Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on my SP 380 build. It's coming along. After a tear down, port cleaning and base gasket delete. Rebuilt the carb after an ultra sonic bath. I also put a bigger (I think) fuel line. I put a 1/4" tygon line on, I drilled the tank hole out to 15/64" fits snug but doesn't kink either. New pulse line on too.
So work stops till the new parts come in: new muffler, some bolts, starter handle, carb kit (to replace one I used) and a new cylinder cover...The cover is bad boy purple, had no choice black is obsolete. I have the original but the a$$ who owned it before melted all the air baffles so bad I'm nervous to run it. I'm just gonna have to paint the purple one. I'm still looking for decals and the HD recoil off either a 380 or 330, It came with a 305 on it. Nice to see the giladroni cyl on thereView attachment 392043View attachment 392044View attachment 392046View attachment 392047

I was wondering who ended up with that saw. If it is the ebay 380 with 305 cover. Guy offered it to me before ebaying it. He also had the 305 he stole the cover from.

Cool on you getting it back together whole again.

Before 380 hit bay with 305 cover. Look like the one you got maybe.

10686990_10204743848065901_634878550541553246_n.jpg

10710797_10204790148583385_3572994652555905566_n.jpg

...You know what, maybe that's why the damn thing sounds like it's starving for fuel at WOT after a prolonged cut. Could have sworn there was only one tube going into the carb when the guy put the lines back on after the cleaning. I may just be mistaken and didn't see him replace the impulse line though, not sure if the saw would even run without both lines attached to the carb. If it is missing an impulse line, that sounds like a relatively easy fix...
nope. there is NO impulse line.
he was referring to the fact that the impulse wave is via a hole in the carb, mount, etc. i.e.-its built in. just have to make sure you don't cover it with a gasket (such as putting the gasket on upside down. don't ask how I know that).
take yer carb off and look for the hole in the face of the carb that bolts to the engine. there....... that's the ticket.

also, there IS only one line hooks to the carb.

regarding the starving - go on line and check out the hi and lo needle adjustment vids you'll find. there is truly an art to it; no "one size fits all" fix.

now, go forth and conquer

I was looking for something Poulan related on the web last week and came across a court case where Poulan was sued for kickback. The saw was an used 5200, guy won $270,000 in damages and Poulan lost the appeal as well. I will try to find it tonight.

I was looking for something Poulan related on the web last week and came across a court case where Poulan was sued for kickback. The saw was an used 5200, guy won $270,000 in damages and Poulan lost the appeal as well. I will try to find it tonight.
I rarely wish evil on anyone but that guy, with the aid of the court, just screwed everyone who uses a chainsaw.
you mean this chain spinning at 12,000 rpm might have some potential to kick back if I'm not careful where I place the tip? LIB. whodathunk.

I am glad you tried clearing that up Jerry! :) Yes... Ambull There is only one line that attaches to the carb. The fuel line from the tank, with the filter on it. You can't see the impulse "passage" without removing the carb. It is just a hole that passes through the manifold directly into the carb. No tube or line involved at all. In a way I kinda like it that way. :D Less to go wrong.

Gregg,

nope. there is NO impulse line.
he was referring to the fact that the impulse wave is via a hole in the carb, mount, etc. i.e.-its built in. just have to make sure you don't cover it with a gasket (such as putting the gasket on upside down. don't ask how I know that).
take yer carb off and look for the hole in the face of the carb that bolts to the engine. there....... that's the ticket.

also, there IS only one line hooks to the carb.

regarding the starving - go on line and check out the hi and lo needle adjustment vids you'll find. there is truly an art to it; no "one size fits all" fix.

now, go forth and conquer

Damn it, you're right. I missed the part where OhioGregg mentioned passage. I have to just shut my mouth until I get a chance to break the saw down and look it over.

I've watched the blsnelling (not sure about the spelling) videos numerous times. I think I have it down, just need more practice.

That doesn't surprise me any Gary..:( Some dumb-A$$ sued McDonalds once for spilling hot coffee on themselves. Not sure how that turned out.

Gregg,

That doesn't surprise me any Gary..:( Some dumb-A$$ sued McDonalds once for spilling hot coffee on themselves. Not sure how that turned out.

Gregg,

I remember that. Normally I would agree with you but just read the details. I know coffee is supposed to be hot but the extent of her injuries, time in the hospital, McDonalds refusal to settle for hospital costs, etc kind of changes my perspective.

Now the case against Poulan is stupid as hell.

@OhioGregg or anyone else that knows. On Gregg's pic of his 375 all cleaned up, the black plastic parts on his saw look really dark and shiny. What are you guys using to clean the plastic/rubber parts? I'm going to fiddle with my 375 a little everyday until I get it running.

@OhioGregg or anyone else that knows. On Gregg's pic of his 375 all cleaned up, the black plastic parts on his saw look really dark and shiny. What are you guys using to clean the plastic/rubber parts? I'm going to fiddle with my 375 a little everyday until I get it running.

When I get a cruddy new saw, I take it apart and give the parts an initial cleaning with mineral spirits in a pan, and a brush. :( Since I don't have a true parts washer. Afterwards, when I get the saw back to resembling a saw, I just use some kind of household cleaner in a spray bottle. I think I got a bottle of purple power stuff at the Dollar Store..LOL
Same kind of stuff as 409, Fantastic, etc. Thats all I have ever used. Nothing secrete or special. ;)

Gregg,

When I get a cruddy new saw, I take it apart and give the parts an initial cleaning with mineral spirits in a pan, and a brush. :( Since I don't have a true parts washer. Afterwards, when I get the saw back to resembling a saw, I just use some kind of household cleaner in a spray bottle. I think I got a bottle of purple power stuff at the Dollar Store..LOL
Same kind of stuff as 409, Fantastic, etc. Thats all I have ever used. Nothing secrete or special. ;)

Gregg,

Well that kind of sucks, I wanted to learn some Poulan secrets. Hoping this saw cleans up as well as yours.

As a routine, I have taken to doing much of my on going saw cleaning out in the bush before I come home. It came from the bush it stays in the bush. A cheap hand broom and a stiffer style paint brush to get the fins etc. help to clean the saw throughout the day.

I enjoy the short cleaning breaks throughout the day and it is an excuse to rest, sharpen, enjoy the scenery and what have you. It is nice to unload a few "clean" saws from the truck after a good day. Some solvent on a rag and quick wipe down once home seem to keep the looking presentable. That, and they don't leave a bunch of chip patties on the bench when you go to pull the covers and tinker.

It seems like the pitchy wood around here will set up fast and make a mess on your saw if it sits for long or gets impregnated with wood dust.

I would sure love to read the court transcript on that one.
As we continue to protect, cater to and save all the idiots from themselves we dilute the gene pool. We will likely be back to the stone age in ten generations.

I would sure love to read the court transcript on that one.
As we continue to protect, cater to and save all the idiots from themselves we dilute the gene pool. We will likely be back to the stone age in ten generations.

Problem is nobody will take responsibility for their own actions anymore. It's always "someone else's fault". Idiots.

True, good point. I just got into the habit of engaging the chain break whenever I put the saw down. It may feel weird without one, almost like OhioGregg's thumb without a manual oiler.

Personal prejudice here but you may think about changing that Oregon Vanguard chain for a non safety chain. They definitely do not cut as well as an LGX or similar non safety chain

Walbro HDB question and metering lever height question wrt aftermarket kits.

This is the second (or third) time I've encountered a carb I've had to set the metering lever below flush - like 0.015 - 0.020 or so. If I don't, I have to really turn the H down <3/4 to even get the saw to lean up. It is pig rich at 7/8 or 1.

Am I heading in the right direction thinking the button on the metering diaphram in these particular AM kits might be a tad more pronounced than OEM. Saws run well once adjusted but just wondering if anyone has run into this ever when swapping out kits? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

I don't have an OEM to compare these diaphragms to and the H needle tips look clean under 10x lens. Just leave them set low and go?

Thanks fellows.

image.jpg
Walbro HDB question and metering lever height question wrt aftermarket kits.

This is the second (or third) time I've encountered a carb I've had to set the metering lever below flush - like 0.015 - 0.020 or so. If I don't, I have to really turn the H down <3/4 to even get the saw to lean up. It is pig rich at 7/8 or 1.

Am I heading in the right direction thinking the button on the metering diaphram in these particular AM kits might be a tad more pronounced than OEM. Saws run well once adjusted but just wondering if anyone has run into this ever when swapping out kits? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

I don't have an OEM to compare these diaphragms to but the needle tips look clean under 10x lens. Just leave them set low and go?

Thanks fellows.
Doesn't sound right to me. Every Hdb I've rebuilt ran perfect with the metering lever flush with the carb body. I did have one kit that had an incorrect metering diaphragm as the nipple was protruding. Was pretty obvious .
Here is photo of a correct one

Latest posts

Back