Pick my bar and chain for Jonsered 2253 firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erik m.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I ordered up a
Jonsered 2253. ( like a 550xp) I started to research bar and chain options. I don't want to labor over the choice, anyone want to make it for me? I will use this saw for a few cords of firewood per year. Mostly oaks and locust. Some hickory.

Previous saw was a Stihl 028 super with an 18" bar. Since it had .63 chain I do not think I will be able to use my loops on this saw, so I am starting from scratch.

I am just looking for a "good enough" option for a bar and a couple of chains for a good price.

Anyone got any quick options to point me toward?

Any deals out there?
Thanks.

Not long ago bailey's had deals for their brand bar and chain combo. I'd likely run a 18" 3/8 .050 full chisel setup if it's your only saw. If you have other saws list the setups and we can guide you to fit this one in between them. Most importantly go cut woos and enjoy it.

I run a Total Super bar 16" .063 gauge with Carolton full chisel AKA Baileys. I like Total bars thats what I use on my 365XT also

That would be a sweet set up. I was figuring he wanted a cheap easy to get anywhere setup. 3/8 .050 is so common he can get it anywhere since a couple cord a year he won't be a avid user of chain.

If you have other saws list the setups and we can guide you to fit this one in between them. Most importantly go cut woos and enjoy it.

This is my only saw. When I cut wood it is with my best friend who has all Stihl - a MS 192, 200t, 260, o44 Magnum, and 660. he also has a really big saw at his shed, and some older ones, but those are the ones we use.

I actually do not know what chain he runs. He inherited the saws from his dad who died recently. His dad had a small tree farm/ wood lot that I worked for in high school and college. I used to run chainsaws all the time, but since I wasn't buying I am enbarrased to say I never paid any attention to such things as chain/ bar setup. I just pulled the triggers.

EDIT: Incidentally - I don't think my friend knows what he runs either, his dad was very organized and had a spot next to each saw for the extra chains, sharpening files, filters, spark plugs. Etc. for now we just grab the chains from there.

Clean wood? Dirty wood? Green? Dead? Carlton chain is junk IMO.

Total Super bars are nice but for a few cords a year its wasting money. The bar that comes on it will do everything you need and you'll likely never wear it out and it probably has a .325 bar (possibly a Jonsered branded Total bar) with Oregon LPX chain.

Chisel chain dulls faster than semi chisel in dirty or dead wood.

I'd go with 3/8 but thats just my preference. Semi chisel chain will be best like Don said. Orgeon BPX or Stihl RM/RM3

Dead Locust is like concrete.

You are right about the dead locust.

Looks like I can easily pick up a 18" narrow kerf Husqvarna bar. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-bars/hln-250/531300436/
And 95VPX 72 chain. Would that be good enough for my purposes?

A search here indicates people have mix feelings about the narrow kerf. I really want to just cut some wood when my saw comes on Thursday, not spend hours researching chain/ bar options.

I'll see if the 18" .325 .058 option is available.

Thanks for making that easy, fellows.

I have an 18" bar with .325 .58 semi chisel on its way.

I cheaped out and went with an Oregon Pro-lite bar. It will get me started anyway.

Kenjax don't hate on the Carlton chain got it cheap from Baileys when it was on sale with free shipping. Stihl chain seems to wear the best but never any bargains

I picked up a bunch of loops of Carlton chain this past year, all chisel and have been happy with the performance in clean wood. All I cut was green standing wood and was very happy with Carlton chains.

My 2 cents

I have gotten a couple of real good prices on GB bar and chain combos from site sponsor Left Coast Supplies. They have a special on 18" GB .325" x .050" for that saw.

18″ GB Arbor Pro Bar – GBF UHL18-50MH – K095 Mount – .325″ .050″ (#GBF UHL18-50MH)

Thanks for making that easy, fellows.

I have an 18" bar with .325 .58 semi chisel on its way.

I cheaped out and went with an Oregon Pro-lite bar. It will get me started anyway.
Those are not a bad bar. I've run a few of them over the years and got good service out of em.

I'd go with 3/8 but thats just my preference. Semi chisel chain will be best like Don said. Oregon BPX or Stihl RM/RM3

Dead Locust is like concrete.

DPX if 3/8", BPX is .325 only.

Personally, I would put a laminated 16" .325 .058 as the main bar on such a light saw. Anything else would be for special purposes.

Back