Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if a points flywheel would fire an electronic ignition?
Once I get the p28 might have to experiment a bit haha.
Those China coils open up possibilities eh!
Cheers

I wonder if a points flywheel would fire an electronic ignition?
Once I get the p28 might have to experiment a bit haha.
Those China coils open up possibilities eh!
Cheers

You would have to be careful with timing. A chip would definitely fire a points flywheel.

I tried that coil a Homelite XL-76 and the Pioneer Farm Saw. It worked well on both of them.

Great fix, thanks for sharing.

Is this the video?

tis so. thanks for postin.

Rocket, have you checked the timing? Curious what that ends up on your saw with that coil.
Nice fix for sure.

did not check timing. it sits pretty much where the old one did & feels as healthy or better. I had baked the blue coil twice, to have it last matter of weeks. that's a 20" bar in 22" of df. sound not that great cause rain/camera in shop 40' away.

Timing of the OEM Husky coil was pretty close on the XL-76. Core leg (trailing) was within a couple of degrees of the OEM Prestolite. I timed from scratch and used a wheel. In the end, I may have been a 2-3 degrees advanced in relation to the original key position by my choice. A tad over 30 BTDC.

I would reason the import coils ought to be the same. Mind you, I only timed up to about 1000 rpm using a drill. I don't think those coils have a retard/advance though. Could be wrong, but the saw throttles briskly and feels right.

Timing depends on the circuitry of the coils so the actual spark may occur different vs physical mounting legs. A light tells all. I like the drill idear and will use that with the flywheel unkeyed to confirm the offset. Cheers

Yep, I used a light. Compared a working blue Prestolite to the Husky and noted the trailing legs were very close in location when mounted (on the Homelite). The way they run is comparable. This was an attempt at both a qualitative and quantitative observation so as to see if one could just plug and play without having to re-time on the Homelites.

I finally got around to checking back on this P41 I had went through. I thought I had a ign problem and I was right. It wasn't what I expected though. Seems after I changed the crank seals, when I went to put the flywheel back on the key must have fell out unnoticed.

That explained that, user error.. LOL

It now runs great, runs the 24" bar buried in oak without any drama.

IMAG0430 (Custom).jpg

I finally got around to checking back on this P41 I had went through. I thought I had a ign problem and I was right. It wasn't what I expected though. Seems after I changed the crank seals, when I went to put the flywheel back on the key must have fell out unnoticed.

That explained that, user error.. LOL

It now runs great, runs the 24" bar buried in oak without any drama.

View attachment 579244

Pretty serious torque for a 65cc saw.

Latest posts

Back