Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A P62 might be a bit overkill but they sure put a smile on my face every time I fire one of mine up. For the cutting experience of a lifetime with the P series saws its hard to beat a ported BP655 with a modded intake and muffler.

My P65 is really something to run, a very impressive saw, for sure.

Chris

View attachment 189338
Showing my age and/ or ignorance here, but what is a BP655? Kinda like a P-62?

The BP 655 was the last of that type of saw built by Poulan after their takeover of Pioneer. The 655 was basically made from leftover Pioneer P series parts but the Cylinder had an extra boost port added that gets a little extra fuel/air mix to the top of the piston giving the engine a little extra boost of power. Add a good port job to that setup and you have a very powerful animal in your posession.

View attachment 189338

Last edited:
Thanks, pioneerguy600. Kinda wish I had a 655 now, although my P-42 is adequate for what I need now. It's WAY de-tuned from how it used to be, because I got tired of tearing the bearings out of it.

I'm hoping I can get my favorite saw going again this way. (Yup, the ignition died again.) I had a lot of different saws when I used to cut timber for a living, but I like the old Pioneer better than any of the others.

I believe that my P-51 bottom end is the same as a P-60. Can someone tell me for sure?

If I can find a new P-52 jug, I'd also like to find a new piston - or at least rings.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hello i but a P60 piston and cylinder on a P51 and it worked great

Farmsaw question

I have a farmsaw with an 18" bar and got a chain with 68 links The adjuster won't tighten enough. What can I do. I asked this question some time ago but can't find my post. Is there a way to search for old posts by author?

My 18" pioneer bar (475344 & 18-058-3-8) requires 66 drive links. If your numbers are the same remove 2 drive links.
Lou
I am going to ask question I think I know the answer to... the gauge is 058?
TIA
Lou

My 18" pioneer bar (475344 & 18-058-3-8) requires 66 drive links. If your numbers are the same remove 2 drive links.
Lou
I am going to ask question I think I know the answer to... the gauge is 058?
TIA
Lou

Thanks for that Lou. Gauge is .058

Thanks

@ rut I did an advanced searched of this thread for posts by you. The only one found is the one 2 posts up.
Lou

Thats what I found but it says 22 posts under my icon. What gives?

Forum Newbie needs advice...

Hello All!
I am new to these forums and have been told this is the place to go for advice and help with older saws. I recently acquired a p-20 saw which belonged to my departed Father who nicknamed it "Firebird" It was the first saw he ever bought new for cutting firewood. The saw has been sitting idle for close to 20 years and has a "history" before that(it has caught fire,had trees fall on it,been used as an accidental wheel chock,etc..been really beat!). When I got it home I rinsed the fueltank with straight gas,put in fresh mix and low and behold it fired up!!!. I cleaned it up and blew the cobwebs and sawdust out of it, touched up the chain,replace the fuel filter and hose(I believe the cause of early fires), and ran the heck out of it this past weekend. I was truly impressed with it's power and lightness(not to mention the fact that it still ran and didn't catch fire)

My concerns are:

1. Poor idle after it warms up. I can't seem to dial it in to keep it idling. This has always been an issue for this saw if memory serves me,even when my dad had it.

2. Lack of a hi-speed mixture adjustment. It has a tillotson hu-15a carb. Did these carbs not have a hi-speed needle?

3. After running it through 2 tanks of fuel it seems to run hot and the fuel in the tank pressurizes and appears to be bubbling(most likely not a good thing) I did not see a tank vent or one in the cap.

4. It does use bar oil but slowly. I fill the oil every 3rd fuel fillup. I ran it at part throttle without the bar and did observe the oil coming out of the supply port. My brothers Echo will use a tank of oil for every tank of fuel. Just curious if this seems normal?

Does anyone have a copy of the service manual for it?

I have tried a search on this site for some of the issues but my forum search skills are less than stellar.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Mark A.

PS I'll try to post a pic of the saw as soon as I can. I hope it doesn't scare anyone.

S620 carb trouble

I was about to do some log cuts today but couldn't start my s620. After adjusting the h and l screws and cleaning the plug I took the carb apart to clean it up only to find the welch plug rattling around loose! I fixed it back in but now the saw doesn't like idle and won't run on full throttle except with the choke 1/4 on? Anyone have any tips apart trying to re-set the screws again? I tried for 45 mins with no improvement.
Help me pioneer gurus!
Nic.

The 620 uses a Tillotson HL -129A , they are still easy to find carb kits for them and they benifit greatly from having the carb cleaned really well and a new kit installed. Seal around the edges of the Welsh plugs with fingernail polish to make them airtight. The H needle is set at 1 turn open and the L needle is set at 3/4 turn open. It is very common for these saws to have air leaks around the fuel bowl gasket or the line from the bowl to the carb.

Mmm... I think after re-sealing the welsh plug and cleaning the carb, I think the problem may have been the split in the bowl to carb tube! Only 1/4" long! I've repaired it with PTFE tape until I can get some more pipe. All the original pipes and gaskets are on their last legs!
S620 up and running again!

Pioneer P60 post hole auger

I tried the auger on my P60, I had to make a bunch of bushings to get everything fit properly. It ran great, but then started heating up my clutch real bad when I tried to auger a hole. Do you think I'm doing something wrong or is running an auger just going to burn my clutch up? Running this thing was like rideing a motorcyle at 100+ miles an hour on a gravel road. It's useing a 1/2" rim and chain to run the auger, does it matter which way the rim goes?
Thanks Kevin

P51 fuel problems

I dug my old P51 out over the weekend and put a new fuel line and filter on it.It fired up and ran good the rest of the day.Tonite it would only run on a prime and I noticed that the fuel wasn't being pulled through the line.Does that sound like a bad diaphram to you? Dan

Back