poulan s25da

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndhound

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cant seem to find a chain or bar for this saw, I bought this used about 15 years ago, and just started using it last year, anyway the chain is worn and Ive been on the net looking with no luck,, The manual in the case is calling for a 14in chain 1/4 pitch 76 drive links.anyone out there have any leads?? thanks

I looked at the oregon site and didnt see this saw listed,the 91s chain is showing 3/8 pitch & 52 drive links? The owners manual says 1/4 pitch & 76 drive links,, is the saw listed on that site as something other than a S25DA??Ive tried every model listed thats even close but they all pretty much pop up 3/8 & 52 low profile,

Bailey's sales 1/4" in non-safety and safety chain, in loops made up or buy in bulk.
Also Cutters Choice sales 1/4" in their catalog on page #32.

Why not switch to 3/8LP drum and sprocket, bar. Then you could find chain alot easier.

This should be the 3/8LP drum for your saw, plus this guy is a site sponsor and I have had good dealings with him in the past. So pm and ask him what he could do also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Poulan-Sprocket...ryZ85915QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
I was thinking along those lines,I was hoping to keep the saw original, But if getting chain is going to be a pain,maybe thats the way to go,So where would a guy find conversion parts to do something like that??

I just posted the drum above for you in a link.

You can also get the 3/8LP hognose bars to give you the original look, if you are really worried about it.
hognose.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I wasnt worried about the original look,Its in great shape but not mint by any means,Ive cut plenty of cords with it.I just got an email from a tech at oregon, they think they can dig one up,But Im liking your idea the more I think about it,sure would be nice to just cruise to the store,and buy a chain or bar,without spending the day looking under rocks

Put it this way, I gave away all my 1/4" poulan bars and chains in the past. 3/8LP for me on those guys too.:rock:

Cut4fun nailed it. Unless you're going to be carving, get a 3/8 sprocket. The 3/8 sprocket, bar, and chain will probably be less than getting a 1/4 pitch bar and chain.

Thanks guys,I checked the cut4fun link,and it took me to ebay with lotsa parts for saws , but I dont know exactly what Im supposed to be looking for,Im sure you can tell that Im uhhh? saw challenged, So a conversion sounds good but what do I need? I caught sprocket,chain,bar, but which ones? are the sizes universal?seems to me that like everything else I will need a (special part)..Can a guy find a conversion kit for this saw or do I need parts from other saws to get it done?I took a quick peek at grande dogs site too but like I said,I dont know what Im looking for, Sorry for all the questions about a subject that is prolly simple to you, but what heck,Im not the type to be ashamed to look for knowledge,

If you order from us here is wht you need:
SP 28006 01 SPUR SPROCKET $8.95
ORDG 14 EP50 01 14" DOUBLE GUARD BAR POULAN $14.95
WPL 16 30LP56 01 16" CHAIN LOOP 30LP 56 DL $9.95
prices may vary

Gregg

Thanks guys,I checked the cut4fun link,and it took me to ebay with lotsa parts for saws , but I dont know exactly what Im supposed to be looking for,Im sure you can tell that Im uhhh? saw challenged, So a conversion sounds good but what do I need? I caught sprocket,chain,bar, but which ones? are the sizes universal?seems to me that like everything else I will need a (special part)..Can a guy find a conversion kit for this saw or do I need parts from other saws to get it done?I took a quick peek at grande dogs site too but like I said,I dont know what Im looking for, Sorry for all the questions about a subject that is prolly simple to you, but what heck,Im not the type to be ashamed to look for knowledge,
Hey Hound , if you use the part numbers in this IPL a good dealer can look up the correct parts . See items 24 , 27 , and 28 . I remember that the P101S -56 Poulan chain is 91S Oregon chain . http://www.odref.com/poulan/pdf/poulan/gas-saws/s25da.pdf

If you order from us here is wht you need:
SP 28006 01 SPUR SPROCKET $8.95
ORDG 14 EP50 01 14" DOUBLE GUARD BAR POULAN $14.95
WPL 16 30LP56 01 16" CHAIN LOOP 30LP 56 DL $9.95
prices may vary

Gregg
Thanks,I will be getting the parts from you,sounded like a reasonable price to me , I noticed you and cuts4fun dont think much of1/4 pitch other than carving,so now Im curious is the 3/8 that much better or is it a personal pref?? No big deal one way or the other,all I know is the chain Im after is a pain to find ,I only get wood to heat the castle in winter, Im obviously no pro,
but I do have one last question, after I convert this saw is it possible to go 16in bar&chain or is that a big no no??

but I do have one last question, after I convert this saw is it possible to go 16in bar&chain or is that a big no no??
You could but the extra 2 inchs won't help you that much.The two I have,one since about 1975, have 14" bars.The oldest one has the original hard nose bar and has been converted to 3/8" low profile.I 've reworked that bar several times by the way.
An after thought not many know about.Oregon at one time made 1/4" full skip round chisel chain and I had a few loops until they quit making it.On that little saw it really made it sing.

Last edited:
yes, I agree with you 2in wont be much,And I forgot that it wouldnt fit in the case anymore,So I will get the stuff from baileys and do the conversion,sounds like the best answer,thanks for all the info,great site you guys have here..

Parts from baileys

Well the parts showed up today,so I rushed outside to change it over,anyway Im a bit stumped on how to get the old spur off,It has a concave cover with springs that appear to tension the cover on,Yet it is stamped OFF with an arrow pointing clockwise,I blocked the old spur but the cover freewheels?..Hmmm,in the center there is a recess that sure looks like a place for a puller, but before I broke anything I figured I better ask first,thanks alot

25ap 1/4 pitch

helz bells their is lots of 1/4 pitch chain out there. heck if need 1/4 pitch i can sell you 17 feet of Oregon 25ap and 2 Oregon 25 bars $40.00 includin shippin
just my beer monies worth
cheers mates:cheers:

Well the parts showed up today,so I rushed outside to change it over,anyway Im a bit stumped on how to get the old spur off,It has a concave cover with springs that appear to tension the cover on,Yet it is stamped OFF with an arrow pointing clockwise,I blocked the old spur but the cover freewheels?..Hmmm,in the center there is a recess that sure looks like a place for a puller, but before I broke anything I figured I better ask first,thanks alot

Hey Hound , this old thread should help you . http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=18726

Last edited:
s25da clutch removal

The clutch is threaded onto the crankshaft with a left-hand thread so it must be turned clockwise to remove it. If the thread were right-hand, then the clutch would unscrew itself. The notches in the clutch are for a spanner to engage. You can inprovise a universal spanner by using a vice to hold a matched pair of 1/4 inch rods ( I use the shanks of 1/4 inch drill bits) which are inserted into the notches. I wedge a #10 nut between the spring and the drill bit to hold the bit in position. You can block the crank by stuffing a length of 5/16 inch nylon rope into the cylinder with the piston at bottom dead center. With the drill shanks firmly gripped in the vice, turn the saw by pushing the rear handle downward to loosen the clutch. When tightening the clutch, make sure you have some slack in the starter rope so you don't damage the starter parts.

The simplest way is to use a brass rod and smack it with a hammer.It's a left hand thread and a little tap will loosen it and then you just spin it off.

Back