Pole Saw for use around wires?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y Manufacturers HAVE to say that!

Manufacturers have to tell the truth, and I suspect they know more about the products they put out than you do, or any other linesman.

You are talking about aerial CABLES, dumby. We are NOT!

Service drops are what we've been talking about, and only service drops. Anybody who has a functional brain and is honest can look back through the thread and see that.

Find me the manufacturrs website oft "typical" aerial wire, and show me the specs on that.

I already have, BB. I've given all the links anybody could ever want, to see what the truth is. Residential or commercial, service drops are insulated. Period. That's what the NEC requires (though it's not "law"), that's what local building codes require, that's what's out there. It's not a weather coating, it's insulation.

If you don't want to face it, that's your problem.

If someone wants to teach people to "treat every line as if it is uninsulated" for safety reasons, I have no argument with that.

But calling insulation "weather coating" or otherwise pretending that reality is other than what it is will not keep anybody safe.

no clue how drops are done where you're at. but house drops around here is exactly as boston bull described. depending upon age... wire covering may be completely intact or partially gone with bare copper showing.

No argument there. The argument is about whether service drops are insulated, not about whether that insulation might be compromised. BB says they are not insulated. All the sources I've linked say they are. Anyone who has an ounce of common sense should be able to tell that manufacturer's websites and utility company websites are a more reliable source of informatioin than some anonymous poster on some forum.

back to the if you have to ask.... don't!
play it safe and call the power company.

Exactly what I've said all along.

That is if they spent all the time it takes to read those long winded posts.......

Heaven forbid they should actually READ what is said and follow the links to verify things!

No, can't have THAT! Somebody might find out that some of the "experienced" people here are operating with wrong information!

........like I said, in the field: insulation refers to protection from electricity.
Did you read this entire thread? I hope you didn't, because if you did this post is insane.....as a qualified line trimmer you should consider no wires "insulated" under no circumstances...ever!
I don't, everything is "HOT" to me, maybe I misunderstood what you meant by the wording you used in that first quote "insulation refers to protection from electricity" and I have read pretty much all of this thread with people bickering back and forth about "INSULATION when that really has nothing too do with the subject of this thread which is "pole saws for use around wires" not "what does insulated mean" also, you will not find one post from me saying anything about insulated wired being safe to touch but you can find several post of me trying too make this point insulated or not, those wires can and will kill you

now, I'm done with this thread as it is no more than just a flame war.

The booms on my aerial lifts are considered insulated, the liner of my bucket is insulated, my pole saws are insulated. In our field we consider all these things insulated because they are not conductive up to a certain voltage. Although teiplex wires have an insulated coat on the positive they are not "insulated". Thats not mis-information mark, thats a fact. You are not using the word insulated as its meant to be used in the field of line clearance or maintenance for that matter.

You argue a mute point that has nothing to do with Line Clearance Tree Trimming

Heaven forbid they should actually READ what is said and follow the links to verify things!

No, can't have THAT! Somebody might find out that some of the "experienced" people here are operating with wrong information!

I guess I'll turn in my Cert. Arborist tag, my ehap book and shut dow the multimillion $$ operation I am running.......my experience is virtually useless when put up against a keyboard hero like yourself.:bowdown:

never said there was not good information on AS. as there's a ton of experience on the site.

what makes it unreliable is the garbage posts that go along with the good posts.

I'm talking about what happens when a total newbie logs on to AS... reads something, say without reading the entire thread. gets the wrong idea and the wrong info. someone could get killed!

Newbies may not be able to tell who's who?

general rule of thumb is:

pole to pole is high KV transmission lines. stay the hell away from those.

pole to house is either 220 single phase or 220 three phase. these are less dangerous, but can still kill.

pole to business can carry 220 single phase, 220 three phase or higher voltage. can be extremely dangerous.

back to the if you have to ask... don't! best to call the power company.

that said... for emergencies, I've got a Jamison core filled insulated pole and insulated lineman gloves.

insulated poles if not taken care of can lose protection. they need to be tested regularly. that's why I carry a pair of insulated lineman gloves. always carried in a protective pouch and know history of what's been done with my gloves.

There is reliable information on this site. You have guys posting that are veteran CAs, MCAs, Board Certified master arborists, qualified line trimmers, People from families that have been in this business for generations, guys that have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

You just have to weed out the guys that really don't have a clew, listen to the consensus of the professionals......

A while back I read this on another website "Before the internet the village idiot had to stay in his village" I have pretty well had enough of this neverending stupid arguement, bottom line, those of us who know, will still be cutting down trees, trimming trees, beside powerlines. 'Cause we are trained, we are qualified and we are the men, thank you.

A while back I read this on another website "Before the internet the village idiot had to stay in his village" I have pretty well had enough of this neverending stupid arguement, bottom line, those of us who know, will still be cutting down trees, trimming trees, beside powerlines. 'Cause we are trained, we are qualified and we are the men, thank you.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Grounded Primary Power Lines

how do

when working around primary voltage power lines, it is better to phone the power company and talk to them about what you are doing. the power company may come out and de-energize the lines and have a visible open on them and ground them out useing ground chains which are a special jumper with special clamps on them.

are you safe to come in physical contact with the lines at that time?

if the lines that are grounded out would accidently become energized and you are in contact with the lines, there is a really good chance that you are gonna get it.

the ground chains on the lines help operate an oil filled breaker or a fused cutout or other protective devicess on that line to open up the line.

the whole idea is safety...a lineman is mostly generally more knoweledgeable about power lines.

as a lineman and in doing line clearance...most of my cuttin has been out of a bucket truck...i sure wish that some of you guys lived closer to me because i have little experience in felling trees.

i try to do all of my work in the safest way possible.

bestest ree guards

talcott

Latest posts

Back