Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Good eye it's ponderosa pine. I've done about 600bft so far with a decent amount still to go on the same tree.
I've made quite a few end tables from stumps and blocks of bug kill Ponderosa pine they look very good withe the bug kill stain. My saw collection is sitting on planks of the same wood.

Thanks for sharing that video. I miss milling even if it is slow back breaking work. I need to make some time to do that soon. Nice haul of boards you got out of that tree and the 62 looks like it's running great.
Thank you Paul. I'm very happy with the p62 so far. It's been sitting on a shelf since I put the 655 top end on. Normally the 394 gets the beating, but the p62 is going to get more use now.

My last buy was this 2400. Has compression but it is far down the list to be looked at. I have a p28, p26 and my 1200s chicken coop saw apart now. Found a couple small leaks in gas tank after cleaning the 1200 and am not sure if it was my cleaning junk that did it or casting defects It looks like defects that finally wore thru.. Have to find some thing like liquid aluminum or weld it. Does it have to be welded with a magnesium rod or will aluminum rods work? I did a fair amount of welding in my trade [millwright] at the paper mill as we had training in welding but I have never welded magnesium. I have welded stainless steel, titanium cast iron a and ordinary steel and have the proper welding machines to do arc,tig and mig welding.
DSCF2519.JPGDSCF2515.JPG

If it is only a fairly small area use the expoxy that comes in a roll like a fat cigar.Cut off what you need roll it together to mix and apply.I have fixed lots of gas tanks with this.I am no welder but my buddy has welded up several chain saws for me,The muffler bolt holes on 630 670 and 266.in particular .
Kash

Thanks Kash for epoxy info. Never thought of using it. I have a two part filler we used on chemical pumps at the mill and will look at instructions to see if it is gas resistant. May be ok cause it was used to repair meth- alcohol pumps worn down impellers. If not will look for the type you said when lock down is over in ontario. If you are in contact with your buddy who welded for you will you please ask him for me what material he used as filler on the saw cases.The hole is a pinhole on the outside of saw and about 3/16 to 1/4 inside but not round but jagged. Will try to get a picture of it today if possible. May be it will show up in a photo. It is on bottom of tank near a bolt hole that keeps the two tank pieces together. Fxer

Discovered that the casting had a lot of porous areas that the factory used something to seal the spots and painted over a gray color similar to the magnesium of the casting. The mek that I used must have dissolved it.The reason I say this is the oil tank which is part of same casting had a weeping. When using very fine emery cloth to clean the gray color paint off discovered a putty like substance over a hole in the oil tank were the weeping originated. There was another hole but it was not leaking. No mek was used in oil tank. I am stubborn and am going to try the filler we used at the paper mill as it says in the instructions to be resistant to ethenal ,methenal, gasoline plus other things like chlorine and caustics.. The top pic shows leak in oil tank and bottom pic shows a couple of holes in gas tank. There are four holes in gas tank and a couple of other spots that had been covered up. I wonder why they didn,t garbage this casting.DSCF2533.JPGDSCF2538.JPG .

Thanks for the advice and offer of help rocketnorton. Would cost too much back and forth to west coast. Shipping is outrageous now. Will keep your other advice in mind. fxer

I'm not bragging because other than sharpening the chain and tuning the carb, I don't have squat to do with how great this 455 runs. I'm not even the one running it here as I let the experienced guy do that.

But I don't see many videos on here of these old Pioneer saws running. We talk about them, help each other fix them, and show pictures of them but rarely show how great they run which we all enjoy.

Now that a ran my mouth so much, hopefully this video link will work correctly!

I remember that day. We had a fun few days and got a lot done.

The BP version of my P52 is finished, and I have yet to do a timed cut for comparison. It should be a monster the way I have it now, especially after it's broken in. I did use a modified piston and still need to do your piston.

I was wondering if someone can confirm that this nozzle is damaged?

looks like someone tried to drill it out? I’ve never seen one with a hole in it like this.

Attachments

• D83D14E9-A0DF-4032-85E3-A2164D44BF04.jpeg
    D83D14E9-A0DF-4032-85E3-A2164D44BF04.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I've sifted through the models on Acres site, but I can't seem to find out what model Pioneer this saw is. Does anyone have any ideas?044.jpeg

Model HC i have one myself .Good old saw you are missing the green IEL medallion for the top cover.Not many HCs have them as they were not secured really well.I found my medallion in a small box of old parts at the dump.
The Hc was the saw that grandfathered all new saws as we know them now it was the first saw to have the Tillitson HL all postion carb all previous saws had float carbs and the bars or carbs had to be turned so they would work for falling trees etc.
You have a nice piece of chain saw history.
Kash

I've sifted through the models on Acres site, but I can't seem to find out what model Pioneer this saw is. Does anyone have any ideas?View attachment 890747

The Model lD foil tag is still on your saw Blower housing Frt side and also it is stamped frt clutch cover near your chain adjuster, you may have to clear the grime off to see it.

l took a new old stock clutch cover over to the Automotive paint supply outlet and they did a colour match for me. They offered a pint or a rattle can. l purchased a rattle can and it was enough for 5 Saws. l was very happy.
That was about 6 years ago.
The color match has been the way I have done it also and the quality of the paint is so much better than off the shelf rattle cans are.

Back