposite.
Get the Model and serial number and then see (by doing a computer search) if parts are available and price of parts.

Helps reduce the chance of getting some experience.
Which is: not getting what ya thought you were buying.
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. Find out what the general refurbishing parts are going to cost and then buy the motor.

Do the opposite? So try to find your motor specs working from the parts? In my post I suggested start with motor serial number, on some the model number is dealt with as a reference; then find the needed part numbers using marineengine or similar site as a reference. ALL mariner/Mercury even OMC motors the serial number is the starting point. Some of the relabeled Yamaha's/Tohatsu's can be tracked with the model number. Interesting is Yamaha makes it hard so u can go to the Mariner site and find it, then track from there. Then once the part numbers for your motor and needed parts are found, Then search. The problem with doing the opposite is part numbers are often used by multiple motors so starting from the parts first....I guess to each his own. Been doing this for 40 years with out boards. :) Guess even a old dog can learn...I would LOVE to see the inverse of what I proposed actually, would be a cool reality where's waldo show.

I would think about doing the opposite.
Get the Model and serial number and then see (by doing a computer search) if parts are available and price of parts.

Helps reduce the chance of getting some experience.
Which is: not getting what ya thought you were buying.
Its been my experience that you can find any part for any outboard made going back to the 1930's for a very affordable price. Your milage may vary. I'm currently working on restoring an old 2 cylinder Johnson from 1938 that I found a guy that has a complete powerhead including the attached fuel tank for $80 US. Its a bolt on replacement for my unit. Doug Penn's antique outboards

What model Johnson Grizz I have been into old OMC outboards since I was a little kid .I grew up in a remote fishing resort and fixed all the outboards since I was twelve so I have 53 years of experience.I have my fathers 1923 Evinrude Sportwin N 2.5 hp and the bill of sale when he and my uncle Charlie bought it used in Racine Wisconsin in 1930 for 30.00 dollars.I also have the border decleration when he imported it to Canada in 1947.
Kash

I have such a Yamaha 2.5 engine and I just found out last season that the fuel does not reach the spark plug. He is 5-10 years old. He always lit from 1 string. I didn't take the oars then so I had to go home

What model Johnson Grizz I have been into old OMC outboards since I was a little kid .I grew up in a remote fishing resort and fixed all the outboards since I was twelve so I have 53 years of experience.I have my fathers 1923 Evinrude Sportwin N 2.5 hp and the bill of sale when he and my uncle Charlie bought it used in Racine Wisconsin in 1930 for 30.00 dollars.I also have the border decleration when he imported it to Canada in 1947.
Kash
Lt 38, it was a gift from a friend.. I've already done a1937 Elto pal 1.1 hp that belonged to my brother.
Kash
Its an LT38, a gift from a friend. Did an Elton pal 1.1 hp a few yrs backIMG_20210503_234921.jpg

Its been my experience that you can find any part for any outboard made going back to the 1930's for a very affordable price. Your milage may vary. I'm currently working on restoring an old 2 cylinder Johnson from 1938 that I found a guy that has a complete powerhead including the attached fuel tank for $80 US. Its a bolt on replacement for my unit. Doug Penn's antique outboards
I have an old Scott Atwater that was given to me by the wife of an older gentleman that I used to hunt with after he died. It's a 5 HP and too heavy for my 12' jon boat, but I'd still like to get it running.

I know this is the wrong forum for boat motors, but there's a lot of talented, knowledgeable people here, I thought I'd ask. Anyone work on small HP boat motors?

I'm thinking of buying a used Yamaha 2 HP boat motor that hasn't been run for a couple of years. First thing needed is a water pump and possibly carb kit. . Any ideas on where to source it once I get a model number? Damn OMAD? (Outboard motor Acquisition Disease).

I think a lot of those small yamaha 2 strokes were built by Tohatsu

I think a lot of those small yamaha 2 strokes were built by Tohatsu
I haven't looked into it lately. Might be gone. But my questions still apply to any used motor I buy.
His ad said it was a 100:1 mix. Seems kind of strange for an outboard motor. (Bad memory, might be from another I'm looking at). I don't want to get one of those loud, tinny one they sell on ebay. That's why I was looking for a name brand outboard.

I've been slowed down by the State. I need to re-register the jon boat I just painted and their online registration has been screwed up. Suppose to be fixed by early April (this year?). I don't have a printer, so I didn't want to go through the paper route.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to launch my boat out of my PU bed without scratching it up since I painted it. I'm working on a bicycle cart that I could roll it to the bank and then slide it off into the water. They charge $5 a boat to use the boat ramp here and besides they are too steep. I want to be able to pull up to a cove and put in where I want to fish. Being only a 12' boat, I wanted to stay away from open water as much as possible. So I'll be using a trolling motor only at first and then aquire a 2-3 HP outboard later if I find a good one.

Here's an idea for launching. Add some casters to make it roll easier.
Yes I thought about something similar to get it out of the truck. Since the boat is light, I take Two 2x8x14' (I have one) spaced but tied together. Then I need something to get the boat to the water. Or I could drop the front end of my sled and just drag the boat and all to the water. Many options.

Back