Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walbro WJ carb

Update on my PP405(P42). Blocked off governor and saw runs great at wot. Problem now is idle won't come down enough for chain to stop. Idle screw is at its minimum limits. Wonder if the accelerator pump could be the cause. I have no idea what its purpose is, so I'm guessing this might be the cause. There are no air leaks as I've done a pressure and vacuum test, thus I've ruled that out as a possible reason. Don't believe its the clutch as the rpm's at idle are way too high. Would apprecite any suggestions from you Pioneer/Partner guys, esp. as to the purpose of the accelerator pump.
Bob

lou thanks for the reply. think if I cant find parts , maybe use starter and flywheel from differnt saw. saw pics of some polan and pioneer that seem to have the same case but the insides are differnt. sprial gear is ok. the screw that came loose was in the center of the stater. wire for the comp release got in to things so tosed it and plugged the com release. starter still works but the ends of the teeth on black dog,pawl? whatever, are getin short.

If your Farmsaw has good compression you need to have the decomp working to prevent the "engager" from stripping out. The starter on the Farmsaw is their weak link, they are not strong enough to turn over an engine in good shape if the decomp has been disabled. The center post has been known to break off, the spiral threads can be stripped off the pully assembly and the teeth on the engager can also be stripped off all because the engine has too much compression for these soft parts to stand up to.

lou thanks for the reply. think if I cant find parts , maybe use starter and flywheel from differnt saw. saw pics of some polan and pioneer that seem to have the same case but the insides are differnt. sprial gear is ok. the screw that came loose was in the center of the stater. wire for the comp release got in to things so tosed it and plugged the com release. starter still works but the ends of the teeth on black dog,pawl? whatever, are getin short.

I'm sorry, I missed your reply until Jerry highlighted it. The starter pinion is pn (507 is Poulan prefix added when they aquired Pioneer) 507429892. They are available. A search for Poulan Weedeater (generic fits all category created as they gobbled up other lines) and that pn will find many at a reasonable price (IE Norwalk $3.14 plus shipping).
Lou

The compression release spring is pn 507432130. If you can find one nowhere else, are willing to pay the postage and a couple of bucks, I've a genuine, brand new, OrderTree one I will send.
Lou
Both parts are available at OrderTree
Starter Pinion $3.22
Decomp. Lever $2.36

@ rich dusenbury ;
The Friction Yoke (507429572 - spring clipped to the starter pinion) is NLA at OrderTree. I think given a little piano wire and a torch, you can fabricate one pretty easily. While you have your saw in pieces and an intact model would be good time to do it IMO.
Lou

farmsaw stater

found parts on slezbay.thanks for the info. the comp valve is done. the valve went past the seat and the washer came off and started the process of distroying the comp spring and some how got the starter screw loose and now the comp is down, but still runs. so now im looking for piston and rings and new comp valve. starts easy, runs ok but the comp is not what it use to be . put a plug in comp hole. thanks to pioneerman and lou. will try order tree.

farmsaw

Lou got all the parts coming from jacks. will be great to get old saw going again as we have a history. so who am I? born weed 1938 started log
ging 1958 quit 1964 after big blow down in oregon. got a linemans ticket and worked high line cons. worked storm jobs in winter used saws a lot. company furnished saws and didnt work on them. retired 2001 cut wood for my house about 5 cord per year.last year got involved with nonprofit outfit, cuttin wood for poor folks. so this fall cut 14 cord I just fall and buck have acrew to pack and load. dead lodge pole. so now im into keepin saws running. now I have a 036 that I rebuilt, new ms290,020,and ams180 that is junk. only cut up to 24". except for farmsaw all were given to me to cut for outfit. have a pile of sharping stuff. still file by hand. learned from cutter to study a new tooth when filing. any how sure thank you. for you help. will part out the ms180,let me know if you need some. rich.

Update on my PP405(P42). Blocked off governor and saw runs great at wot. Problem now is idle won't come down enough for chain to stop. Idle screw is at its minimum limits. Wonder if the accelerator pump could be the cause. I have no idea what its purpose is, so I'm guessing this might be the cause. There are no air leaks as I've done a pressure and vacuum test, thus I've ruled that out as a possible reason. Don't believe its the clutch as the rpm's at idle are way too high. Would apprecite any suggestions from you Pioneer/Partner guys, esp. as to the purpose of the accelerator pump.
Bob

Someone must have some info! Where are all the Pioneer gurus?

P51 Overhaul

Finally done. Tore it down to replace a snapped off crank on the clutch side, bearings, seals, gaskets, and rings. Making a post in the chainsaw forums with more pics and a vid or 2 of the initial startup. Hope you enjoy :msp_biggrin:

img_0234.jpg

img_0259.jpg

img_0279.jpg

img_0280.jpg

Back off, vultures! :D

I'm meeting the guy on Saturday. These are in Virginia, though. If there is another set of them available in Georgia, you guys are welcome to those. :cheers:

2012-01-14_13-41-45_800.jpg

2012-01-14_13-42-03_237.jpg

2012-01-14_13-40-44_686.jpg

The previous owner was using these on an Alaskan mill, with a 36" bar. Don't worry, he still hasa "big stihl" to use on the mill. It's an 029. :D

Both look to be in great shape. One looks like he ran it without the airfilter, though. Airfilter was missing, sawdust in the intake, 100psi. :( Hopefully rings will take care of that.

The other one is at 145psi.

Last edited:
Back