Pole Saw for use around wires?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BB, that link is directly to the FP&L site. They call it insulated. Every single power company reference calls the house drops insulated. How much more clear can it be?

It's really not complicated, folks. Insulation is the stuff that's put there to keep the current from flowing where it's not wanted. Big insulation, little insulation, pink, purple, black, clear, thick, thin, flexible, rigid, doesn't matter. If it's put there to keep current from flowing in an undesired direction, it's insulation.

If you were taught the word means something else, you got bad training in linesman school!

BostonBull said:
and as for the regs they are created by Engineers, linesman, power co, and OSHA. So you get partial credit on those ones. Everyone listed makes suggestions and OSHA decides on the standards with the national electric code people.

Thank you! I didn't see any arborists on your list. ;)

Canada follows a similar process.

All those links talk about aerial CABLES. We are not talking about aerial cable. By the standard ALL electric aerial CABLES must be insulated with a DI-electric coating.

We are talking about triplex WIRE, not cables......and yes I do realize there are wires inside the cable..... :bang:

http://www.powerlinemanmag.com/pictures/2004/september/ross/jr1.jpg

Click the link and see the wire coming to the left down past his bucket? Thats a house drop.....thats what we are talking about.

Those are what is installed 99% of the time for residential Aerial drops, wanna argue it? Ill post this at 3 of the lineman forums I belong to and let them chew it up!

YOU ARE WRONG!!!

BB, that link is directly to the FP&L site. They call it insulated. Every single power company reference calls the house drops insulated. How much more clear can it be?

It's really not complicated, folks. Insulation is the stuff that's put there to keep the current from flowing where it's not wanted. Big insulation, little insulation, pink, purple, black, clear, thick, thin, flexible, rigid, doesn't matter. If it's put there to keep current from flowing in an undesired direction, it's insulation.

If you were taught the word means something else, you got bad training in linesman school!

It has an insulating value.....which over time deteriorates. Noone knows if it is still good or not without testing. Telling these guys here it is OK to touch/play/work with this stuff, without PPE, and proper traing/testing is WRONG!!!!

I was talking about the National electric code for linesman.

for tree work it is a bunch of Arborists, as its the ANZI standard, not OSHA we go by.....and SURPRISE!!!! Its written by Arborists FOR Arborists....tough concept!

Engineers are great, but as is evident here they tend to over analyze stuff, and they are NEVER wrong!!

you have no idea

Do you really mean to tell me that a bunch of arborists got togehter and decided on what consituted safe working conditions around power lines? Can you really be that stupid?

How stupid I can be.

You took a perfectly good thread for arborist101 and turned it into electical pi$$ing contest for a dork with nothing better to do. Congradulations.
Tomorrow I'll be out working around powerlines and you'll be here pontificating about some other subject you have peripheral knowledge of, and linking the entire internet to your posts:sucks:

Last edited:
Bare Wire!!!!!

Yep. Short circuit. No INSULATION between two conductors of opposite phase. And KABOOM. Blown transformer.

I don't where you got the idea that the "coating" on a house drop is just a "weather coating", but you are dead wrong. If that's really what they are teaching linesmen, a whole lot of people should be fired.

More likely it's an industry urban legend that has sprouted from inadequate training. The same thing happens in every industry.

It has an insulating value.....which over time deteriorates. Noone knows if it is still good or not without testing.

Of course it has an insulating value. That's what it's there for - to keep the two hot leads away from each other and away from the neutral. If you don't have insulation, you have a short circuit.

Say, ever read any instructions for making a house drop connection? It will talk about trimming back the INSULATION to a certain measurement, to insert into the connector.

Telling these guys here it is OK to touch/play/work with this stuff, without PPE, and proper traing/testing is WRONG!!!!

Boston, show me where I told anybody it's okay for them to touch/play/work with this stuff.

Where?

While you're at it, show me anywhere in the electrical code, or from any other authoritative source, that says house drops are not insulated.

I was talking about the National electric code for linesman.

for tree work it is a bunch of Arborists, as its the ANZI standard, not OSHA we go by.....and SURPRISE!!!! Its written by Arborists FOR Arborists....tough concept!

The ANSI specs are taken directly, almost verbatim, from the NEC.

You didn't know that? :confused:

Last edited:
How stupid I can be.

You took a perfectly good thread for arborist101 and turned it into electical pi$$ing contest for a dork with nothing better to do. Congradulations.
Tomorrow I'll be out working around powerlines and you'll be here pontificating about some other subject you have peripheral knowledge of, and linking the entire internet to your posts:sucks:

Well, you're real good at ranting and raving, but I haven't seen any facts from you.

Nor do I expect to.

I have used non conductive hydraulic pole saws and pruners for getting limbs off of primary wires, I trimmed power lines for 18 years, I have had many situations where I had too trim a tree that was pretty much on fire when i got too it, this was with a bucket truck, if it had too be climbed the pigtail was pulled and line grounded.

Wow, here you are not allowed to do this, even with dielectrically tested tools, ever, it is a major safety violation. Mark, you are getting beaten here like a red headed step child, give up. Now Mark, a fault on a triplex does not blow the transformer, it just doesn't, it will blow the fuse to the secondaries though, thats what the fuse is there for. Again, if you are untrained, unsure, don't do it. And further more, state your qualifications before beaking off here, if you do treework around the power all the time, are a lineman, your input is valuable.

Mark.....I am done, I am getting tired repeating myself....

Did you look at the pic in the link? Those are house drops not that huge $$$ CABLE you posted earlier.

Mark,
like I said, in the field: insulation refers to protection from electricity.
not trying too step on any body's toes here, but who do you work for because if they have told you that the "insulation" will keep you safe from being killed and that because the wire is "insulated" means you can touch it then they are wrong, keep thinking that you can't get hurt by a line that is "insulated" and you might just get bit pretty dang bad or killed, the power company's also have coated primary wires, would you grab one of those? I have seen 24,000 volt lines "insulated" lay on the ground burn and blows chunks of asphalt and concrete up as bigs as 20 inches in diameter and 2 to 3 feet deep so if that was "insulated" then why did it do that? also, when I was in Louisiana after Katrina there was a guy killed by a so called "insulate" wire.

I looked at it. Typical triplex. Insulated. Has to be.

Mark, I was trained by linesmen, it is not considered insulation, just weather protection. I have handled it, but it is against the rules, here and apparently in the U.S.. Why are you so adament about this? And how do you figure that the guys that work around high and low voltage all the time should believe an armchair quarterback like you over linemen?

Back