Pacific NW get together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I'm in at the Super 8 in The Dalles. $69.99. Almost got sucked into the Cousin's something but I think it might be on the east end of town right next to the freeway. I have stayed in the Best Western downtown and it is all right. Oh Boy! The Dalles has a Fred Meyer! Not to worry about chains. I rock, dirt, and asphalt mine daily. The Barbie saw will come along. Twinkle won't be able to come cuz Twinkle doesn't belong to me. I am merely Twinkle's caretaker. :cheers:

Yep, I'll either do that or come empty handed and just burn up everyone else's gas and rock out their chains just to make a good impression. :greenchainsaw:

Ian

Any door prizes for traveling the farthest? :hmm3grin2orange:

Bullcr@p!!!!!!! we wanna see that EHP in action just ship PHO ahead itll cost a about 20. each way,,,,,

I found round tripfare from IAH to PDX fpr 318.00

OK. I'm in at the Super 8 in The Dalles. $69.99. Oh Boy! The Dalles has a Fred Meyer! Not to worry about chains. I rock, dirt, and asphalt mine daily. The Barbie saw will come along. Twinkle won't be able to come cuz Twinkle doesn't belong to me. I am merely Twinkle's caretaker. :cheers:

slowp what is a Fred Meyer?????? what city is near the Dalles???

Last edited:
This sounds like its shaping up. By the way anyones invited. I figure I won't have to cut firewood for the next 10years after this. LOL

Bullcr@p!!!!!!! we wanna see that EHP in action just ship PHO ahead itll cost a about 20. each way,,,,,

I found round tripfare from IAH to PDX fpr 318.00

slowp what is a Fred Meyer?????? what city is near the Dalles???

The Dalles is what, about 60? miles east of Portland. The Dalles is where the dry part of the PNW starts. You'll see scrubby pine and scabland there. Just get on I-84 and head east. It is the next town after Hood River. My dad built the dam at The Dalles. It is also a pretty historical place. Celilo Falls, which is now under water from the dam, was where the tribes netted salmon as the salmon jumped to get over the falls. The Dalles was where the pioneers on the Oregon trail switched to floating on the river to Portland after avoiding Celilo Falls. They had to get off it one more time down at Cascade Locks, until the locks were built.

Enough historical stuff. Fred Meyer is just a Northwest based store except it sold out to a national chain. I like some of their brands and it is a major drive to get to a store from the tiny place I live in. They were a superstore way before Walmart and carry a better quality of stuff. And the best thing is, they have a Starbucks and have shopping carts with CUPHOLDERS. I'm easily impressed by such things. :givebeer:

+1 for us too!:clap: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy:
Unless you are gonna charge for camping spot.:hmm3grin2orange:

If he charges you for camping out we could always barbecue his goat. That way you won't be sharing the camping spot with it. I'll bring my wife's recipe for cabrito.

man id love to just get drive around and see all those trees and mountains..i love being outdoors..especially when its not 90+ degrees outside and 100% humidity......

Sucks.. full of cheap stuff, starving students and yuppies..

Well, so much for that idea. Just trying to plan a few things in case we get rained out. I'm not much on big cities, anyway. I lived in Klickitat County, dry side, about thirty years ago and I'm definitely not interested in seeing that again. :)

What's the IKEA store like? In case we rained out.

Rained out???... I'll bring my scuba gear :) You kinda get used to the rain

I don't own a raincoat. When it rains, we east coast folk go indoors, at least I do anyway. I read something about a "Portland mist" where it takes 4 days to rain 2". We get that in 4 hours if it decided to thunderstorm.

I also don't know how my saw would react to water. It's never seen any. It grumbles if I set it down in damp grass to refuel it. :)

The Ikeas in Germany were furniture stores. IIRC, it's Walmart quality stuff that comes in boxes that you have to assemble.

Ian

Last edited:
Well, it is a heck of an early morning. My old dog woke me up. She was having a seizure, and now she won't settle down. So, I'm on this while she paces back and forth...

IKEA is full of Yuppies and alternative lifestyle couples, but I found a cheap, but feels good on the back, chair there. I've even got extra parts left over after I put it together. Not to worry, an OREGON logger told me that everything comes with extra parts so you always have parts left over. Yarders, airplanes, cars, everything. The store is in plain sight of the 205 freeway but I found on my first journey there, it is not so easy to drive to. Kind of a roundabout way has to be taken. There are maps at the start of the store and I got one and headed right to the chair. Otherwise you are wandering in a vortex of Swedish labels. Their cinnamon rolls sure smell good though. I think there's a humongus garbage dump somewhere around Arlington that could be visited. That's where most of the PNW garbage goes. My dad took us to a wheatfield nearby where he pointed out original wagon ruts from the Oregon Trail. But that was during the 60s and they've probably had to subsoil and waterbar the ruts since. My dad was from the west part of the gorge so knew all this stuff about the history. There's also the Maryhill Museum up the road and you can visit the Stonhenge Replica where people gather for Harmonica Virgins and sometimes modern druids meet there for eclipses and equinoxes.

The old girl has settled down finally.

The Maryhill Museum was really boring to go to when I was a kid. Full of boring old art. I don't remember much except the story behind the building is bizarre. Sam Hill the railroad guy built a mansion way out in the middle of nowhere for the Queen of Hmmmmm. Romania? Like as if some Queen would settle down there! Except now it is getting surrounded by vinyards and the land is worth a lot of money because of this. You can go to some wineries in that area now.

There's also the Troutdale shopping tractor beam. I haven't been there but it sure sucks a lot of cars in. Outlet stores and no sales tax.

On the Oregon west side of the gorge, you can go look at the original locks at Cascade locks. I did this when my Subaru broke down there a few years ago.
Yup, the locks look old. Got home and there was a recall notice for the Subaru about alternators, and that was the part that gave out at Cascade Locks. In this same area you can drive the old highway that the famous landscape guy designed. You can learn the story of the Bridge of the Gods and drive over it, it still had a toll on it when the Subaru broke down. I don't know whether the Hood River Bridge still has a toll or not.

Well, the old dog has gone to sleep so maybe I can too. Good night or good morning.

Last edited:
Hang in there slowp, hope yer dog gets to feeling better,,,,,

R U Bringing her to the GTG?????? She could hang out with Books huskies!!!!!!:cheers:

Lots of good info in your post I tried to rep ya but no go!!!! Id like to see them wagon ruts!!!!!

Last edited:
Things you can go do.

1 The blossom should still be out on the pear and apple trees in upper parkdale. That is a pretty site

2 You can go up to timberline lodge and see were they filmed the shinning.

3 If your a skier Mt Hood meadow is a hop skip and a jump away.

4 The Dalles Historic museum gets you a pretty good overview of the gorge.

5 Im think parkdale still has the bigfoot museum.

6 You could ride the Mt Hood Railroad dinner train.

7 You could do some boardheading on the river if the wind is blowing

8 Some of the best rivers to kayak on

9 Salmon should be running in the hood and white salmon rivers

10 One of the best places to snowmobile up near Mt Adams with tons of snowmobile trail.

11 Sit around my place and drink beer and swap lies.

There are tons more things to do around here will list more when I think about it.

Latest posts

Back