Poulan 5400 now saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama xl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got one of these from a buddy last night. That bow with no guards on it looks menacing. Looking to find a 36” bar that will fit. Haven’t fired it up yet, he said it starts hard, but once it warms up it runs good.

Any tips on care and feeding of this baby? I’ll get some pics later on or on Monday. Also wondering what HP ratings might be?

I’ve read the little bit of stuff on acres, was just wondering if there were other things I should know, like inspecting/replacing reeds at certain intervals, etc?

Air filter is just two pieces of window screen like material either side of a little cage/box. I’m guessing I can do better than this?

Compression is about 180 psi after 4-5 middling pulls on the starter, which I’ll take to be a good sign.

Spark plug is wrong heat range, so will be putting proper spark plug in there. Currently a few numbers too cold. I pulled it to do compression check and it didn’t look too bad, but was definitely darker and oilier than I would like to see. Might explain why my buddy had a hard time starting it?

On the search now for a parts diagram, since the throttle linkage has come off and it’s not entirely obvious to me how it goes back in the trigger. The fuel tank vent is just a hose from the fuel tank, so I’ve gotta get that sorted too.

Thanks, I was looking at those and wanted to make sure I was getting the right part. Got one on order now. Looks like I need to replace fuel line and probably clean the carb. Hoping there isn’t any major damage there, though I’ve seen some alternatives are possible.

I get that good Tygon from McMaster-carr. Hoping I’ve got some 1/4” at the house, if not, it will be here soon enough.

Found rim type drum for this finally. Wish I could cross reference to Oregon part, but no luck so far. Should taken oregon rim sprockets, though. Gotta sort out a few other issues, and hopefully I can get it up and running soon!

Someone did some damage to this brass screw next to the choke arm, and for once that person wasn’t me... what’s the purpose of this screw here? And where to find replacement parts for a tillotson hs176a? Is there a replacement carb that would fit if this one is not serviceable?

Attachments

• 6E8BDDDF-94D2-4662-B4CE-AB4F2DAD0884.jpeg
    6E8BDDDF-94D2-4662-B4CE-AB4F2DAD0884.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
  • B752A4F2-03A5-4F74-A736-E5AEFE0666B3.jpeg
    B752A4F2-03A5-4F74-A736-E5AEFE0666B3.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 9
I didn’t realize I could post images from my phone without much fuss, so didn’t post pics of the saw sooner. Sorry I forgot to take a pic before I took the bow off. Will get a finished product picture when I get the few parts I need and hopefully get it running

Also, if there is a way to fix spelling error in thread title from “now” to “bow”, I’d love to know.

I just found out another buddy of mine who used to actually run a small engine repair shop (and now just pretends to run one) has been holding out and has six or so of these saws squirreled away under piles and piles of hoarded junk... y’all will be the first to know if I can figure out how to get him to sell. He’s got some trees need cut, and doesn’t like to spend money, so I might have an angle...

Latest posts

Back