Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer P41 - It's alive! Bought this a couple of years ago in a group bundle of chainsaws. Finally got it running today and thought I'd share some pics.
Motor was completely locked when I got it. Soaked in some Marvel, new plug, new fuel and it now runs. Now to sell it or should I completely restore? I really have no use for a chainsaw of this caliber, so will probably sell, but has been fun working with it and didn't realize that people collect chainsaws.
20201003_141829.jpg20201003_141910.jpg20201003_141903.jpg

Must not have been getting my alerts on this thread. Behind about 5 pages. Neat to see the p52 boost port stuff showing up. Not to hard to make a window in the side of a piston for the boost port. I had to do it when I converted my p62 to a 655bp top end. Long story short there is two different wrist pin sizes. The newer boost port wrist pin is smaller than the older. Little bit of time with a bur, and the thin ring piston is a boost port piston.

I have seen kits that have the incorrect pump chamber diaphragm in the kit for that carb, check to make sure the hollow pump chamber is totally sealed by the diaphragm. Even had guys mail me their carbs lately due to this mistake in the kit contents.

Have you seen this with HS model carburetors? I’m trying to get my dad’s P61 running, rebuilt the carb with a kit but still no luck...

8FC47A60-923A-4DF1-9619-38F7EB029C1E.jpeg

Have you seen this with HS model carburetors? I’m trying to get my dad’s P61 running, rebuilt the carb with a kit but still no luck...

View attachment 859861
If it is an AM kit it could very well be, what happens with the ones I have worked with was the saw would flood as soon as the recoil is pulled. Is the saw flooding immediately?

If it is an AM kit it could very well be, what happens with the ones I have worked with was the saw would flood as soon as the recoil is pulled. Is the saw flooding immediately?

Yes! I pulled the spark plug a couple times to clear the fuel and I thought it was me causing it. Sounds like I may need to try a different kit. Do you know of a brand with the correct gaskets and diaphragms?

your 8 tooth sprocket is the problem with the 68 DL chain. the saw came standard with a 7 tooth. you will need a longer chain to run a bigger sprocket! you will need to add a DL to you 68 DL chain or run a 69 DL chain with your 8 tooth sprocket. A 70 DL chain may also work, but you will definatly need 69 w/ 8 tooth. it is .75" farther around an 8 tooth sprocket. It is just math, to add an extra tooth to the sprocket you need a chain that has one more drive link and that requires two ( 2 ) more side links to fit in the extra drive link in.

The new chain and bar from Red barn will not work also because of your 8 tooth sprocket. order a 7 tooth sprocket and everything will fit.

All the P41 half wraps are supposed to have an 8T rim. The full wrap models come with a 7T rim.

1602074682888.png

Yes! I pulled the spark plug a couple times to clear the fuel and I thought it was me causing it. Sounds like I may need to try a different kit. Do you know of a brand with the correct gaskets and diaphragms?
I have the OEM originals and have used kits from, Stens without any mis fit problems. The carbs sent to me to correct were kitted with AM parts from China but I did not see the kits before install by others. Many of the AM and even some of the original kits had a selection of different shaped gaskets and diaphragms, the correct one needs to be selected. Can you post a pic of the carb apart with the gaskets&diaphragms still in place.

The Gasket & Metering Diaphram cannot be upside down , it will cause your flooding and its important also that you set the inlet control lever correctly or the engine will flood easilt not to mention a worn out metering diaphram.
Here is some good info that addresses those point l mentioned , hope it helps you resolve the issue your having.
Some of us fellas also do a Needle pop-off test on the carb ,
To help you out with the Oem parts here is a new Metering Dia and gasket. PM me your address and l will put in mail to forward to you.

Attachments

• 410, 750 Saw_001.JPG
    410, 750 Saw_001.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 9
  • 410, 750 Saw_002.JPG
    410, 750 Saw_002.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 410, 750 Saw_003.JPG
    410, 750 Saw_003.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 9
I have the OEM originals and have used kits from, Stens without any mis fit problems. The carbs sent to me to correct were kitted with AM parts from China but I did not see the kits before install by others. Many of the AM and even some of the original kits had a selection of different shaped gaskets and diaphragms, the correct one needs to be selected. Can you post a pic of the carb apart with the gaskets&diaphragms still in place.
Will do. It will be a couple of days before I can get to it.

Back