Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yard setup before switching things up.

20210410_162208-firewood-woodlot-before.jpg

Yard setup after switching it up. Processor logs and oversized logs in one line, both within reach of truck for drop off.

20210411_151657-after.jpg

This is our two person setup. While I am loading the deck with logs, the wife is stacking 16" from the bins coming off the processor or trying to keep ahead of the clean up. When we are processing we are generally cutting 16" lengths. The 12" and 14" lengths are custom orders, some folks have small stoves. The 16" overflow is a place to stack wood while waiting for the two full crates to be moved.
20210411_151754-firewood-after.jpg

Up until recently, I was just cutting whatever was ordered, like 16" for example. The logs are generally cut 100" or so, so there's always a short piece left. We've been putting them aside in bins and sell them for $40. Nobody really wants them so I had to think about what to do to alleviate that from happening.

20210411_164742-firewood-ends.jpg

But, now I try to get whatever I can from the last three pieces remaining in the log going through the processor. After cutting off five lengths of 16", I take a look at how long the remaining log is in the processor. I painted a scale on the processor.
20210411_164717-firewood-processor-inch-scale.jpg

and then look at the cut scale I have marked on the machine.

20210411_164706-firewood-processor-cut-scale.jpg

and then cut accordingly. There is minimal waste ends now.
All that's left to do is move the filled crates off to the side to season.

20210411_164807-firewood.jpg

The only thing left to figure out is how its gonna work with the oversized logs and the splitter being close by. A fair bit of sawdust coming out the chainsaw. Its likely the splitter will have to move down some.

Suggestions on any of it welcomed.

Finally got the woodshed full. This wood will be for the winter of 2022/23. Approximately 75% ash, 20% sugar maple and 5% silver maple.
20210411_161520.jpg
Now I will move the splitter, clean up and start a new stack of willow and aspen to sell for campfire wood at the end of the driveway. Around here mixed crapwood goes for $6-7 a bundle in the summer. There are quite a few summer homes in the area that are owned by Chicago area residents.

These big packages in the photos are not too cheap?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean the containers that firewood is placed into? Or maybe you mean processing equipment?

Nie wiem co masz na myśli. Masz na myśli pojemniki, w których umieszczane jest drewno opałowe? A może masz na myśli sprzęt do obróbki?

Yard setup before switching things up.

View attachment 900505

Yard setup after switching it up. Processor logs and oversized logs in one line, both within reach of truck for drop off.

View attachment 900503

This is our two person setup. While I am loading the deck with logs, the wife is stacking 16" from the bins coming off the processor or trying to keep ahead of the clean up. When we are processing we are generally cutting 16" lengths. The 12" and 14" lengths are custom orders, some folks have small stoves. The 16" overflow is a place to stack wood while waiting for the two full crates to be moved.
View attachment 900504

Up until recently, I was just cutting whatever was ordered, like 16" for example. The logs are generally cut 100" or so, so there's always a short piece left. We've been putting them aside in bins and sell them for $40. Nobody really wants them so I had to think about what to do to alleviate that from happening.

View attachment 900527

But, now I try to get whatever I can from the last three pieces remaining in the log going through the processor. After cutting off five lengths of 16", I take a look at how long the remaining log is in the processor. I painted a scale on the processor.
View attachment 900530

and then look at the cut scale I have marked on the machine.

View attachment 900531

and then cut accordingly. There is minimal waste ends now.
All that's left to do is move the filled crates off to the side to season.

View attachment 900532

The only thing left to figure out is how its gonna work with the oversized logs and the splitter being close by. A fair bit of sawdust coming out the chainsaw. Its likely the splitter will have to move down some.

Suggestions on any of it welcomed.
A few crates laid out around the processor for different lengths and cutoffs, that's how its done

woodchuckcanuck, I get my logs from a bush behind my property so I process everything a little different than you but some of the things I do might help you out. When I'm felling trees I try to cut down trees that are around the same diameter. I pull the tree length to a landing all with the butt the same way and lined up at the butts. I then mark everything 13'2" with a rod and cut them to length. I then start at the butt end logs and load them onto my log wagon. As the diameter of the logs get smaller they go on my other wagon. When I get them home I have 3 long log piles and the logs are offloaded onto the diameter pile that they match. I also pile them with the butts at the same end. I'm a firm believer than have the butt to the wedge is the easiest way to split a round. Then when it comes time to run the processor I can load the same diameter logs on the deck and seldom have to move the wedge up or down and I get consistent sized splits. I have several conveyors so I can offshoot the splits to 3 different piles depending on what the wood is. I seldom move the processor. Anything bigger than 14" or smaller than 7" diameter is set on another pile and cut into 32" long for my wood boiler. The only wood we stack is our own boiler wood. We hand load everything onto a conveyor that dumps into our dump truck or dump trailer for delivery. We also don't do anywhere near the volume you do but my time is limited and my back is crap so no stacking for us.

Attachments

• 20200710_143115.jpg
    20200710_143115.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200912_170034.jpg
    20200912_170034.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200627_171325.jpg
    20200627_171325.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210320_101252.jpg
    20210320_101252.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210414_181519.jpg
    20210414_181519.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
woodchuckcanuck, I get my logs from a bush behind my property so I process everything a little different than you but some of the things I do might help you out. When I'm felling trees I try to cut down trees that are around the same diameter. I pull the tree length to a landing all with the butt the same way and lined up at the butts. I then mark everything 13'2" with a rod and cut them to length. I then start at the butt end logs and load them onto my log wagon. As the diameter of the logs get smaller they go on my other wagon. When I get them home I have 3 long log piles and the logs are offloaded onto the diameter pile that they match. I also pile them with the butts at the same end. I'm a firm believer than have the butt to the wedge is the easiest way to split a round. Then when it comes time to run the processor I can load the same diameter logs on the deck and seldom have to move the wedge up or down and I get consistent sized splits. I have several conveyors so I can offshoot the splits to 3 different piles depending on what the wood is. I seldom move the processor. Anything bigger than 14" or smaller than 7" diameter is set on another pile and cut into 32" long for my wood boiler. The only wood we stack is our own boiler wood. We hand load everything onto a conveyor that dumps into our dump truck or dump trailer for delivery. We also don't do anywhere near the volume you do but my time is limited and my back is crap so no stacking for us.
All good advice. I don't go into the woods to get logs thoguh. I have to pay a forester and either pick it up roadside if I have the time, or pay a hauler to deliver to our yard. I learned about that trick of having the stump end go in first, same for crotch pieces. That doesn't always work though for this processor. It sometimes will not split a block orientated like that. So now I don't both sorting.

Latest posts

Back