Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I sell them. The mill is owned by my uncle and only a small operation. Some of that oak will just be cut for trailer deck, a lot of the clear stuff made into tomato stakes and grade stakes. Only made 200 on the logs but not bad for the hour it took to haul them down to him. If I had cut it up into firewood would have been maybe 2.5 cords but a bunch more work. I'm sure a bigger mill that dose flooring and Finnish hard wood would pay more but this works for both of us.

I also have another pile about the same size over the hill. When all's said & done, I'll have the woodshed full to the front, and another stack roughly the same size next to it. The outside stack I leave open to the elements to get good sun and airflow, until late Sept. when I cover it with a tarp to keep snow off.

Here it’s oak, eucalyptus, nut or fruit wood, if you want hardwoods. Almond is popular. I don’t like cutting almond, it’s a lot of time to fill up the trailer. Lots of little cuts. There’s some live oak in this area, it’s the heaviest wood on the chart someone posted in one of these threads.

picked up a couple scrounges yesterday. about 30 mins work.
P9020007.JPG

headed to the woodpile, once cut up. all oak. curb side retrievals!
P9020009.JPG

of course, the final destination... is always the same! :)
P9020013.JPGP9020017.JPGP9030018.JPG
yesterday's campfire... burned all afternoon while I worked out and about in the yard, and well into the evening, too, mowing til just past 10 pm!

You dropped a tree right next to your woodshed? Or loaded and brought it there?
No, that wood was dumped there by my arborist friend. These are pics from his property. We try to get the wood as close as possible to
where it's going to be cut/split/ stored.

For the last 14 years I've been his designated cutter/splitter/stacker. In return I get all the wood I want.

No, that wood was dumped there by my arborist friend. These are pics from his property. We try to get the wood as close as possible to

For the last 14 years I've been his designated cutter/splitter/stacker. In return I get all the wood I want.
thumbnail_IMG_0007.jpg

We load his OWB wood in these 7x7 X ft boxes

IMG_5140.JPG

One day in the not too distant future, I'll have my own firewood area on our Idaho property

On a hill? Only a level area here and there? Our Sierra place is that way.

Three tiers of property. The pic is the second tier, rolling contour, about 1.8 acres. The bottom part, the third tier, is flat, heavily forested.
In 2017 we had the pad excavated to give the architect a better idea of the dimensions. He also smoothed out the entrance road
a bit, cleared a place for the electric box & meter & moved some of the larger granite pieces off to the side.

The top section is billy goat territory, though I've seen many a deer bound up & down that section.

I can tell you when we visit, we never want to go back to Illinois. But we must hang on & finish our time here.

Latest posts

Back